Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Some Searcy rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Some Searcy rifles
      #34994 - 23/07/05 11:56 PM

Here are some pics of a couple of Searcy rifles for sale:

1. Deluxe Sidelock Underlever 500 N.E. 3" -----------$19,500.00

2. PH Model 470 N.E. with custom engraving --------$12,500.00

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: 500grains]
      #34997 - 24/07/05 02:53 AM

Looks good.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #35000 - 24/07/05 03:40 AM

That .500 with the underlever...are underlever actions easy to use?

It seems as though such a lever on a break open action would be awkward in actual use as compared to the more common lever on the top tang?

Richard.

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #35004 - 24/07/05 07:24 AM

Where did you find those for sale? Thanks in advance...Armbar

Maineguide
.275 member

Reged: 09/03/05
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: rgp]
      #35005 - 24/07/05 08:23 AM

under levers are actually easier and quicker to use than top levers, especially in the larger calibers. They have a distinct mechanical advantage.

Maineguide

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: Maineguide]
      #35006 - 24/07/05 11:22 AM

Maineguide

What mechanical advantage do they have? I thought they released the barrels the same way as a top lever?

I knew the Jones style underlever has a mechanical advantage but not the underlever as shown.

I do like the looks of the underlever though.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: rgp]
      #35014 - 25/07/05 12:54 AM

rgp,

The advantage of this kind of underlever, in my opinion, is speed. You just hit the underlever with your trigger hand after firing the second shot, and the rifle is open with cases ejected as you bring it down from your shoulder. As you are reaching for your ammo belt for 2 more rounds, the guy with a top lever is just breaking his gun open. In today's DG hunting, the difference in speed would probably not be an issue 99%+ of the time, but the underlever does have an edge. The rifles are posted at the Searcy website: http://www.searcyent.com/for_sale.htm

Maineguide
.275 member

Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: mickey]
      #35019 - 25/07/05 01:51 AM

Mickey,

All things being equal, the longer the lever the more mechanical advantage, and 500 is right they are quicker to reload.

Maineguide

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #35022 - 25/07/05 03:42 AM

In reply to:

All things being equal, the longer the lever the more mechanical advantage, and 500 is right they are quicker to reload.

Maineguide

The "SNAPP ACTION"which is what the Searcy is, is intirely different from the Jones Under lever, in the way it works! The Jones turning a double lug cam which pulls the barrel set down against the barr surface, and is strong in it's lock-up but has no camming effect helping to OPEN the action. The Snapp is the same from a camming effect to help open the action, but the long strong lever give you more leverage to slide the locking plate out of the under bites. The internal parts are basiclly the same as the top lever, but with the better leverage.

The speed of loading is no better than with the top lever, unless a hot load binds the action, where the extra leverage is needed to slide the locking plate. The speed of loading depends on the person doing the loading, more than anything. Some here like to load with the trigger hand, and some load with the fore hand! For the man who loads with the trigger hand, the use of a butt-stock ammo carrier is usefull, but in large calibers tend to throw the rifle's ballance off because of the extra weight on the butt of the rifle. If the rounds are on one's belt, the butt of the rifle is in the way of your hand getting to the next two rounds, so they are pulled from the belt one at a time, takeing longer, IMO! This is usually the case with the use of a double with a SNAPP, or JONES LEVER action because the trigger hand has to be removed from the rifle to work the levers. The top lever doesn't require one to remove his hand from the wrist of the rifle, and the barrels can be loaded quite quickly by the fore hand. This is the loading process that is so often seen with the two cartridges between the fingers of the fore hand. The fore hand simply pulled up to drop the two rounds into the open chambers, in one smooth motion. If one loads this type action from the belt, at least, the rifle isn't in the way.

The rifles 500 posted are very well done rifles, and both types are good, depending on what you like, but, for the most part, the speed of loading one over the other, is a matter of practice, more than the lever type, except for the JONES version which is slower than the other two, by a long shot!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Maineguide
.275 member

Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #35046 - 25/07/05 12:44 PM

Dugaboy1,

Yeh, yeh, its what I said. The longer lever gives one a mechanical advantage. Write another four paragraphs and you will come to the same conclusions but just take longer to explain it. Christ I've had 10 scotches and I get it.

Maineguide

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #35059 - 25/07/05 09:32 PM

500grains, Maineguide, Dugaboy,

I think I'll have to see this method in person to properly visualize it...I know that I can reload my underlever Ruger #1 pretty fast but that #1 stays in one piece instead of breaking in the middle when opened.

Thank you,

Richard

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#35073 - 26/07/05 03:55 AM

In reply to:

Dugaboy1,

Write another four paragraphs and you will come to the same conclusions but just take longer to explain it.
Maineguide

Just thought we should look at your advice once more! Below you will see an example of your post!

Main Entry: sar·casmrca
PFunction: noun
pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
Date: 1550
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>

As far as I know, my post wasn't dirrected at anyone in particlar, I just used your quote to head the subject I wanted to discuss pertaining to the subject at hand. There are many young folks here who don't know one rifle from another, and the long explanations are for their benifite, not for those who already know. I'm sorry if you took my post as a put down, it wasn't meant that way, I assure you!However, in future.............

The mouse will let you select what you want to read, and to pass what you don't. I suggest you make use of that attachment on your computer.

To use your tone, (SARCASM) Scroll down, and skip my posts if they are so tedious to you,and have another 10 scotches, and get happy! MainGuide your post was just plain bad manners!

I'm outta here!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #35078 - 26/07/05 05:07 AM

In reply to:

There are many young folks here.........

Thanks Mac, made my day.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #35092 - 26/07/05 10:57 AM

Hey McDuff

Methinks you're being way too sensitive.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
      #35100 - 26/07/05 01:07 PM

I always thought there was a leverage advantage to underlevers. One fellow who makes sidelevers told me they were superior because "your trigger hand doesn't leave the wrist" - I didn't know what he was talking about, but now I see that one could develop the quick method of reloading holding cartridges in the fore hand. Still doesn't make up for the ugliness. Oh yes, it might be easier if shooting from a bench to have a top or side lever. But I love the looks and ambidextrous nature of the underlever.

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: 475Guy]
      #35101 - 26/07/05 01:17 PM

Snap action actually refers to any gun that locks up when the barrels are closed. For example a top lever gun is a snap action. The push forward lever under the trigger guard operating the Purdy bolt was sometimes used before, or as an alternate to the Scott spindle. My Rigby has, in my opinion, has the perfect push forward underlever. It withdraws the bolt and cocks the hammers when opening. The barrels just fall to the open position. Self opener anybody? Insert cartridges, pull barrels up and it locks up. I think this is the perfect system for a dangerous game rifle. Excuse any typos or grammar errors; 4 beers.

Dave

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: 475Guy]
      #35114 - 26/07/05 11:50 PM

In reply to:

Hey McDuff

Methinks you're being way too sensitive.

Perhaps, perhaps not! Anyway, makes no difference one way or the other!

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #35220 - 30/07/05 08:35 AM

I am seriously considering taking the ejectors out of my Searcy, I just can't get used to them, I am faster with extractors it seems, mostly because the action just falls open with extractors and it takes an effort to open a ejector gun, or maybe its from a lifetime of using extractor guns..what say you experts??????????

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: atkinson6]
      #35236 - 30/07/05 10:41 AM

Any extra effort needed to open an ejector gun shouldn't be noticable IMHO, certainly isn't with my Jeffery .400 (I shoot both ejector and extractor doubles).

Maybe Butch needs to work on that.....

I would have thought one would quickly get used to a new system, if using it regularly. Personally I love ejectors, wish more of my doubles had 'em.

BTW, what's this about experts! All enthusiastic students here!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Maineguide
.275 member

#35242 - 30/07/05 06:28 PM

Ray,

I've noticed a (for lack of a better word) stickiness when working the top lever of my Searcy ejector. It opens fine once you get used to it but It is not as smooth as I'd like. I could be wrong but I don't think that extractors would make a difference on my gun. I think it might be an adjustment issue. However, a double gun friend/gunsmith makes the point that he prefers extractors as they lift the cases much farther out of the chambers when the gun is opened. This allows one to manually remove the spent cases quicker and easier and almost as fast. He also makes the point that if your ejector model fails to throw the cases clear for whatever reason, they don't lift out as far on an ejector gun and are more difficult to grasp and remove manually in times of stress.

Maineguide

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #35245 - 30/07/05 09:57 PM

Ray,
I'm with Marrakai in that any extra effort to open an ejector gun compared to an extractor gun should be almost non existant.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #35257 - 31/07/05 12:23 PM

I'm no expert, but am with Ray... I prefer extractors over ejectors. I came to that conclusion from shotguns I guess. I just got tired of picking up shotgun hulls while quail hunting and have gone to extractors on my shotguns.

I guess the habit of removing them manually just migrated over to the DR.

The extra "force" being felt while opening the gun is can be the cocking of the hammers after the shot is fired, or the extra tension created by the ejectors.

As for Ray's gun needing to be "adjusted" I'd say it's just not as well "worn in" as Marrakai's 400 Jeffery.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Riodot
.224 member

Reged: 30/07/05
Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: new_guy]
      #35680 - 11/08/05 04:24 AM

That is a beautiful rifle. And that is one of the nicest and most stylish gun racks I have ever seen. I would like to see a few more photoes from above to see how it fits the rifles.

Thanks

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: Riodot]
      #35683 - 11/08/05 06:13 AM

Based on my own experience both target (competition) and hunting
with double rifles as well as watching people, the speed of reloading
a double is directly proportional to how much someone has practised.

A good friend of mine is very fast loading his Extractor double solely
from practice. I also find that I can load an extractor gun nearly as fast
as an Ejector gun.

Other factors that come into play are where your ammo is located
, what round it is, whether the gun has a hidden third bite or a big
lump of metal between the barrels.

Just my HO.

500 Nitro

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Some Searcy rifles [Re: 500Nitro]
      #35707 - 11/08/05 01:11 PM

Mainguide
Try some Tetra Gun Grease on the "bites" of your double and see if the top lever opens easier.
Let us know.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6481

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com