Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: MS 8x60S spectacular kills!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/20
Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
MS 8x60S spectacular kills!
      #352233 - 10/04/21 05:52 PM

Was taking the old girl out for her second hunting trip 2 weeks ago! First trip last year was dry! Not even a shot fired... This trip however turned out great!
Classic walk and stalk in the Eastern Cape area in SA. Lots of game.
This guy was busy digging all over the place when i stumble upon him. Shot at 60 yards. He ran off and fall over after 30 yards. I used 196 grain bullets.

Enter just behind shoulder, but did not exit other side.
We later recovered the bullet. After it entered, it went sideways to the hind quarter, where we find it below the skin. Retained almost all of its weight.

later in the day i stumble upon this bluewildebeest. I stalked it for about 30min until we manage to get to a opening in the bush. As the wildebeest stopped and turnded to look back, I took the shot of shooting sticks. It was one of those once in a lifetime shots... the wildebeest drop right there in it tracks! Afterwards i walked the distance at 150yards on the dot. On examination the bullet hit perfect in the neck, broke the vertebrae and went through! I must admit it was a lucky shot!javascript:void(0)

As we all know, the bluewildebeest is one tough bugger! I must say i'm quite please with the 8x60S performance on both animals, and this is now one of my favourite rounds! The little MS rifle is also a dream to carry for the whole day, and i now understand the term snap shots, as both animals was shot within 1-2 seconds after i had the opportunity of a shot.

--------------------
"the real Africa is still out there... you just need to know where to find it"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: Vintage_Canvas]
      #352235 - 10/04/21 07:50 PM

Congratulations on your hunt, VC, and for giving a new life to that attracting old lady!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: Louis]
      #352241 - 10/04/21 08:23 PM

Marvelous stuff!
Bugger the harp-strumming angels and fluffy clouds, walk and stalk in a game-rich area with a true classic rifle is my idea of heaven!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: Marrakai]
      #352257 - 11/04/21 02:13 AM

Outstanding!

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #352258 - 11/04/21 02:17 AM

Most excellent Vintage Canvas on your trophies! The old 8x60S works very well indeed. I really wish my eyesight would allow me to hunt without using a scope that hinders the balance of my M/S. Is your rifle a Model 1950?

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: JDL]
      #352262 - 11/04/21 03:45 AM

Quote:

Most excellent Vintage Canvas on your trophies! The old 8x60S works very well indeed.Is your rifle a Model 1950?

No, it's a prewar M 1925 obviously. Look at the magazine floorplate with two holes and the singletrigger guard.

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: JDL]
      #352263 - 11/04/21 03:45 AM

Weidmannsheil!

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: Marrakai]
      #352272 - 11/04/21 07:01 AM

Quote:

Marvelous stuff!
Bugger the harp-strumming angels and fluffy clouds, walk and stalk in a game-rich area with a true classic rifle is my idea of heaven!

Couldn't have been put better - Amen to that!

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: 93x64mm]
      #352279 - 11/04/21 11:39 AM

Well done indeed VC!!, Wonderful rifle.

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: paradox_]
      #352281 - 11/04/21 03:41 PM

Thank you guys!
Axel, i used the loads that you have send me last year! Not going to bother with anything else!
JDL it is a M1925. I bought it a while ago from a guy that inherit it from his grandfather, but did not know what he had!! He sold it, because he said he could not mount a scope on the rifle, and could not get ammunition...
After I got the rifle, I cleaned her up, re-oiled the stock, got all the reloading components, and with the help of Axel, manage to get a nice load! I even manage to get PPU ammunition from a obscure firearm dealer, that was old stock lying in his safe! I use the PPU for target practice and will use the shells to reload again.

I was very blessed on this last trip, and had a lot of opportunities. Us lucky ones that live here don't always appreciate what we have here!! I wish all of you guys can experience Africa at least once...

The old girl taking a rest!

Our tracker searching for koedoe

Type of terrain that just make you hold your breath...

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #352285 - 11/04/21 07:21 PM

Well done Vintage Canvas.

Taking an old girl for a walk and a shot.

I like seeing the photos of your hunting area. Is this in the Western Cape? If you don't mind, what region/area in South Africa?

When I have visited South Africa I imagined living there. That was actually the plan some 35 years ago. Instead ended up in the UK. Did travel to Easern and Southern Africa though. And who wouldn't want to live and work somewhere where a person could go for a walk and shoot some wild pork or venison.

Of course SAf hunters often make an annual sojourn to shoot some biltong for the year, but I have always liked the idea of "living" s hunting life, go for a hunt on a weekend for the odd game animal. Live the life, rather than just go for a hunt.

I have always wondered how common that is in South Africa, with game outfitting safari industry so prevalent?

Once thought about locating in the Cape wine areas? Any hunting there at all? If one lived at Tulbagh or Frankshoek or Somerset near Stellenbosch is there any local hunting in these closer settled regions? And if so, what sort of game?

Some photos of lovely countryside, thanks for sharing

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (11/04/21 07:31 PM)

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: NitroX]
      #352293 - 11/04/21 08:40 PM

Hi John
The area that we hunted is in the Eastern Cape province. I attached a map to show the area.
The big red oval circle is a area of about 200kmx200km big.
It is very popular with local hunters, as there is a lot of game, prices is still relative cheap and the climate is great. It is also malaria free, and there is a good road infrastructure. It is also possible to hunt big 5 in this area.

Your idea of living a hunting life is very possible in this area, and i know a lot of farmers who grew up like that, and currently all their kids is living the same life. Start with a air gun on birds, then move to .22 for ground squirrels, dassie etc, then on to bigger .223 or .243 for springbuck, blesbuck or impala. and so on...
One can hunt this area on different farms for the whole year, and visit a new farm every weekend.
Unfortenately this area is also changing the last few years to cater for the international market, and some farms only take international hunters! But covid changed things since last year! So owners is again willing to take locals at huge discounted rates! Remember all of our hunting as locals is mostly on private farms, and is self-catering. Accomodation is sometimes excellent, but mostly modest to bare minimum. But is'nt that what hunting is about??
If one live in or around Cape town, Stellenbosch, Franschoek or around, one can be in the great Karoo in about 2 hours drive. There its mostly springbuck, gemsbuck and koedoe.
The area that we hunt in the Eastern Cape is about 800km from there. I have marked the Western Cape near Cape town in small red circle. Myself lives in George, the small red dot.It is a 400km journey to the Eastern Cape from George, but we also have nice hunting about 70km from where i live in George, in the Klein Karoo!
I will maybe later do a complete map of SA with all the different hunting areas, what is the area best for and also price wise??
Regards
Niel

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #352338 - 12/04/21 05:14 PM

Looks like you had a ball hunting with that lovely rifle. Well done, really nice animals as well. Thanks for all the info. A map of SA with hunting areas and prices would be very handy indeed.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352342 - 12/04/21 07:43 PM

Niel, Thanks for the detailed reply and yes, please post the map and information.

I had a look at a map to see how far East I got and couldn't find Port Elizabeth, now obviously known by some unintelligible darkie name of Gqerberha, reads like some spam email spider word ....

I got as far as Port Elizabeth and Addo, which looks to be a bit towards the coast from your hunring area.

Looks like a nice place to hunt. And especially cool if the big five are also present in places.

Addo while a National park, also had elephonat of course, but also rhinio, black rhino I think the spoor pile was from, we didn't see it. A lion pride in the distance, the bakkies couldn't approach in a SAf park. Leopard, didn't see any. Cape buffalo of course. I remember an elephant chasing our Landcruiser on a road for a long distance. But most elephant did not have their musk glands leaking unlike the elephant where I had hunted previously in the Zambezi Valley.

One day I hope to visit the area again and also further to the East in Natal. A Nyala and Bushpig are on my wanted list. Also the "small guys" antelopes.

So hunters living in the closer settled regions around Stellenboach need to travel a fair distance to hunt? is ther eno buck living in the areas around the vienyards at all? There are tall mountains, surely some wild game still exists? Even if not in great numbers? I would think vineyards would sometimes have some buck feeding in them in the mornings or at dusk and over night. Duiker? Bushbuck? And I would assume an occasional leopard still lurks in those mountains? Am I wrong in my beliefs?

I have visited George! Is it not a seaside city or town with a circular bay and a small island at the mouth of the bay? I think this is the city where we did a "ghetto tour" with a local black tourist agency who took us into the otherwise unsafe black township areas, up on the hill above. They were actually Sudanese settlers and had a shop there. Also visited a school or orphanage with some craft shop. Bought some table place mats there, as we were onbviously expected to buy something. Given the hsotory of the ap[artheid era where the school kids were on strike, riots, burnings etc etc etc. From their point of view obviously. Interesting those telling us all this actually came from Sudan or Somilia and obviously moved to SAf SINCE white rule ended ... so not them at all. Complete foreignors.

But interesting enough to hear it and see all the sights of George. If that is where it was.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352344 - 12/04/21 08:00 PM

Oops looking at a map, that was Krysna. The next town to the East.

I remember George for some reason though?

Good to see George is still George.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #352399 - 14/04/21 05:56 AM

thanks for the pics, very nice

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: lancaster]
      #357489 - 21/10/21 02:40 PM

Bttt

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #357507 - 22/10/21 04:36 AM

Excellent thread - thank you. Really nice rifle and that South African landscape looks great. There are a couple air gun bloggers who hunt that area with their PCP air rifles, as well as powder burners. At least the landscape looks the same. They hunt dassie, ground squirrels, monkeys and antelope.
Nice.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: MS 8x60S spectacular kills! [Re: DarylS]
      #357509 - 22/10/21 06:15 AM

Hi Daryl
yes, you are correct! They have a Youtube channel called Oxwagon Diaries. See link. It is not quite the same area, but is close enough.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oxwagon+diaries+28
They use air rifles and I think a .260 remington for long range shots...

The Eastern Cape in SA is really a underrated hunting destination, and one of my personal favourite areas! The variety of game, landscape and terrain is unique and one can hunt anything from steenbuck to eland in one day! All while walk and stalk in some of the most beautiful terrain anywhere in the world!

Niel

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #357511 - 22/10/21 07:49 AM

Brilliant trip VC!
Not wrong about the landscape, magnificent to say the least!
Hoping to see more of these adventures of yours
Cheers

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3514

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com