Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Not quite a Paradox

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Not quite a Paradox
      #350014 - 04/02/21 01:26 PM

So Im still searching for an actual Paradox/Explora/Buck and Ball gun. It helps if I can find one when I have the cash to buy it; until then Ive been playing with common SxS shotguns that "print well" with a pair of laser boresighters. Yes I know its not a true paradox but its keeping me happy until the real thing comes along (think a Biakal double rifle vs a Merkel).

About a year ago I happened upon a LC Smith that came into the shop. It was pretty much a give away price sine the stock had been shortened and then returned to a longer length with mixed wood spacers. So it wasnt pretty but using two laser boresighters at the same time, the barrels "printed" 2 inches left/right at 30 yards! As far as I was concerned, that was almost too good to be true.

I began a search for the perfect ammo, then the Armageddon hit and I was forced to fall back on my supply of Federal slugs. I had considered loading full brass shells but never seemed to get around to it. The Federals ended up being just what I was hoping for, printing tight groups sometimes with holes touching at 25 yards.

The smith in our shop added a two leaf rear sight and convinced me to stick with a large bead instead of the blade front sight that I wanted. He argued that the bead was more correct. Then he filed the blade and we shot and filled some more and shot some more. We finally ended with a sight picture producing 2" high at 50 yards. I would have been happier with zero at 50 but I was starting to become worried about my ammo supply, so I figured Id compensate.

Last week I took it to southern Texas for a Wild Boar hunt. This is a yearly hunt that a group of us have been doing for the last 15 years. In the past Ive taken Bolt actions, Semis, and Single shots. This year I had planed to take a 577-450 Martini Henry; but my Zulu War uniforn wasnt finished... This was the first time any of us took a shotgun. When everyone confirmed zero at 100 yards, I shot at 50 and rang the 4" gong with both barrels. I did compensat a little to favor the L/R barrels.

During the hunt, I sat in "archery" blinds which were between 30 and 50 yards from the feeder. The rifle shooters sat in blinds that were 100-150 yards to the feeder. All of them were using optics and some were using Night Vision and Thermal. I was using eyeballs and moon light.

My first shot "spined" the pig. That was impressive but a lucky mistake as I failed to allow enough for my 2" high zero. My next pig was a 30 yards and I took extra precaution for the high zero and was rewarded with an instant kill.

I have named it "Hogsbane" and with a little theft from the Gypsy Werewolf poem, here is the origin of Hogsbane.

Even a man who is pure of heart and says his prayers every night must prove his worth when the Hogsbane shows its sight.
When the winter moon is bright, they come to me. When the stars shine at night they come to me. I am the Hogsbane, they come to me and feel my might.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #350017 - 04/02/21 02:50 PM

Sounds like a good success story.

You wouldn't be out of your mind to go ahead and have those ribs lifted and regulate those barrels for your slug load.

You might even want to jug choke those bores before you do that.

You definitely wouldn't lose any value in the gun.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: tinker]
      #350020 - 04/02/21 04:39 PM

EDELWEISS, true she might not be a paradox but hey it does all that is asked of it & brings home the bacon.
What more can you ask for!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: 93x64mm]
      #350024 - 04/02/21 06:16 PM

Nothing wrong with regulating a "double slugger" for solids and fitting rifle-sights.
I have derived enormous satisfaction from my Wm Griffiths shottie so-modified.

Some details of load development and its shooting capability here.

...and in the hunting field here.

Hope this doesn't derail the thread: merely offered as strong support for the concept!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: 93x64mm]
      #350025 - 04/02/21 06:25 PM

Sounds good. Should shoot shot well as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: NitroX]
      #350060 - 05/02/21 03:40 PM

Since this is something of a perennial subject, I dug up an old thread with plenty of useful (well, interesting at least!) guff, including my experiences with CV-joint ball bearings buried in there somewhere.

Shotgun Slugs (...again!)

Hope it is of some interest.

I should add that my hopes and expectations for the then-new RC4 shotgun slug were not realized, to say the least!
Long-winded account of my field results can be viewed here, if you've got the time to trawl through it!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: Marrakai]
      #353745 - 26/05/21 10:10 AM

I mucked around with that for a while, it got expensive, then I bought a Beretta 471 silver Hawk that was factory regulated and wish I had simply done that from the start.
It puts 4 slugs into 4" at 50m,i wish I had just gone that way to begin with, it has a blade front sight, but I wish it was a bead as it had me shooting very low with shot. I've spent a fair bit time now shooting 5 stand with it and I've finally gotten my eye in with it.
But that really was a, struggle with me as the blade keeps making you want to aim like a rifle rather then like a shotgun.

Bloody love that gun now, can't wait to take it after pigs but it's already claimed a few deer and foxes.
So it's working how I hoped it would, and it's a damn brilliant gun. 👍

I use factory slugs, home rolled slugs and round ball in it.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

Edited by 260rem (26/05/21 10:11 AM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: 260rem]
      #353747 - 26/05/21 10:40 AM

Im pretty sure Franchi makes or made an O/U "paradox" (at least a sorta paradox. As I recall one barrel (I think it was the top), was rifled or partially rifled. If I remember correctly the bottom barrel was smooth but could also shoot standard slugs.

Back then it was out of my price range, and I didnt have a great urge for such a thing. Today is different but of course I cant find one

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Not quite a Paradox [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #353818 - 28/05/21 10:40 AM

I saw one for sale a little while back, but I hate U/O guns.

Although I do like the Fabarm ELOS AL TRAQUEUR, it's a great gun that's not as expensive as other double smooth bore slug guns.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2252

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com