Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: she wasnt hunting ----but its a harsh outback

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
she wasnt hunting ----but its a harsh outback
      #3034 - 29/05/03 08:25 AM

This is a message to all that are not prepared with safety gear etc for outback travel,i spent a few years that way and it is a tough place on vehicles.Be prepared.

Rescue from dusty death
By KARA LAWRENCE
29may03

THE text message was short and urgent: "Lost in desert, car a wreck . . . emergency." Patricia Gerondis, lost and stranded in the harsh mid-north West Australian outback for three days, had sent her cry for help from her mobile phone to brother Michael in Sydney.

A police officer, Michael was in court on Monday morning when he received the SMS SOS.
Patricia, 37, was alone, dehydrated, scratched, bruised and terrified she would die before anyone found her.

She had not told anyone of her travel plans in the rocky, unforgiving terrain -- so barren of water that even kangaroos don't venture there.

The sharp ground had shredded all the tyres on her 4WD.

And worst of all, despite repeated efforts to reach the outside world, Patricia could get no reception on her mobile . . . until she reached her brother.

Michael then helped save her life, co-ordinating police and emergency services searchers.

Patricia had sent the message: "Please call Karatha (WA) police and ask what they can do.

"Saw sheep and road dust. I think have my back to sun, it was on left. Emergency," it read.

Patricia, speaking from hospital late yesterday, praised the rescue efforts of WA authorities and said her brother had acted as her "lifeline" through the ordeal.

"I thank him for the fact that, thank God, I could get through to him, that he's the sensible one who could liaise between the two (search authorities) and let me know what was happening," she said.

Patricia was planning a trip from Coral Bay to Cape Range National Park last Friday, as part of a last tour of WA before returning home to Bondi, where her parents live.

She had spent a year as a midwife in Newman.

But after she left Coral Bay about 11am, starting her journey along the Coast Road, she stopped for directions -- which turned out to be wrong.

The track she took had turned into rocky terrain and, low on petrol and panicking, Patricia continued way past where she should have headed.

By that time, the sun was setting and all four tyres on her 4WD were holed. All around her, as far as the eye could see, there were only hills.

Patricia set up her tent and, between trying unsuccessfully to dial 000 and send text messages to people she knew, lit a fire and rationed sips of her water.

"I had food with me and plenty of water, but because nobody knew I was lost, I didn't know how long it would last me," she said.

On Monday morning, she decided to climb a hill and see if she could dial 000. It finally worked, and she reached a local police station.

Patricia then went down and sat on the roof of her 4WD, where she found she could SMS.

She sent a message to her brother, a fraud squad detective, who contacted the officer at Exmouth police who was co-ordinating an air search.

That day Patricia and her brother exchanged 21 messages as Det-Insp Gerondis maintained SMS contact with his sister and the WA police officer who was directing the search.

Michael said: "He was very good and he was organising the plane to go and find her, then I told him what she said about the road dust and the sheep.

"(Patricia) told me she thought she saw a plane which was to left of the sun but way over the hill.

"They redirected the plane and they found where she was.

"She was very lucky."

SES spokesman Gerry Blum said the area where she was found was "serious country" where no water could be found.

The private plane spent two hours searching before spotting Patricia beside her disabled 4WD, almost 4km off the nearest dirt track.

Patricia covered the car with a sheet and attached a crystal to reflect the sun from her aerial.

Two emergency services vehicles shredded six tyres between them as they drove through the bush to reach her.

Patricia was then taken to Exmouth hospital for observation.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: she wasnt hunting ----but its a harsh outback [Re: gryphon]
      #3341 - 17/06/03 09:43 AM

WOW! It just goes to show you that no matter where you go, the bush is unforgiving!

Karl
.275 member

Reged: 28/05/03
Loc: South Pacific
Re: she wasnt hunting ----but its a harsh outback [Re: gryphon]
      #3513 - 01/07/03 01:12 AM

Gryphon,
Lucky she didn't die or locals in Karatha may have faced restrictions in driving where they want.

Seriously I get sick of these people who think nature will be like a walk in the city, or life is like a TV show where everything will always work out.

Where I grew up near the rainforest in North queensland some of the world's best swimming holes are off limits now to locals(I'm talking $10,000 fines) because tourists get themselves lost or killed.

Karl.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: she wasnt hunting ----but its a harsh outback [Re: Karl]
      #3521 - 01/07/03 02:43 PM

I extremely amazed her mobile phone worked in the bush. Australia is a big country and outside of urban areas and other than along some major highways there is NO coverage. Probably less than 10% of the continent (no sure what Telstra says at the moment).

Relying of being saved by a mobile phone call is extremely foolish and I think she can't have been that far into the bush to get a call through (don't know that area).

The "best" story I ever heard was of a Japanese motobike rider who set off along the "Gun barrel Highway" with no other drink than a single can of Coke. When his motorbike broke down he sadly died and was actually within a hundred metres of a stock water bore (which had water in it). He was too stupid to drink the bore water. Guess it had to come out of a bottle or can to be drinkable

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1667

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com