Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Want something special--How'bout a Fitz?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Want something special--How'bout a Fitz?
      #352838 - 29/04/21 10:55 AM

Since you guys didnt like my idea of a Sheriff's Model for a big bore carry gun, how'bout a Fitz special? Back in the 20s (errr 1920s) a young Colt employee named John Henry Fitzgerald did something pretty remarkable for concealed carry big bore revolvers. He took a Colt New Service, which by anyones view is a LARGE gun and turned it into something that could be pocket carried. OK pockets in those days were larger than todays skinny jeans.

Ole Fitz chopped the 6" barrel down to two inches and bobbed the hammer; but perhaps most dramatic, he cut off the front of the trigger guard, leaving just enough to reach out under the trigger. This made access to the trigger faster with and without gloves. He also rounded the butt of the grip. Ultimately the gun could be pocket carried without fear of snagging during the draw.

By todays standard no company lawyer would allow an open triggerguard BUT real warriors like Charles Askins and Rex Applegate carried them. If thats not enough so did Clyde Barrow and Charles Lindbergh. Still not enough, ask Tom Selleck's character from "Blue Bloods", who carries the gun that was passed down through the family from grandfather, to father, to him. Need another reaso to like the idea, well then the Fitz guns lead Colt to produce the Detective Special...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FitzGerald_Special#/media/File:Fitzspecial.jpg

Im lucky enough to have a gunsmith made version. Sadly mine was damaged beyond repair in a fire.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Want something special--How'bout a Fitz? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #352884 - 30/04/21 04:38 AM

Quote:

Since you guys didnt like my idea of a Sheriff's Model for a big bore carry gun, how'bout a Fitz special? Back in the 20s (errr 1920s) a young Colt employee named John Henry Fitzgerald did something pretty remarkable for concealed carry big bore revolvers. He took a Colt New Service, which by anyones view is a LARGE gun and turned it into something that could be pocket carried. OK pockets in those days were larger than todays skinny jeans.

Ole Fitz chopped the 6" barrel down to two inches and bobbed the hammer; but perhaps most dramatic, he cut off the front of the trigger guard, leaving just enough to reach out under the trigger. This made access to the trigger faster with and without gloves. He also rounded the butt of the grip. Ultimately the gun could be pocket carried without fear of snagging during the draw.

By todays standard no company lawyer would allow an open triggerguard BUT real warriors like Charles Askins and Rex Applegate carried them. If thats not enough so did Clyde Barrow and Charles Lindbergh. Still not enough, ask Tom Selleck's character from "Blue Bloods", who carries the gun that was passed down through the family from grandfather, to father, to him. Need another reaso to like the idea, well then the Fitz guns lead Colt to produce the Detective Special...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FitzGerald_Special#/media/File:Fitzspecial.jpg

Im lucky enough to have a gunsmith made version. Sadly mine was damaged beyond repair in a fire.

Here you go: https://revivaler.com/webley-scott-mk-vi-snub-nose-revolver-45-acp/

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: Want something special--How'bout a Fitz? [Re: vykkagur]
      #353245 - 09/05/21 03:05 PM

The Fitz Special is very cool isn't it. But I'm a product of my time and I prefer the trigger guard be left intact. Rounding sharp edges and bobbing the hammer ,however, were very good ideas that have survived to this day.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Want something special--How'bout a Fitz? [Re: Checkman]
      #353280 - 10/05/21 03:25 AM

S&W "J" frames come to mind.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: Want something special--How'bout a Fitz? [Re: DarylS]
      #353294 - 10/05/21 05:08 PM

Like the S&W Model 49 Bodyguard.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Want something special--How'bout a Fitz? [Re: Checkman]
      #353307 - 11/05/21 03:00 AM

Some of them were not too bad, back in the 70's. The odd one key-holed 158gr. RN's that were issued to us.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1307

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com