Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun.
      #352558 - 21/04/21 01:06 PM

My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun

Hello all,

It was almost exactly two years ago that I traded my two Sabatti double rifles ( 470NE & 500NE ) "even-up" - two-for-one, for an original Alexander Henry Double Rifle in 450-400 3-1/4" NE.
see this post. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=doubles&Number=328857

I later replaced the 500NE, but that left me still wanting another 470NE to replace the one that I had traded away. ... well ...

I finally saw one offered for sale at a very good price, a Merkel 140 with lots of accessories to go with it. I've read a lot about Merkels over the years, and I've seen many offered for sale at what I would call bargain prices for a double rifle. I decided to bring this one home to Wisconsin. Its nice to finally have one join the family. Perhaps my post will help those looking for an adorable double rifle. It has features not found on more expensive doubles.

Here are the rifle's Specs:

Action: Anson & Deeley Boxlock
Weight: 10 lbs 10 oz
Barrels: 23-1/2"
Sights: One Standing & One Folding
LOP: 14-3/8
Features: Extended Rib w/ Greener Cross-Bolt
Features: Side-Clips
Features: Cocking Indicators
Features: Manual Safety
Features: Sling Swivels

The rifle arrived the other day with all the accessories. What a nice piece, and with so much stuff - everything from dies, to brass, to jacketed bullets, loaded ammo, tons of lead bullets for practice, and even a couple of snap-caps. A complete package. I took it immediately to the range for a test run. I fired 20 rounds in 10 pairs of 2. All 10 pairs averaged less than 1-1/2" apart. And some were astounding!

I've shown below the Custom Sighting target that I had designed some years ago. It works perfect for shooting my double rifles and developing loads. I've also shown the sighting picture that I used with this rifle. The big red fiber-optic bead fit nicely into the black arch of the target. All the groups printed right at the top of the bead -perfect for precise shot placement. I shot several loads. Some reduced loads for "fun" and a few Factory as well. All grouped wonderfully!

Now I know why people like Merkel Double Rifles.

ORIGINAL PICTURE SENT BY THE SELLER SHOWING THE RIFLE AND ALL THE ACCESSORIES INCLUDED

.. MY CUSTOM SIGHTING TARGET - FEEL FREE TO COPY AND TRY IT

.. MY SIGHT PICTURE WITH THIS RIFLE

.. 50 YARD 4-SHOT FUN LOAD GROUP - 44-1/2 FT/LBS RECOIL

.. 50 YARD 2-SHOT FACTORY AMMO GROUP - 67-1/2 FT/LBS RECOIL
When I moved out to 100 yards, all groups averaged under 4". Here's an example.

.. 100 YARD 4-SHOT FACTORY AMMO GROUP

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: buckstix]
      #352559 - 21/04/21 01:08 PM

Looking good!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: tinker]
      #352560 - 21/04/21 01:40 PM

target is promising

its allways nice to get the reloading stuff with a new gun so you can start with ammo making and don't have to look and to wait especially with harder to find stuff.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: lancaster]
      #352564 - 21/04/21 02:11 PM

That 400gr. group looks GREAT for NA shooting. Well, done, buckstix.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: DarylS]
      #352565 - 21/04/21 03:56 PM

Those groups look usable. But I wonder if the bullets and abrrels are still not spreading as the distance increases.

Perhaps try increasing the velocity a small amount, bring the barrels in closer together and maybe drop them lower on the target as well with more velocity.

But no problems with the regulation at all at 50 yards. Except maybe hitting a little high. But can be well used on deer sized game out to a 100 yards as is.

Doing well.

I have always liked the Merkels. A plain rifle but on the used market often very affordable and do what they are meant to do.

Well done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: NitroX]
      #352571 - 21/04/21 08:54 PM

thought the standard 470 ammo was at 2150fps?
Looks a bit low for factory ammo - still I wouldn't want to get in front of that load either!
Nice one Bucksticks, very nice indeed

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: 93x64mm]
      #352572 - 21/04/21 09:24 PM

VERY NICE! I have the same rifle. Ive taken it too Afrika a couple times. My only issue is it tends to shoot high with Hornady ammo. My field solution was to use the middle flip up sight for for shorter distance shots until I can obtain a higher front sight. Its simple and it worked.

I had a 9.3x74R Sabatti that was great but I wanted something bigger and better. I miss the Sabatti but I like my Merkel more. I used my Sabatti more at home for Wild Boar. The Merkel is just cooler

Used double rifles either go for big numbers or are almost impossible to sell for reasonable prices. Ive seen DRs offered for only 2/3s of their value and sit with no interest. The sad fact is DRs have a limited market.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

buckstix
.400 member

Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: 93x64mm]
      #352573 - 21/04/21 09:35 PM

Quote:

Looking good!

Hello tinker,
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

target is promising
its allways nice to get the reloading stuff with a new gun so you can start with ammo making and don't have to look and to wait especially with harder to find stuff.

Hello lancaster,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes. Although I still had some left-overs from my first 470NE, all the stuff with this purchase easily amounted to over $1500 added to the buy, making it a very, very good deal.

Quote:

That 400gr. group looks GREAT for NA shooting. Well, done, buckstix.

Hello Daryl_S
Thanks for the reply.
Yes indeed. I like to think that I can take any of my double rifles for a walk during deer hunting here in Wisconsin.

Quote:

Those groups look usable. But I wonder if the bullets and brrels are still not spreading as the distance increases.
Perhaps try increasing the velocity a small amount, bring the barrels in closer together and maybe drop them lower on the target as well with more velocity.
But no problems with the regulation at all at 50 yards. Except maybe hitting a little high. But can be well used on deer sized game out to a 100 yards as is.
Doing well.
I have always liked the Merkels. A plain rifle but on the used market often very affordable and do what they are meant to do.
Well done.

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.
Compared to many of my other double rifles, the groups from this one are very acceptable, considering my 69 year old eyes.

Quote:

thought the standard 470 ammo was at 2150fps?
Looks a bit low for factory ammo - still I wouldn't want to get in front of that load either!
Nice one Bucksticks, very nice indeed

Hello 93x64mm,
Thanks for the reply.
I have found that "all" of my double rifles shoot Factory ammo at velocities Lower than published. In this case the short 23-1/2" barrel length might also be a factor. Much of the published velocities are done with longer test barrels. When I looked back at the data from my 470NE Sabatti, the Factory ammo also averaged about 2050 fps.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352598 - 22/04/21 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Those groups look usable. But I wonder if the bullets and brrels are still not spreading as the distance increases.
Doing well.
Well done.

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.
Compared to many of my other double rifles, the groups from this one are very acceptable, considering my 69 year old eyes.

Very usable groups.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mauserand9mm
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #352618 - 23/04/21 08:36 PM

Yes I also like Merkel and have a 500NE myself.

Beware though, if it's true to history, you may develop a rattle in the buttstock, and make sure you always fire the RH barrel first (front trigger). Let us know how you get on and I can explain further if required, unless yours is newer than mine and has modifications. I bought mine second hand but virtually new in 2012.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #352645 - 24/04/21 11:20 PM

Quote:

Yes I also like Merkel and have a 500NE myself.

Beware though, if it's true to history, you may develop a rattle in the buttstock, and make sure you always fire the RH barrel first (front trigger). Let us know how you get on and I can explain further if required, unless yours is newer than mine and has modifications. I bought mine second hand but virtually new in 2012.

Hello mauserand9mm,
Thanks for the reply.
According to the Factory, mine was made in 2005. I typically shoot front trigger first. (right barrel) I have noticed that the front trigger pulls easily, while the rear trigger is very hard - almost too hard. That doesn't concern me because I assume its to prevent mechanically doubling and/or strumming.
But, please explain further.

I couldn't find an original Merkel case, so I bought a Winchester 101 replica canvas and leather hard case, and I modified it to fit this gun. First 2 pics are as the case was advertised, the next 2 are as modified to fit my gun. You might say I "Merkel-ized" it.

--------------------

mauserand9mm
.375 member

#352669 - 25/04/21 07:26 PM

Hi buckstix. The rear trigger in mine is only slightly heavier than the front. Now I'm not sure of the correct terminology but here's a description of what is inside mine. The rear trigger mechanism has a recoil operated interceptor that blocks the sear arm of the LH barrel so it stops the sear from tripping on that side when the other (RH) is fired. It doesn't have the interceptor on the RH barrel sear mechanism.

Mine will fire both barrels almost guaranteed if the LH barrel (rear trigger) is fired first. I've also played around (unloaded) with the front trigger - it's articulated. If the front trigger is pushed forward and allowed to spring back by itself it will fire that barrel.

I'm happy to live with this and always fire RH barrel first. The manual says to do this for regulation purposes (I don't really believe this) and it doesn't mention anything about having both barrels fire if the LH barrel is fired first - but it makes me wonder why there is only 1 interceptor.

In the case of the butt stock rattle - there is a steel cylinder bar in the butt stock that adds weight to balance the rifle (and reduce recoil). It has a steel plate that screws into the weight (with a metal thread screw, or bolt) and a timber screw to hold it into the timber. Apparently it's fairly common for the heavy kickers (470NE & 500NE) to snap the head off the wood screw due to recoil. Then the weight can slide fore and aft in the recess in the stock, and rattle. This happned to mine and I haven't yet repaired the wood screw (or extracted what's left in the timber of it) and have used O-rings instead to tighten the fit of the bar in the stock - seems to have worked well.

The balance, fast sight acquisition and excellent regulation far outweigh these issues for me.

It regulates well with 570gn and 450gn copper projectiles (both using 106gn AR2209, and Woodleighs of course) and even 430gn cast with Trailboss.

Edited by mauserand9mm (25/04/21 07:28 PM)

buckstix
.400 member

Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #352678 - 25/04/21 11:10 PM

Quote:

Hi buckstix. The rear trigger in mine is only slightly heavier than the front. ... The rear trigger mechanism has a recoil operated interceptor that blocks the sear arm of the LH barrel so it stops the sear from tripping on that side when the other (RH) is fired. ... Mine will fire both barrels almost guaranteed if the LH barrel (rear trigger) is fired first. I've also played around (unloaded) with the front trigger - it's articulated. ... I'm happy to live with this and always fire RH barrel first. The manual says to do this for regulation purposes (I don't really believe this) and it doesn't mention anything about having both barrels fire if the LH barrel is fired first - but it makes me wonder why there is only 1 interceptor....

Hello mauserand9mm,
Thanks for the reply.
My rifle does not have an articulated front trigger. Is there an easy way to check if my rifle has the interceptor on the left trigger? Or if it does not have it, is that perhaps why the left trigger pull is so much heavier than the right - to avoid doubling?

--------------------

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
      #352693 - 26/04/21 03:09 AM

Congratulations on your new double rifle. I hope you enjoy it and get great service from it.

Interesting to see the mention of an articulated front trigger. Non of my double shotguns has such a trigger, but one of my double rifles does. That is the Beretta action shown below:

It seems to work fine with no problems.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

mauserand9mm
.375 member

#352918 - 30/04/21 08:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi buckstix. The rear trigger in mine is only slightly heavier than the front. ... The rear trigger mechanism has a recoil operated interceptor that blocks the sear arm of the LH barrel so it stops the sear from tripping on that side when the other (RH) is fired. ... Mine will fire both barrels almost guaranteed if the LH barrel (rear trigger) is fired first. I've also played around (unloaded) with the front trigger - it's articulated. ... I'm happy to live with this and always fire RH barrel first. The manual says to do this for regulation purposes (I don't really believe this) and it doesn't mention anything about having both barrels fire if the LH barrel is fired first - but it makes me wonder why there is only 1 interceptor....

Hello mauserand9mm,
Thanks for the reply.
My rifle does not have an articulated front trigger. Is there an easy way to check if my rifle has the interceptor on the left trigger? Or if it does not have it, is that perhaps why the left trigger pull is so much heavier than the right - to avoid doubling?

The only way to check for the interceptors is to remove the bottom plate, and it's mounted on the inside of the plate:

You can see the arms of the sears that the triggers activate and that the interceptor catches:

I also have photos of the bar weight in the stock, attachment arrangement and broken wood crew:

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352924 - 30/04/21 09:05 PM

Hi Buckstix, I hope you do not mind. I have used this image as an illustration on double rifle regulation on the NitroExpressCom facebook page and group.

I will also post my post on a thread here on NE. Where most of our members know it all already.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

buckstix
.400 member

#353355 - 12/05/21 09:23 PM

Quote:

Congratulations on your new double rifle. I hope you enjoy it and get great service from it.
Interesting to see the mention of an articulated front trigger. Non of my double shotguns has such a trigger, but one of my double rifles does. That is the Beretta ... It seems to work fine with no problems.

Hello crshelton,
Thanks for the reply.
The articulated front trigger is a nice feature on heavy recoiling doubles.

Quote:

The only way to check for the interceptors is to remove the bottom plate, and it's mounted on the inside of the plate: You can see the arms of the sears that the triggers activate and that the interceptor catches: I also have photos of the bar weight in the stock, attachment arrangement and broken wood crew:

Hello mauserand9mm,
Thanks for the reply.
Thank you for the detailed photos that you posted. Someday I will disassemble my Merkel and see if it is the same.

Quote:

Hi Buckstix, I hope you do not mind. I have used this image as an illustration on double rifle regulation on the NitroExpressCom facebook page and group. I will also post my post on a thread here on NE. Where most of our members know it all already.

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm glad my photo could help with your explanation, and thanks for the recognition on the posts.

--------------------

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #353392 - 13/05/21 06:01 PM

Re: Triggers on Double Guns.

Rear Trigger on a double triggererd double gun - whether its a rifle or a shotgun generally has a heavier pull weight than the front. Firstly for reasons of safety - you do not want the second being discharged by the recoil of the first. But more importantly gives you more control on the second shot - most second shots are much more dynamic. It's a faster follow up shot on the duck that barreling skywards, or on a double rifle, its the follow up on a fast disappearing buffalo. Adrenalin is up, trigger finger is moving fast back onto the trigger, so a bit of extra weight helps you to control things.

Given the way the doubles need to be shot - ie firmly held and squeezed in, a bit of weight on the front trigger I find really helps the whole process. On my Hambrusch I do have a push forward set trigger that is very light. When set I find it difficult to shoot accurately as you are trying to counterbalance a firm hold on the rifle with a delicate touch on the set trigger. Unset - breath in and as the sites align, squeeze both hands and think the bullet into the target and breath out on the follow through.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: My first Merkel Double Rifle - 470 NE - this is a great gun. [Re: HeymSR20]
      #353728 - 25/05/21 09:04 AM

Quote:

Re: Triggers on Double Guns.

Rear Trigger on a double triggererd double gun - whether its a rifle or a shotgun generally has a heavier pull weight than the front. Firstly for reasons of safety - you do not want the second being discharged by the recoil of the first. But more importantly gives you more control on the second shot - most second shots are much more dynamic. It's a faster follow up shot on the duck that barreling skywards, or on a double rifle, its the follow up on a fast disappearing buffalo. Adrenalin is up, trigger finger is moving fast back onto the trigger, so a bit of extra weight helps you to control things.

Given the way the doubles need to be shot - ie firmly held and squeezed in, a bit of weight on the front trigger I find really helps the whole process. On my Hambrusch I do have a push forward set trigger that is very light. When set I find it difficult to shoot accurately as you are trying to counterbalance a firm hold on the rifle with a delicate touch on the set trigger. Unset - breath in and as the sites align, squeeze both hands and think the bullet into the target and breath out on the follow through.

Hello HeymSR20,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I agree with everything you say. I only asked the question of heavy rear trigger pull because it seems much heavier than most of my other double rifles. But then again, I notice it because I'm slowly squeezing for an accurate second shot on paper. I'm sure in the field, when facing dangerous game, it wouldn't be noticed at all.

BTW mauserand9mm, an email from Merkel confirmed that my rifle does have an intercepting sear on the rear trigger - just like yours.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4495

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com