Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: One I Regret Selling

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
One I Regret Selling
      #3516 - 01/07/03 10:31 AM

I decided to post this in response to Igbal's question about the quality of American firearms.

This was one of my most prized rifles, it is a Cascade Arms .22 Hornet. 3 fellows bought all the patterns from Kimber when they went up the tubes in the early 90's, and so this is same mini-mauser action designed by Kimber, only much better. I bought Serial #3, yes, the third one built by Cascade, for my brother in .223 Remington, it was completely handmade by Cascade except for the barrel, which was from Hart, if my memory serves me correctly. It was stunning, and when I worked up some loads for my brother it turned in 5 shot groups consistently under 1/4 of an inch. I had bought it for a birthday gift for my brother, but he almost did not get it.

So I got in contact with Cascade and they assigned the next #3 of each model to me. So next was the rifle pictured above, the mini-mini-mauser available only in 22 Hornet derivatives. This gun was reluctantly handed over to me by the owner, since when he test shot it, it was grouping factory ammo under 3/8", and he admitted he had so much fun shooting it, that he had fired over a 100 rounds through it before he shipped it to me. It was a most exquisite rifle, and was a consistent sub - 1/4" inch shooter. It had a hand shaped and checkered Claro Walnut stock with skeleton butt-plate and pistol grip cap, inletted sling swivel bases, the action was as smooth as silk, the trigger a very crisp 2.5 pounds. I mounted a set of early Warne double lever QR bases and rings with a Burris Signature Series 6X.

The next model they were going to bring out was going to based on the .250 Savage and similar calibers. I was absolutely drooling to get my hands on it, but the first 2 models took off so well, that it was several years before they released it and by that time, my budget could not handle dropping $3000US for a rifle. Unfortunately, a collector found out that I had the other number #3's and offered me a price I could not resist, so.....

My brother still has his even though he has had offers over $5000US for it. His is very desirable, since all markings on the gun including the caliber and etc. are all hand-engraved, and it has the a different address on it than the current rifles.

So there you have one of America's finest "factory" rifles, costing in 1993 all of $2000US.

One very hard lesson, I have learned hopefully, is that no matter, how hard times are or what price you are offered, the money gained by selling a prized possession never comes close to dulling the pain of the loss.

If I could go back.....

Lynn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eldeguello
.224 member

Reged: 04/07/03
Loc: Madison County, NY & Franklin ...
Re: One I Regret Selling [Re: Miller]
      #3581 - 04/07/03 04:38 AM

You had a Cascade, and you SOLD IT?? I have only seen one such crritter. It is a Mannlicher-stocked carbine with 19" barrel made for the .250 Savage. I have never seen such a fine bolt-action rifle!! I understand the Cascade is nearly impossible to get!!??

--------------------
"If you are 21 and not a liberal, you have no heart. if you are 40 and not a conservative, you have no brain!!" W. Churchill

"The inmates are still running the asylum!!"

Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
Re: One I Regret Selling [Re: eldeguello]
      #3614 - 05/07/03 09:28 PM

Eldeguello;

Where are you from in Franklin County, PA? I am originally from the Abbottstown, on the county line between York & Adams.

Yes, I had a Cascade, and I regret every moment since I sold it. The demise of Kimber in the early 90's spawned a few take-offs including Cascade, Cooper, and another group of fellows in Montana, I believe. Butch is the first name of the fellow that owns Cascade, at least when I dealt with them, he had purchased all the patents, templates and drawings at the liquidation of Kimber. Kimber produced a nice rifle, but Cascade is in a whole different league. I cannot remember the names of the 2 fellows that were with Butch, but the three of them did everything but the checkering which Butch's wife did, so it was a very small operation, with limited ouput.

If you hang around Franklin County, cross the mountains and look up Scotty Taylor at Taylor's Trading Post just northwest of Bendersville. A visit to his shop is worth the trip alone. He has the business in the basement of his house, and has in stock several thousand firearms, and handles only the very best. Scotty at one time was the only dealer for Cascade, he bought everything they made. He bought most of Kimber's stock when they sold, had great selection of Dakota's, plus more Winchester's, Rugers and Remingtons than you can imagine.

Another great shop is Shoemaker's in Newville along Route 641?, he has huge collection, literally hundred's, of pre-64 Winchesters, Parkers, Foxes and Ithacas to browse through. I used to just go there and drool.

Another great .22 Hornet I had, was a mint pre-64 Winchester M70. It was fantastic, though a bit heavy. It shot like a house afire, but I never really connected with it, and being in such good condition I ended up selling it to a collector.

I have no idea what the price of a new Cascade is, or if they are even in business, but if you can get your hands on one, it will be the best small-bore rifle you will ever own unless you have one made by David Miller or a similar riflesmith.

Lynn

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2004

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com