Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another Christoph Funk Mauser in 5.6x61 Von Hofe cal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Another Christoph Funk Mauser in 5.6x61 Von Hofe cal
      #351890 - 31/03/21 03:16 AM

Hello all,

After posting pictures and obtaining information about my Christoph Funk rifle, my friend asked that I inquire about his rifle. His is also a Christoph Funk in 5.6x61 Von Hofe caliber, but with some differences. His has a Greener safety and a horn forend tip, and forend checkering. (see pictures)

His came with 2 scopes. An old unmarked German of about 3 power, and a Kahles Helia 862 w/ a 2-dot reticle.

Again, any information would be much appreciated.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Another Christoph Funk Mauser in 5.6x61 Von Hofe cal [Re: buckstix]
      #351897 - 31/03/21 05:41 AM

This Chr. Funk made rifle was retailed by Wilhelm Robert Eblen, a Stuttgart gunshop that existed from 1895 to 1967. It was proofed by the Suhl proofhouse (“pick and sole” mark) in February 1942. Note the April 1940 changeover from the old crown/BUGN proofmarks to the then new eagle/N mark. Funk built it on a large ring Gewehr 98 action left over from the WW1, 1915 – 17, decentralized military rifle production in Suhl. The barrel was made again by Louis Kelber, Suhl (script L mark that looks more like a Z or British “pound sterling”) of R7L grade steel by Röchling’s steelworks in Völklingen, Saar. Adding a Greener type sear safety to bolt actions was a popular German custom touch as it was much easier to use with a scope mounted than the wing safety. The checkered foreend and horn tip are upgrade custom touches too. Chr. Funk made these rifles to the order of the retailer more or less.
The original scope seems to be a model “Visar” by the Emil Busch AG in Rathenow, a big optical company. It is much older than the rifle, maybe of WW1 vintage. The 3x Busch "Visar" was quite common on great war Sniper rifles. By 1942 the German optical industry was working for the war effort. So new scopes were unavailable to civilians. You find refurbished older scopes quite often on guns of that vintage. The 8x Kahles scope with 62 mm objective lens diameter and elevation + windage adjustments was added much later, in the 1970s probably.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Another Christoph Funk Mauser in 5.6x61 Von Hofe cal [Re: kuduae]
      #351898 - 31/03/21 06:28 AM

Hello kuduae,
Thanks for the reply.

I once again thank you for the detailed information. Its interesting that 2 of these interesting rifles have been recently acquired .. only miles apart, here in Wisconsin. Now only if I could locate some brass for reloading.

All the best ...

Buck

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#351900 - 31/03/21 07:02 AM

Buck, just about an old scope mounted on a new rifle in WW2: That WW1 Busch Visar scope was newer, just About 25 years old in 1942, than that 1970s Kahles scope is now in 2021.

buckstix
.400 member

#352025 - 05/04/21 10:52 AM

Hello kuduae,
Thanks for the reply.

That fact about the age of the scopes is interesting. I have emailed Zeiss with the serial number of my scope to see if they can give me a date of production. The serial number is: 398879. So far no response.

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

#353576 - 19/05/21 09:47 PM

Quote:

Buck, just about an old scope mounted on a new rifle in WW2: That WW1 Busch Visar scope was newer, just About 25 years old in 1942, than that 1970s Kahles scope is now in 2021.

Hello kuduae,
Thanks for the reply.

While helping my friend with his Chr. Funk rifle, it was found that the Kahles Helia 862 has a front bell that is too large to allow removing the scope. In this instance, the claw mounts are useless. This is something the auction house that sold it, should have disclosed. I removed the scope by disassembling the rings and I installed the other smaller second scope that came with the rifle. But that scope was too dark to use, and the eye-relief was way out of wack, and you couldn't get your head back far enough to see through the scope to shoot.

However, I was able to purchase another vintage German scope on ebay. It was listed as a WW2 Germany Wabu Waffen Bultmann Heilbronn 4x36 81 Scope with a "rare" reticle. I had to do a lot of machining to make it work. I removed the bottom rails (like I did on my rifle's scope) and modified the claw-rings to fit the diameter of this scope's tube. It now can be removed and replaced with the claw mounts as it should be. It has a truly awesome reticle - like I've never seen before.

Would you have any info on this scopes maker?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #353580 - 19/05/21 11:01 PM

Interesting and different reticle.
Very useful. Should be capable of quick shooting, and also fine accuracy using the pointed picket post.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

kuduae
.400 member

Re: Another Christoph Funk Mauser in 5.6x61 Von Hofe cal [Re: NitroX]
      #353589 - 20/05/21 12:13 AM

Waffen Bultmann, Gemmingergasse 5, D74072 Heilbronn, is a simple local gunshop. Sorry, but I do not have an email address. They certainly did not make your scope, but merely retailed it.
That ad as “a WW2 Germany Wabu Waffen Bultmann Heilbronn 4x36 81 Scope” is pure bs as the scope is obviously postwar, about 1960s. To me it looks like an early Schmidt & Bender. Founded in 1957, S&B made scopes for the trade exclusively until 1970, see https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/company/history.html Those scopes were not marked with the S&B logo, but with various trademarks or house brands of wholesalers or retailers. That special reticle is either experimental or special order. I had not yet seen such a form.

buckstix
.400 member

#353607 - 20/05/21 11:02 AM

Quote:

Interesting and different reticle.
Very useful. Should be capable of quick shooting, and also fine accuracy using the pointed picket post.

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

Waffen Bultmann, Gemmingergasse 5, D74072 Heilbronn, is a simple local gunshop. Sorry, but I do not have an email address. They certainly did not make your scope, but merely retailed it. ... That ad as “a WW2 Germany Wabu Waffen Bultmann Heilbronn 4x36 81 Scope” is pure bs as the scope is obviously postwar, about 1960s. To me it looks like an early Schmidt & Bender. Founded in 1957, S&B made scopes for the trade exclusively until 1970. Those scopes were not marked with the S&B logo, but with various trademarks or house brands of wholesalers or retailers. That special reticle is either experimental or special order. I had not yet seen such a form.

Hello kuduae,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know a lot of such items described on eBay are BS (not Buck Stix)

Here are a few more pics. Perhaps these features will help to determine the maker. I'm not sure what that orange adjustment screw does? I sure like the reticle. Its up-down movement within the field of view does not detract from aiming.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#353637 - 21/05/21 03:05 AM

That orange screw is for locking the adjustment against movement after sighting in.
I just sent an email to waffenbultmann@gmx.de . Maybe someone remembers after half a century or several generations where the company once sourced their scopes. At the time this scope was made there were dozens of small optics makers in Germany, Schmidt & Bender just one of a lot. During the 1970s most of them succumbed to the competition of cheaper made in Japan scopes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1863

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com