Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today..
      #351892 - 31/03/21 04:22 AM

Probably NOT the best, but a few good ones in this article..
It's gopher season in this part of the world, so the article is timely..

The Best Rimfire Rifles
From bargain plinkers to high-end tack drivers, this list of top rimfires has it all

BY RICHARD MANN MARCH 19, 2021
https://www.outdoorlife.com/10-best-rimfire-rifles/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: Ripp]
      #351894 - 31/03/21 04:37 AM

Nice article. Not sure the Henry survival rifle is one of the best. I saw one of the original and certainly wasn't impressed.

But, I guess if I overturned my canoe in rapids 50 miles from a road & lost everything except this floating 22 survival rifle, I may think this survival rifle is fantastic.

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: 85lc]
      #351904 - 31/03/21 02:50 PM

That gun used to be by Charter Arms. I guess their patent ran out on it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: DarylS]
      #351914 - 01/04/21 12:30 AM

Quote:

I have looked at them through the years.. have never pulled the proverbial trigger and purchased one..If I did I would probably get the Ruger 10/22 Takedown instead..
https://ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

Always nice to have a little .22 rimfire around..which we usually do whether camping, etc.. just for plinking, etc..now that the kids are getting older I like to have them target practice while we are together as well..

--------------------

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #351917 - 01/04/21 01:58 AM

The Henry "survival rifle" was developed by Eugene Stoner and initially sold by ArmaLite as their AR7 in the early 1960. I thought it was an interesting concept until I saw one. Everything fit into what looked to me to be a huge plastic buttstock, When out together, it was ugly.

Of course, it it were a question of having that gun or nothing, I would select it. but as Ripp said, a Ruger 10/22 would be much nicer.

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #351918 - 01/04/21 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have looked at them through the years.. have never pulled the proverbial trigger and purchased one..If I did I would probably get the Ruger 10/22 Takedown instead..
https://ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

Always nice to have a little .22 rimfire around..which we usually do whether camping, etc.. just for plinking, etc..now that the kids are getting older I like to have them target practice while we are together as well..

At least they included the CZ in their list.

I may get a Ruger 10/22 one day on my agricultural licence as in theory I can get a 12 gauge semi auto or pump, which I have AND a rimfire semi auto. Which I don't have. In theory. Will find out one day if I try. The semi autos are fairly expensive now as little demand and few available.

A take down 10/22 would be something different and nice.

A camp rimfire is an old tradition for plinking, fun. practice and small game meat for the pot.

The BGRC has a competition for the camp rifle, and our branch has one with .22 RF single shot Lithgow bolt actions as the rifle.

Excellent fun for the kids as well on a hunt or trip.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: NitroX]
      #351919 - 01/04/21 02:08 AM

John if I were in your place, I wouldn't bother with the 10-22

They're good at burning ammunition, but they don't do anything better than a nice bolt rifle, and really they don't do it as well as a good CZ or other quality rimfire bolt rifle.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351920 - 01/04/21 02:08 AM

Quote:

I may get a Ruger 10/22 one day on my agricultural licence as in theory I can get a 12 gauge semi auto or pump, which I have AND a rimfire semi auto. Which I don't have. In theory. Will find out one day if I try. The semi autos are fairly expensive now as little demand and few available.

What I would really like is the STG-44 .22 RF semi auto Lancaster showed us on NE. They were even advertised for sale in Australia, but my guess is they would be special orders all the way from Germany and not in stock by the advertiser. Some advertiser pull that stunt, no stock, order from the maker if an order is made.

BUT somehow I think the police would NOT allow the STG-44 .22 RF as a legitimate farm agricultural rifle. Especially when they see it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: tinker]
      #351929 - 01/04/21 07:13 AM

Quote:

They're good at burning ammunition, but they don't do anything better than a nice bolt rifle, and really they don't do it as well as a good CZ or other quality rimfire bolt rifle.

Have to agree..... I’ve had many Ruger 10/22 rifles. Very reliable but not so good on the accuracy front. Spray and pray. I’m down to one now, BUT and its a big but, I’ve replaced the trigger with a Timney, replaced the stock with something that fits properly, AND replaced the barrel with a semi weight Volquartsen match grade barrel. With the new barrel, groups went from fist size to 1/2 inch or a little smaller on a good day at 50 yards. The gun cost me ~ $400 CDN to buy and the parts cost me an additional $900 CDN. For less than 1/2 the money spent, a T1 Tikka straight out of the box will outshoot it.

Hunter4752001
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/10
Loc: Australia
Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: Postman]
      #351931 - 01/04/21 09:05 AM

Back in the days before the Howard gun bans I owned both an AR7 and a Ruger 10/22. The AR7 was fun but not really useful. The 10/22 was one of my favorite rifles. True, the trigger was bad as was the barrel quality, but it did the job and was ultra reliable. More than any other .22 I've owned, the accuracy varied enormously depending on what ammo was used. It was an individual thing. Two Rugers, identical in all respects, would have totally different preferred ammo. Mine would give 3-6" groups at 50M using Win Rabbit Ammo, but cloverleaf groups using Win sub-sonics.

I believe the recently manufactured Rugers have a far better barrel quality since Ruger moved to in house barrel manufacture.

Would love to have one of the Izhmash Biathlon rifles but they have been subject to import sanctions.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: 85lc]
      #351933 - 01/04/21 10:48 AM

Quote:

The Henry "survival rifle" was developed by Eugene Stoner and initially sold by ArmaLite as their AR7 in the early 1960. I thought it was an interesting concept until I saw one. Everything fit into what looked to me to be a huge plastic buttstock, When out together, it was ugly.

Of course, it it were a question of having that gun or nothing, I would select it. but as Ripp said, a Ruger 10/22 would be much nicer.

You are right, RB - it was ArmaLite & the AR7, not Charter Arms.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: Hunter4752001]
      #351938 - 01/04/21 12:32 PM

Quote:

It was an individual thing. Two Rugers, identical in all respects, would have totally different preferred ammo. Mine would give 3-6" groups at 50M using Win Rabbit Ammo, but cloverleaf groups using Win sub-sonics.

OK, so if I ever DO decide to get one, I want to test shoot it first ... that is terrible "accuracy". Might as well use a shogun ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#351941 - 01/04/21 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It was an individual thing. Two Rugers, identical in all respects, would have totally different preferred ammo. Mine would give 3-6" groups at 50M using Win Rabbit Ammo, but cloverleaf groups using Win sub-sonics.

OK, so if I ever DO decide to get one, I want to test shoot it first ... that is terrible "accuracy". Might as well use a shogun ...

I put a fluted steel .920" Butler Creek barrel on my Ruger 10-22, replaced the stock with a Butler Creek black stock. Next, I replaced most of the trigger group with Volquartson parts and now mine will shoot sub 1/4" aggs.(5 groups of 5) at 50 meters off the bags, with select match ammo and 3/8" with most high velocity hollow points including Remington Yellow Jackets. Those & Winchester PowerPoint HP's are supreme for field rats to 100yards and a bit. Not sure which is best, but those Winchesters really make a loud "POCK" on them, even at 110 yards.

So - I guess this speaks to the potential of the action being an accurate semi-auto action. My steel lip 25 round mags worked fine, until they were declared prohibited devices - by Trudeau & I had to destroy them. I'm using 4, 10 shot mag's and that's just fine.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: DarylS]
      #351945 - 01/04/21 01:52 PM

I had one of the F.J. Feddersen bronze 10-22 receivers the other day for a bit, boring it for the cleaning rod.

Neat piece, and it seems like the perfect way to get better balance with the 10-22 style rifle.

https://fjfeddersen.com/product/10-22-bronze-nickel-alloy-receiver/

With super gooch barrel and parts, it would be a cool way to go for a 10-22

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #351946 - 01/04/21 02:22 PM

I had an AR7. It was a fun rifle but not overly accurate contrary to 007 James Bond in From Russia with Love.

I had a very early version of the Browning Semi Auto Take down. It was my fathers first rifle and still accurate to the day John Howard stole it. Prefer it to the Ruger 10/22. Also had a Rem Fieldmaster pump. I know why I sold it but that was a mistake.

Ripp
.577 member

#351953 - 02/04/21 12:43 AM

Quote:

HEY, what's so bad about burning ammunition??

Agree, I have several CZ's..use them a lot..along with a couple of Anschutz in 17 and 22 mag..tack drivers...

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: Rule303]
      #351954 - 02/04/21 12:46 AM

Quote:

I had an AR7. It was a fun rifle but not overly accurate contrary to 007 James Bond in From Russia with Love.

I had a very early version of the Browning Semi Auto Take down. It was my fathers first rifle and still accurate to the day John Howard stole it. Prefer it to the Ruger 10/22. Also had a Rem Fieldmaster pump. I know why I sold it but that was a mistake.

I have a Rem Fieldmaster and a Sportmaster.. just had it completely restored to give to my son one day..was my go to on the farm as a kid.. incredibly accurate.. and frankly the nicest feeling and shooting (to me) .22 rimfire I have ever owned..

My Grandfather had a take down Browning..also very very accurate

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Some Of The Best Rimfire's Available Today.. [Re: Postman]
      #351955 - 02/04/21 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Have to agree..... I’ve had many Ruger 10/22 rifles. Very reliable but not so good on the accuracy front. Spray and pray. I’m down to one now, BUT and its a big but, I’ve replaced the trigger with a Timney, replaced the stock with something that fits properly, AND replaced the barrel with a semi weight Volquartsen match grade barrel. With the new barrel, groups went from fist size to 1/2 inch or a little smaller on a good day at 50 yards. The gun cost me ~ $400 CDN to buy and the parts cost me an additional $900 CDN. For less than 1/2 the money spent, a T1 Tikka straight out of the box will outshoot it.

I've done similar.. my go to on the ranch is a 10/22 but in action only.. custom stock, trigger and barrel.. but now, incredibly accurate.. short and compact.. handy inside a truck, UTV or ATV.. even handy to throw in a scabbard on a horse..I bought that thing years ago originally, paid less than $200 originally US for it back in the day..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1997

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com