Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 250 grain Swift .375” round nose in 9.5x57 MS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Parabola
.224 member

Reged: 09/01/21
Loc: England
250 grain Swift .375” round nose in 9.5x57 MS
      #353484 - 17/05/21 05:48 AM

I have a box of these premium bullets that I would like to try in my Model 1910.

Has anyone and experience of using them in one?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 250 grain Swift .375” round nose in 9.5x57 MS [Re: Parabola]
      #353490 - 17/05/21 07:34 AM

Sorry - can't help with that question, however, would not the 300gr. Hornady RN be a good candidate for that ctg?
Thin jacket up front and pure lead core. Might not feed, though.
Sized down to .367", I used them in a model 96 Swede actioned sporter - 45.0gr. H4895 gave me 2,175fps and ZERO pressure signs. Case Web expansion of the NEW brass was less than .0005"(1/2 thousandth) from being FL sized. IIRC, it was .0003" in one or two areas, not all the way around.

2,175fps is the 1912 speed for 286gr. bullets from the 9.3x62. Just saying.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #353494 - 17/05/21 07:58 AM

Quote:

I have a box of these premium bullets that I would like to try in my Model 1910.

I have not used that projectile, but as you likely know (if you've reloaded for the MS before), The pre - M1924 models are very particular regarding cartridge length (OAL) and shape of projectile.

Keep your cartridges as close to this profile as possible and you won't have feeding issues:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Parabola
.224 member

Reged: 09/01/21
Loc: England
Re: 250 grain Swift .375” round nose in 9.5x57 MS [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #353525 - 18/05/21 05:48 AM

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

As the 250 grain Swift A frame are practically the same length as the 270 grain Kynoch round nose I am hopeful that they will feed crimped into the existing crimping groove. I will make up a dummy and trying feeding from the magazine first.

The 1910 is indeed a “fussy feeder”. The tolerances between the spindle and the action body are so precise that I have found in mine that some reloads which will chamber quite happily if single loaded will not enter the magazine at all, and that because of shoulder diameter rather than bullet seating.

I have had good results with 235 grain Speer and 220 grain Hornady soft points, but both need to be set well forward to feed from the magazine. On the 220 grains I have tried turning in an extra cannelure nearer the bullet base.

I have recently acquired a Lee Factory Crimp die in .375 Win. which I think will work with the 9.5 once I contrive the right thickness of washer to bear between the base of the die and the top of the shell holder.

I think that the 300 grain bullets will limit velocities in the cartridge, as well as increasing what can already be a fairly brisk recoil.

The Lyman 265 grain cast gas check shoots well in my 1910 and is a good choice for range work .

Keep Well Everyone

Parabola

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#353531 - 18/05/21 07:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

As the 250 grain Swift A frame are practically the same length as the 270 grain Kynoch round nose I am hopeful that they will feed crimped into the existing crimping groove. I will make up a dummy and trying feeding from the magazine first.

I think that the 300 grain bullets will limit velocities in the cartridge, as well as increasing what can already be a fairly brisk recoil.

You've got the right ideas.

The most critical area of the projectile seems to be about 1/3 back from the tip (of the original specification). If you have enough 'meat' there to act as bearing surface (think of Schoenauer magazine as roller bearing race, cartridges as bearings) they should feed smoothly.

I have also read of concerns regarding additional stress to the MS' delicate stock wrist from using the 300 grainer, though many report using them without problems. I have always used 270 grain RN for the M1910 but as those become increasingly scarce and as 'unleaded' is required for critter shootin' in these here parts now, I watch such threads as these with interest.

Do let us know how things work out?

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #353534 - 18/05/21 01:01 PM

Quote:

I have not used them in the same rifle you are describing,, however have very extensive knowledge and use of the Swift A-Frames in a multitude of calibers ranging from 30cal to 416 caliber..in all the different types of firearms I have used them in I have never had any feeding issues .. could be different with yours..

As to the bullet itself, IMHO, they are second to none for penetration and weight retention.. have taken well over 100 head of game with them around the planet.. Its a great bullet..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: 250 grain Swift .375” round nose in 9.5x57 MS [Re: Ripp]
      #353535 - 18/05/21 01:19 PM

Quote:

..in all the different types of firearms I have used them in I have never had any feeding issues .. could be different with yours..

The difference:

Shown are 6.5X54 - M1903 (also M1900, Y1903 and variants)
Note how magazine spool 'cradles' cartridge of proper profile.

It's about bullet profile, overall cartridge length, and clearance.

The Schoenauer rotary magazines, particularly those of pre M1924 models that lack a 'guide ring' near the cartridge shoulder, are rather particular in regards to overall cartridge length and profile of entire cartridge.

The surfaces of rotor and surrounding magazine well are precision machined to accept cartridges of exact profile specified as the proprietary cartridge for the specific model of MS (9.5X57 for M1910...). Proper fitting cartridges thus fit as would proper fitting roller bearings.

If the bullet profile is too short or narrow, particularly about 1/3 back from tip of Eley specified projectile (drawing in above post), the cartridge may shift and / or the tip fall partially into a void causing feed jam. If too long or wide they simply will not feed.

It should be noted, however, that when fed with proper fitting cartridges the Schoenauer Magazine operates with the amazing smoothness and reliability that made them legend.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1478

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com