Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 'new' W&S 16 bore single

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
My 'new' W&S 16 bore single
      #353588 - 20/05/21 12:11 AM

Hello chaps

Just thought I would share a recent find. If I can add the photographs it will be even better!

I found a 'new-in box' Webley & Scott single barrel 16 bore/ gauge a couple of weeks ago. Its proof marks show that it was made in 1962, but has never been used since. It has a 30" barrel with a top lever and a recessed hammer that has to be cocked before firing. It also has a vigorous ejector, which is good. The design dates back to 1910 and a patent by H. Baker.

It has no bead fitted to the barrel, no safety catch and no chequering either. These were made for gamekeepers to carry about loaded and closed, ready for action.

I mainly bought it because of the beautiful, untouched colour case hardening on the action. It also shoots well!

HB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My 'new' W&S 16 bore single [Re: HistoricBore]
      #353591 - 20/05/21 01:53 AM

30" bl. and no bead. Interesting indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: My 'new' W&S 16 bore single [Re: DarylS]
      #353601 - 20/05/21 06:05 AM

Lets hope you can get some photos HB, sounds a very interesting piece indeed!

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: My 'new' W&S 16 bore single [Re: HistoricBore]
      #353608 - 20/05/21 11:35 AM

Quote:

If I can add the photographs it will be even better!

Posting photos is easy.
I'll detail the issues around this first.

A photo on your mobile device or home computer is a file of information. Just like a song on a phonograph record or a page in a book, it takes up space.
The kind of space that I'm referring to is commonly called memory - we used to call it 'disc space'

The more photos you have on your device, the more space you are occupying in your total capacity of memory. More memory equals more space for more photos. More memory costs more money.

I haven't done a head count here lately, but I'm guessing that we have thousands of members.
That's potentially a lot of photos.

Scrolling through the pages of this website, we see very little, essentially almost no advertising at all. This site is pretty much all content, and from what I've been seeing for the past quite a few years it's some top notch content. A great deal of effort goes into keeping it that way, and it also takes a steady stream of money. That money comes out of the pocket of the site owner, John Hahn.

If this site was a "drag and drop" depository of image files, the site would require a constantly growing piece of physical infrastructure. John would need to have a bigger and bigger room to house all the equipment to support the constantly growing pile of image files. He'd also need to devote more and more time and money to maintenance and upkeep of the equipment, he'd also need backup power to keep it all running 24 hours a day, year round etc

Frankly that's too much to ask of anyone, anywhere.

Fortunately the rest of the world is already on board with this set of ideas and circumstances. There's a long established work-around. It's called "photo hosting service"
That's where a company sets up shop with the physical infrastructure specifically built to store your photos so that they can be instantly accessed via the world wide web.
It can be done totally seamlessly, and the process has become so easy that anyone from 5 year old children to 98 year old grandmas can do it.

There are numerous different companies who offer this kind of service.
My favorite is Flickr
Their web address is super simple to remember, it's www.flickr.com
You can actually just click in those characters and your computer will send you there. Easy as can be.

Flickr was created by the former Kodak company as a boost for their once-growing digital imagery service. Joining their site is easy. You can use the same email address for registration there that you used to join here.
Go to their site and try the sign-up process. They make it a simple and pleasant process.

Once you have done that, you can use your home computer or your cellphone to put your choice of images on their service so that you can have them show up on this site and hundreds of thousands of other sites on the internet, for others to see.

Their service can be free to you, or you can choose an enhanced service from them for a small fee.

Give it a shot.
Doing so could enable others to see the images that you have to show, without putting unnecessary and expensive load on John's resources.
We all do it, all over the web

I look forward to seeing your photos

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: My 'new' W&S 16 bore single [Re: tinker]
      #353614 - 20/05/21 12:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If I can add the photographs it will be even better!

Posting photos is easy.
I'll detail the issues around this first.

A photo on your mobile device or home computer is a file of information. Just like a song on a phonograph record or a page in a book, it takes up space.
The kind of space that I'm referring to is commonly called memory - we used to call it 'disc space'

The more photos you have on your device, the more space you are occupying in your total capacity of memory. More memory equals more space for more photos. More memory costs more money.

I haven't done a head count here lately, but I'm guessing that we have thousands of members.
That's potentially a lot of photos.

Scrolling through the pages of this website, we see very little, essentially almost no advertising at all. This site is pretty much all content, and from what I've been seeing for the past quite a few years it's some top notch content. A great deal of effort goes into keeping it that way, and it also takes a steady stream of money. That money comes out of the pocket of the site owner, John Hahn.

If this site was a "drag and drop" depository of image files, the site would require a constantly growing piece of physical infrastructure. John would need to have a bigger and bigger room to house all the equipment to support the constantly growing pile of image files. He'd also need to devote more and more time and money to maintenance and upkeep of the equipment, he'd also need backup power to keep it all running 24 hours a day, year round etc

Frankly that's too much to ask of anyone, anywhere.

Fortunately the rest of the world is already on board with this set of ideas and circumstances. There's a long established work-around. It's called "photo hosting service"
That's where a company sets up shop with the physical infrastructure specifically built to store your photos so that they can be instantly accessed via the world wide web.
It can be done totally seamlessly, and the process has become so easy that anyone from 5 year old children to 98 year old grandmas can do it.

There are numerous different companies who offer this kind of service.
My favorite is Flickr
Their web address is super simple to remember, it's www.flickr.com
You can actually just click in those characters and your computer will send you there. Easy as can be.

Flickr was created by the former Kodak company as a boost for their once-growing digital imagery service. Joining their site is easy. You can use the same email address for registration there that you used to join here.
Go to their site and try the sign-up process. They make it a simple and pleasant process.

Once you have done that, you can use your home computer or your cellphone to put your choice of images on their service so that you can have them show up on this site and hundreds of thousands of other sites on the internet, for others to see.

Their service can be free to you, or you can choose an enhanced service from them for a small fee.

Give it a shot.
Doing so could enable others to see the images that you have to show, without putting unnecessary and expensive load on John's resources.
We all do it, all over the web

I look forward to seeing your photos

A lot of people, mnost people I believe, actually have their own ISP - Internet Service Provider - Cloud, free storage space on the net, etc, whatever they are called. Most, almost all, ISP accounts, which allow people access to the internet alsdo give large amounts of free space, on the "cloud". Or on the ISP server. The cloud is just an ISP server.

This space might be able to be "hot linked". ie the file or image is visible via its address link from elsewhere on the net. It might be a private viewable space only though. Only way is to test it out.

It if can be hotlinked, load up an image file, a jpg, png, gif. An apple jpeg does not display on these forums, but can be linked still, one has to go to the file to see it.

One gets the file address which will be something like

http or https:\\mycloudspace.com\images\wonderfulrifle.jpg

Don't know how to find out the address? Look up the address bar, and modify what it shows to be like the above. Sometimes right clicking the mouse and selecting properties etc will show the address.

One then just puts the image link in the forums with the code image in square brackets at the front and /image in square brackets at the end of the address.

It is actuall;y very easy.

Or use a commercial "free" image hosting service. These allow easy upload, and ofteh even show the display code as well, but usually a different code for different forums.

ONE DAY we will have forums which allow simple uploading and maybe instant display.

As for "free" image hosting, nothing is free in real life.

PS facebook and some similar social meda do not allow hot linking from outside their platfors.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1032

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com