Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies


*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 32117
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre
      #350384 - 15/02/21 08:38 PM

Seeing the success of the North American thread I thought I would start another and see what our European members use or like.

Now we don't have as many European members as North American but please chime in.

People from other continents are welcome as well to share your thought.

I will.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member


Reged: 05/07/09
Posts: 4228
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: NitroX]
      #350445 - 17/02/21 09:47 AM

Well I have 3 British and no other Euro calibres. The one I use the most is the 303Brit-in an American rifle, Ruger No1- then the 375H&H -in an American rifle-Rem700 and a 416 Rigby, in a European rifle, CZ550.

I use the 303 the most but have only used it on mice to pigs, the 375H&H the same the 416 Rigby on Rabbits/feral cats to Elephant.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member


Reged: 09/01/03
Posts: 2902
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: Rule303]
      #350448 - 17/02/21 10:05 AM

Funny this. Many of the most popular European cartridges have a British monica:

6.5x53R = .256 Mannlicher
6.5x54 = .256 Mannlicher-Schoenauer
7x57 = .275 Rigby
9.5 Mannlicher = .375 NE Rimless
10.75x73 = .404 Jeffery
etc etc

The stand-alones are the 8mm Mauser and the 9.3x62 (9.3x74R).

So within my limited rules, they win!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 32117
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: Marrakai]
      #350461 - 17/02/21 05:37 PM

One of our European members posted on here but has deleted the thread? Why? Pity.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grandveneur
.375 member


Reged: 21/09/08
Posts: 764
Loc: France /Germany
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: NitroX]
      #350462 - 17/02/21 07:26 PM

Quote:

One of our European members posted on here but has deleted the thread? Why? Pity.




It is due to the impossibility of building a discussion.

Ones write something and no answer for days so that ones no longer know whether there is actually interest in the topic or not. Some then have different feelings about their posting.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 32117
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: grandveneur]
      #350465 - 17/02/21 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

One of our European members posted on here but has deleted the thread? Why? Pity.




It is due to the impossibility of building a discussion.

Ones write something and no answer for days so that ones no longer know whether there is actually interest in the topic or not. Some then have different feelings about their posting.




It was a post from yesterday or last night, and two more posts today ... ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fuhrmann
.333 member


Reged: 04/01/05
Posts: 303
Loc: Switzerland
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: Marrakai]
      #350466 - 17/02/21 09:07 PM

Quote:

Funny this. Many of the most popular European cartridges have a British monica:

6.5x53R = .256 Mannlicher
6.5x54 = .256 Mannlicher-Schoenauer
7x57 = .275 Rigby
9.5 Mannlicher = .375 NE Rimless
10.75x73 = .404 Jeffery
etc etc





Well the Brits adopted some "Euro" (that is German and Austrian) cartridges early on but I do not know of any such adoptions happening after WWI.
Funny thing is that nowadays classic British double rifles are converted to calibers like 8x57IRS or 9,3x74R by rechambering and even reboring. These German cartridges are still alive while the British counterparts are obsolete.

Personally, my main rifle is a .30-06 and I like it.
If I´d have a need for something faster, I´d choose an 8x68S over any American Magnum.

Right now I am toying with my first classical break action combo in 7x57R, and I am much impressed with the cartridge and the rifle.
fuhrmann


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 32117
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: Marrakai]
      #350467 - 17/02/21 09:09 PM

No great European experience for myself. But I used a 7x64mm Mauser M03 owned by ErikD for my first Norwegian moose.

I understood from articles in Australia the 7x64 was one of the most popular choices for bolt action rifles at the time. In Germany Per the article. And the 7x65R one of the more popular break open cartridge choices.

Certainly the 7x64 killed the moose easily with good bullet placement.

I have a set of barrels for my Tikka in 12-bore and 7x65R, I have used that set of barrels yet, as the loaded ammo I order, 200 rounds, were supposed to be in stock. They weren't cheap! And then found out it was a three month order. Still waiting 12 months later. Planned to use the ammo, 100 rounds were to be enough anyway, I don't anticipate using it that much. Needed to order 200 rounds to get the order. Then oneday use the brass if when I needed to. I think if it isn't close to arriving, time to cancel the order, source some brass and dies and load my own.

I believe the .30-06 and probably the .308 are popular as well.

I used a .308 Blaser with Sville in Sweden and also his 9.3x74R double. Never even fired them!

I have used a .243 Winchester CZ for Roe deer in Northumberland in the UK. Did not shoot a roebuck. Just three "stalks" over a weekend in a forest.

I think I used a .222, .223 or some 5.6 mm for roe deer in Denmark. Missed a fox. Shot a female roe for meat for the owner.

The 8x57 is said to be one of the most popular choices still in Central Europe. It is the .30-06 of Europe. No doubt some older rifles, but still chambered by smart gunmakers selling in Central Europe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daryl_S
.600 member


Reged: 10/08/05
Posts: 22146
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: NitroX]
      #350492 - 18/02/21 04:55 AM

"The 8x57 is said to be one of the most popular choices still in Central Europe. It is the .30-06 of Europe. No doubt some older rifles, but still chambered by smart gunmakers selling in Central Europe."

Yes, I can see that as well as that class of rifle being popular. I would have expected the 7x57 to be more popular, though.
I've had a bunch of 7x57's, 8x57's, but none now. Do have a couple 6.5x55, both game-less so far. Not much of a big game hunter any more. Used to go for a moose or deer in the fall - kinda slipped by the wayside there as well as the small game/vermin shooting I did with the .224's, .22's and .17 CF's and RF's.
Still have a couple 6.5x55's and 2, 9.3x62's. I guess that counts for something. Also a .303 #3 and a #4 that I rechambered for my .315 Express - a year before I found out Ken Waters had done that earlier, called it a .312 Express.
Fired a few rounds out of it & that's about it. I thought it would make a good "truck" gun.
I've had a set of 7mm/06 dies for about 40years, thought I'd like one of those, or a 7x64 - likely use the same dies. i guess I need one of those around-tu-its.

--------------------
Daryl


"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DORLEAC
.333 member


Reged: 22/01/12
Posts: 408
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: Daryl_S]
      #350493 - 18/02/21 05:47 AM

My personal choice remains the 6.5x55 Swedish and the 7x57 with the 173 grain bullet.
I really like the Brenneke 8x64S but I prefer Otto Bock's old 9.3, the superb 9.3x62.
However, these preferences are irrelevant because we must never forget that it's not the arrow that kills, it's the archer !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member


Reged: 13/05/15
Posts: 718
Loc: France
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: DORLEAC]
      #350497 - 18/02/21 06:38 AM

My first choice is definitely for the 7x64 and its 7x65R rimed version; I own five rifles (3 bolt actions, 1 falling block and 1 kipplauf) in these calibers, which I have been using since the mid-70’s. With bullet weights ranging from 8 grams/123 grains to 11,5 grams/177 grains and flat trajectories, this caliber is perfectly suited to hunting all European game apart from brown bear by nowadays shock power / residual energy requirements; my rifles’ preferred bullets are the RWS KS in either 8 grams/123 grains or 10,5 grams/162 grains, depending on which rifle I use. Owing to its nationality I would therefore say “7x64 über allen” and the day I will make the wise decision to reduce the number of rifles I own, then I may keep the 7x64/7x65R ones only!

Second for me to the 7x64/7x65R comes the 6,5x57/6,5x57R; I own three rifles (1 bolt action, 1 kipplauf and 1 combination of the BBF-type) in these calibers, which I also use regularly for hunting. The bullet that gives best results with my bolt action rifle is the RWS KS in 8,2 grams/127 grains while both kipplauf and BBF perform best with the RWS DK in 9,1 grams/140 grains. In the same range of 6,5 mm caliber, I may in the future also use a bolt action rifle in 6,5x55 Swedish for mountain hunting, when an ongoing project will be completed.

For larger European game such as red deer I use a kipplauf in 9,3x74R. The 9,3x74R is a really pleasant caliber to shoot, with mild recoil only, which delivers really good results on larger game; I use either RWS KS bullets in 16 grams/247 grains or HIT in 16,2 grams/250 grains.

This is for what I use.

For what I also own but don’t use by lack of opportunities, I would mention the 8x57JS (the most versatile hunting caliber in Europe, as the 30-06 is in the Americas), the 8x68S (superb ballistics but too heavy rifles as all magnums are, suited for larger mountain goats/sheeps in Asia or bigger plains game in Africa, but not really required for European game), the 9,3x62 (I don’t use my bolt action rifles as I already use a kipplauf in 9,3x74R) as well as all Mannlicher Schoenauer proprietary calibers (I do love my MS rifles but I have other options when hunting).

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grandveneur
.375 member


Reged: 21/09/08
Posts: 764
Loc: France /Germany
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: Louis]
      #350519 - 18/02/21 07:54 PM

I had written that the cartridges that I use in my region are primarily intended for other types of hunting that I do worldwide. For that reason I am a little bit overgunned in my country.

Only the cartridge 8x57IS is in the norm , otherwise I use the cartridges 7mm Rem Mag , 300 H&H Magnum , 9,3x64 Brenneke and 10,75x68 Mauser. The latter for wild boar driven hunts.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.450 member


Reged: 06/05/08
Posts: 6538
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: grandveneur]
      #350614 - 20/02/21 02:22 AM

love the drilling, love the 7x57R

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
.
bringing civilisation to the barbarians


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.400 member


Reged: 07/12/11
Posts: 2328
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: lancaster]
      #350623 - 20/02/21 07:43 AM

Well I've always liked the different side of things compared to the average fella up here in NQ.

7x57 - Parker Hale M1100 lightweight
7x64 - BRNO 600
.308Norma Magnum - Parker Hale M1200........yep she's Swedish & can she go!
9.3x64 - Mark X....the article by Jack Lott won me, this round can top the .375H&H by a whisker, this is the one that really got me started into the big bores & more advanced reloading back in the 80's
Lastly
10.75x73mm or .404Jeffery - CZ550 Safari classic
I haven't the chance to try the .404 on pigs yet, but all the others do a spectacular job.
The old 7x57 did a top job on a Rusa stag a few years back, not breaking any speed or accuracy records but 140gn Noslers do a grand quartering job mushrooming perfectly; even if the bugger ran 50 yards & playing hard to find after being hit!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eagle27
.375 member


Reged: 24/01/09
Posts: 864
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: 93x64mm]
      #350626 - 20/02/21 08:49 AM

Spending a year in old West Germany back in the early eighties I did quite a bit of hunting in various areas, used a 6.5x54 MS full stocked rifle to take my first Roe Buck, a 7x65R to take a doe and yearling, a 6.5x55 for another doe and can't recall what I was using for another buck. I carried a variety of other loan rifles on other hunts but can't recall what they were other than definitely do recall being handed an 8x57 with a loaded magazine by a farmer who had his own hunting area to do an evening hunt for roe deer. Once I found and climbed into the hochsitz I was given directions to my horror when opening the bolt I saw a variety of cartridges in the magazine, all 8x57 but I don't think any two were the same. Was praying that I didn't need to shoot, would likely have not attempted even if I did get a chance. Was not buck season so only shooting does however I wasn't about to sully my record to date for one shot kills.

Went on some driven hunts and chamois hunts but let my friends do most of the shooting as I had vastly more and varied hunting experience than my German acquaintances and by then had shot a pile of our various deer species, chamois and tahr so was happy just to be in the field with gun in hand and let my friends take animals.

Everyone used a variety of cartridges in various action types and seemed to try and match different cartridges and loadings for different game. I know there were calibre and energy limits for some game but personally I would have chosen a 222 or 243 for the small Roe deer or just stayed with a 7x57 or 7mm-08 and my favourite, a 140gr Sierra Gameking for everything. Much of the hunting is from the hochsitz so the shot can be picked and most avoid taking running shots at all cost unless they wound with the first shot or are on a driven game hunt. Running shots for me were bread and butter but when in Rome do as Romans do so I had to keep my finger off the trigger more than I normally would.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93mouse
.375 member


Reged: 17/08/07
Posts: 707
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: eagle27]
      #350627 - 20/02/21 09:10 AM

In days gone by the norm here was 7x57 (R), 7x64, 8x57 and 6,5x57 (R) in the mountains...then the 30.06 began to catch up, followed with .308 and 300 win.mag...

Nowadays .308 prevails between locals, among clients 30.06 and 300 win mag with an odd 300 and 270 wsm is the norm.

I carry either 8x68S for serious work + 9,3x62 for tracking wounded game and 9,3x74R for pleasure when possible.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member


Reged: 05/07/09
Posts: 4228
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: 93x64mm]
      #350630 - 20/02/21 10:24 AM

Quote:

Well I've always liked the different side of things compared to the average fella up here in NQ.

7x57 - Parker Hale M1100 lightweight
7x64 - BRNO 600
.308Norma Magnum - Parker Hale M1200........yep she's Swedish & can she go!
9.3x64 - Mark X....the article by Jack Lott won me, this round can top the .375H&H by a whisker, this is the one that really got me started into the big bores & more advanced reloading back in the 80's
Lastly
10.75x73mm or .404Jeffery - CZ550 Safari classic
I haven't the chance to try the .404 on pigs yet, but all the others do a spectacular job.
The old 7x57 did a top job on a Rusa stag a few years back, not breaking any speed or accuracy records but 140gn Noslers do a grand quartering job mushrooming perfectly; even if the bugger ran 50 yards & playing hard to find after being hit!




Hey 9.3x64 I am not sure the 404J will be enough gun for pigs but I do know the 416 Rigby works just fine on feral cats


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member


Reged: 05/07/09
Posts: 4228
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: 93mouse]
      #350631 - 20/02/21 10:28 AM

Quote:

In days gone by the norm here was 7x57 (R), 7x64, 8x57 and 6,5x57 (R) in the mountains...then the 30.06 began to catch up, followed with .308 and 300 win.mag...

Nowadays .308 prevails between locals, among clients 30.06 and 300 win mag with an odd 300 and 270 wsm is the norm.

I carry either 8x68S for serious work + 9,3x62 for tracking wounded game and 9,3x74R for pleasure when possible.




I find it funny how things work. To me I would take a 7X64 or 8X57 for hunting anywhere over a 30-06 or 308. Yes I am a bit weird


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93mouse
.375 member


Reged: 17/08/07
Posts: 707
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: Rule303]
      #350634 - 20/02/21 11:06 AM

Once Joe Doe enters the store it is all down to prices, availability and stuff...and the .308 win is the winner...big time! Having said that - back in not that old days it was considered a marginal caliber for big bears, boars and stags, however as of latest with modern loads and bulets it is hard to ignore, truth be told it is a logical choice even over long range use - I'd take it anytime.

However - having a luxury of choice not bounded to the appropriateness but a shear luxury of free choice to feel deep European - anything of Mauser (57) or Brenneke (64) descendant gives you aplenty to choose from .. then there are many other cool calibers around that are rarely seen but are as such much more interesting to have around esp. since those are usually accompanied by a distinct owners that are very alike the calibers they carry - it is a nontheless a telling sign of a true character


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 32117
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: grandveneur]
      #350655 - 20/02/21 05:30 PM

Quote:

I had written that the cartridges that I use in my region are primarily intended for other types of hunting that I do worldwide. For that reason I am a little bit overgunned in my country.

Only the cartridge 8x57IS is in the norm , otherwise I use the cartridges 7mm Rem Mag , 300 H&H Magnum , 9,3x64 Brenneke and 10,75x68 Mauser. The latter for wild boar driven hunts.




They all sound like good choices to me.

Twenty years ago here, if you used more than a .243 many considered a person over gunned!

I like your range of choices.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 32117
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: eagle27]
      #350659 - 20/02/21 05:52 PM

Quote:

Spending a year in old West Germany back in the early eighties I did quite a bit of hunting in various areas, used a 6.5x54 MS full stocked rifle to take my first Roe Buck, a 7x65R to take a doe and yearling, a 6.5x55 for another doe and can't recall what I was using for another buck. I carried a variety of other loan rifles on other hunts but can't recall what they were other than definitely do recall being handed an 8x57 with a loaded magazine by a farmer who had his own hunting area to do an evening hunt for roe deer. Once I found and climbed into the hochsitz I was given directions to my horror when opening the bolt I saw a variety of cartridges in the magazine, all 8x57 but I don't think any two were the same. Was praying that I didn't need to shoot, would likely have not attempted even if I did get a chance. Was not buck season so only shooting does however I wasn't about to sully my record to date for one shot kills.

Went on some driven hunts and chamois hunts but let my friends do most of the shooting as I had vastly more and varied hunting experience than my German acquaintances and by then had shot a pile of our various deer species, chamois and tahr so was happy just to be in the field with gun in hand and let my friends take animals.

Everyone used a variety of cartridges in various action types and seemed to try and match different cartridges and loadings for different game. I know there were calibre and energy limits for some game but personally I would have chosen a 222 or 243 for the small Roe deer or just stayed with a 7x57 or 7mm-08 and my favourite, a 140gr Sierra Gameking for everything. Much of the hunting is from the hochsitz so the shot can be picked and most avoid taking running shots at all cost unless they wound with the first shot or are on a driven game hunt. Running shots for me were bread and butter but when in Rome do as Romans do so I had to keep my finger off the trigger more than I normally would.




Interesting post.

My experience has been my Europeans friends do a lot more running shooting that I do. The opposite to your experience. Running elg/alg/moose. And running boar and driven game hunts.

I have enjoyed joining friends and acquaintances in hochsitz. Never fired a shot from one myself though.

I would love a roebuck or two on the wall. I am envious of European friends here or over there with a "hundred" roebuck skull mounts on the wall. One or two would satisfy me. A proper shoulder mount too. When at University I used to walk past a store selling a lovely ceramic roe buck head. I would have loved to buy it. Out of my student wallet capacity at the time. Hunted them in several places but no "trophy" buck. Now I do have an invitation, starting 15 years ago or so from one good member to visit him. I should have back then. A few years ago he mentioned it again, when I wasn't heading to Europe anytime soon and two years ago again, when I was heading to Romania. Flying over to Bavaria should have been easy, but alas my wife had booked everything already and it could not be changed. I just want to visit a good guy and spend some time in his forests with him.

The 5.6x50 mm and R, makes a great roe deer choice as well. I need to find the pdf of an article I wrote on using one here in the Barossa.

Your experiences and time in Europe sounds like a very good experience.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 32117
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: 93mouse]
      #350660 - 20/02/21 05:54 PM

Quote:

In days gone by the norm here was 7x57 (R), 7x64, 8x57 and 6,5x57 (R) in the mountains...then the 30.06 began to catch up, followed with .308 and 300 win.mag...

Nowadays .308 prevails between locals, among clients 30.06 and 300 win mag with an odd 300 and 270 wsm is the norm.

I carry either 8x68S for serious work + 9,3x62 for tracking wounded game and 9,3x74R for pleasure when possible.




Quote:

Once Joe Doe enters the store it is all down to prices, availability and stuff...and the .308 win is the winner...big time! Having said that - back in not that old days it was considered a marginal caliber for big bears, boars and stags, however as of latest with modern loads and bulets it is hard to ignore, truth be told it is a logical choice even over long range use - I'd take it anytime.

However - having a luxury of choice not bounded to the appropriateness but a shear luxury of free choice to feel deep European - anything of Mauser (57) or Brenneke (64) descendant gives you aplenty to choose from .. then there are many other cool calibers around that are rarely seen but are as such much more interesting to have around esp. since those are usually accompanied by a distinct owners that are very alike the calibers they carry - it is a nontheless a telling sign of a true character





98mouse, you are a man of true character.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EDELWEISS
.333 member


Reged: 22/11/05
Posts: 439
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: NitroX]
      #350685 - 21/02/21 08:13 AM

Does 30-40 Krag count?

Im a huge fan of 9.3x74R for most 4 legged things larger than a Coyote. Ive always wanted something small and compact in 6.5x55.

I tried to find ammo and/or load data for 9x54R (9.3x54R). Id love to build a "Heavy" caliber on a Mosin Nagant; but I havent been able to find anything. I keep hearing it exists but I cant find it.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ahmed577
.300 member


Reged: 13/06/13
Posts: 228
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #350695 - 21/02/21 02:29 PM

5.6x50R. Magnificent small caliber. Own 2 rifles in this caliber a blaser single shot stutzen royal and a boss over under rifle.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.450 member


Reged: 06/05/08
Posts: 6538
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #350744 - 22/02/21 03:48 PM

Quote:

Does 30-40 Krag count?

Im a huge fan of 9.3x74R for most 4 legged things larger than a Coyote. Ive always wanted something small and compact in 6.5x55.

I tried to find ammo and/or load data for 9x54R (9.3x54R). Id love to build a "Heavy" caliber on a Mosin Nagant; but I havent been able to find anything. I keep hearing it exists but I cant find it.




have formed 9,3x53R Mosin out of common 7,62x54R brass in one step with the ch4d die set. very easy but don't forget to aneal after. sako still makes the brass and its easy to order this in europe.
there was a little thread on nitroexpress about it. loading data exist for vithavuori N 140 powder what can be easily change into similar american powder.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
.
bringing civilisation to the barbarians


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)



Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ErikD, Sville 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 578

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com

Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5


Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact


Copyright 2003 to 2011 - all rights reserved