Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Bushbuck Fever"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"Bushbuck Fever"
      #5588 - 11/12/03 06:49 PM

"Bushbuck Fever"

(apologies to Leif Wold on the African-Hunter forum for borrowing his thread's title but it was such a good title I could not resist)

I was lucky on my last safari to take a couple of bushbuck, one a Limpopo and the other a Chobe bushbuck.

The first hunt was in South Africa near Thabazimbi and near the Crocodile River. Another river fed into the Crocodile and along this was a large irrigated cereal farm with very large circular crops of wheat and other cereals irrigated by large spray booms which slowly worked their way around the crops from an anchored central point. The banks of the river were thick with scrub and game. Hunting in the scrub would be very difficult and probably unproductive.

The bushbuck hunting here was unusual and involved using a hide and waiting for the bushbuck to come out in the afternoon. This was quite a pleasant way to hunt and gave the opportunity to watch numerous guinea fowl, bamboon and some warthogs that ventured into the crop to feed. The edges of the crop were mown down butt only a few metres in as if by a lawnmower which was evidence of the bushbuck. A nice combination. Good revenues from cereal farming, and with the bushbuck only very minimally damaging the crop excellent hunting.

Note the wheat crop carefully cropped by the bushbuck along the edges

We had driven past the hide position so as to not alert any watchful animals to our intended position and parked the vehicle in the bush near a pumping station. Carrying some chairs, a camoflage net, a drinks box we setup the hide and Shorty the tracker returned to the vehicle. Dantri, my friend who is also a PH, Jan, the PH who managed this concession and I entered the hide.

After sitting quietly and patiently for some 40 minutes the bushbuck started to appear and over the next 3 hours at least a couple of dozen of bushbuck could be sighted some up to 800 metres away on the other side of the crop. At this point I regretted only bringing along a .375 H&H with 300 gr Woodleigh RNs (for buffalo) as I assumed all my shooting would be done in thicker bush and at closer ranges. Now I wished for a flat shooting rifle. If a really big one walked out several hundred metres out I would not have an opportunity as stalking was out of the question.

.375 H&H with 300 gr RN country? I think not!

The bushbuck were principally females and immature males. The larger males do not get old on this property by being incautious. Several males were spotted with lesser horns until a mature buck entered the field only about 80 metres away. His dark coat indicated an older animal but he was judged to be only around 13". As we had many days, we would wait for a larger one and see what else ventured out this evening.

Hearing some sounds in the scrub, perhaps another bushbuck or an approaching warthog, all the bushbuck nearby spooked. They had remained very alert and watchful, eating a mouthful and scanning regularly. Given a half-hour some returned but the larger buck remained hidden.

Darkness intervened and we discussed the mature bushbuck. Jan who had seen more bushbuck in the direction in ground hidden from us said the mature male was closer to 14 or 15 inches so it was defintely a shooter for me if he showed on subsequent nights. So far he was completely aware of our presence so his reappearance should not be a problem with a bit of luck of Dianna. Jan is a very experienced bushbuck hunter and also a keen man after leopard. The surrounding area being a leopard hotspot with some of the hills not hunted for many years and producing fine leopard which spill out into the neighbouring properties. A small herd of donkeys purchased by bait by him was being rapidly depleted. Jan had accompanied us for the first evening to introduce us to the owner and show us the property and that done we hunted from now on alone.

Jan's view of the target area. Note the thickets which separated the river from the fields. Bushbuck would lie up in these thickets during the day, venturing to feast in the fields at night

The next afternoon after hunting other plains game including chasing a very nice impala we returned and built our hide in the same place. The large irrigation booms in the meantime had passed our hide and were some distance further along the fields. This did not help our approach with the vehicle almost getting bogged but luck held out and we got through without making too much racket.

This is part of one of the large spray booms. I estimated each span to be around 50 metres long. This spray boom had eight of these making the radius of the field 400 metres deep and 800 metres across.

The flat ground of the crops was tricky in estimating distances. Depressions in the ground looked flat but often contained dead ground. What looked like a hundred metres could be over 200 metres. We tested this the previous evening. When the mature bushbuck had left the field it looked to be maybe 120 metres away. In fact the odometer on the 4WD showed it to be more like 190 metres.

Sitting there again was a pleasant experience. The sounds, odours and sights of an African afternoon. It was curious to note the behaviour of the guinea fowl in particular, and how they KNEW we were there. Large flocks would gather flying from the surrounding bushland onto the track which surrounded the crops. Gathering there they would walk purposely along the headland but metres from our hide, even though we remained strictly motionless would jump up and fly over us and land several metres to the other side. GREAT, they were telling everything else we were there too. The baboon were extremely cautious as would flee at the merest sound or sight of a human or vehicle. Not without reason as they were hated for the damage they did to the crops. Large steel traps were placed around the fencelines but after a baboon or two were captured their effectiveness diminished severely.

The buck coming out were slower that second evening but eventually they began to appear. Perhaps 30 minutes before dark, the mature boy arrived again, somewhat further out. I readied for the shot using my camera monopod and the camo net hide as a rest. However I was getting a lot of verticle movement up and down and had to try to pick the shot with the reticle. Fired! and the buck was down. But NO! He was up again and into the bush. The shot looked OK and the "whack" which sounded back to us was positive.

We approached the area and Shorty also appeared. By the way "Shorty" was the tallest of us all. Blood in the field and blood on the grass on the fenceline. But no bushbuck on the ground inside the bush as was expected.

Crossing through the fence Shorty began to track the spoor which led deeper into the bush and into some very thick scrub. The bushbuck barked so we knew the direction of his location.

We circled around the scrub looking for an entrance and found a tunnel running through on the other side. It was about 3 feet high and may 30 metres long. Making sure the .375 was loaded but on safe and pointed to the side of Dnatri, I followed him in. Dantri had drawn his 9mm CZ pistol. as the bushbuck was very close and rifles could not be used in the tunnel the pistol might have to be used. Shorty's eyes were very wide and white around the edges so he was more than nervous.

Crawling through the tunnel and entering under the canopy without incident we scanned the dark bush for any sign of the bushbuck. The bushbuck barked again to our left. Shorty took up the lead again with Dantri readying his CZ .243 and me my .375. While bushbuck are antelope they do have a reputation for agressiveness when wounded. Their short lyre shaped horns in your intestines would not be a pleasant experience so preparedness is a better option. Shorty found the tracks again. The bushbuck had passed in front of us and moved to our right, West through the strip of scrub. Here under the leafy canopy which thinned out a bit we could see better but was quite dark. Nightfall was also fast approaching. If we didn't come onto it soon we would need to exit and have Jan bring his dogs over to help recover the wounded animal.

Tracking again and suddenly, another bark, and the bushbuck was sighted moving away some 70 metres away through the tree trunks. We lost sight of him but then, there he was beside a tree trunk, stamping, snorting and shuffling away and now facing away from us.

Raising the .375 I quickly sent a 300 gr pill away to end the issue. The bullet striking the bushbuck in the rear and penetrating about a metre into the chest. It was down and out.

The first bullet was in line with just behind the shoulder but slightly above the spine. It had damaged the vertebrae but not snapped the spinal cord so while the animal was severely limited in movement it was not down and out. Bad shooting by me was the only answer I had.

Moving the fine animal into as lit as position as possible some photographs were taken with the flash pretty well necessary.

NitroX & BigFive - the end of a successful hunt through team effort

Into the car and some welcome cold drinks for all and off we were back to our main base happy with the result. Stopping off at the homestead to speak to the owner, Dantri admired the owner's pretty bare-foot and bare-legged blonde daughter when she answered the door (I of course am above these things ). Not bad and with a fantastic hunting property to boot. We also took time off from this to admire a splendid mounted bushbuck on the wall. It was a fine specimen and I knew one day I would return here to look for a true monster.

The follow-up was exciting. My future hunt would include cape buffalo. Would I do better when it came to shoot something much more serious? How exciting would following up a buffalo be in the shot went so far astray? Time would tell.

Dantri and Shorty - architects of a successful Limpopo Bushbuck hunt

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: NitroX]
      #5596 - 11/12/03 08:51 PM

Great story, photos, and an equally nice Bushbuck! They can sure be fun to hunt.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #5597 - 11/12/03 08:58 PM

NitroX,thanx for this story it really was one of my most memorable hunts that I have been on with a friend.
The river ajoining the Crocodile river along wich banks we followed up the Bushbuck was the Pienaars River.A lot smaller than the Crocodile river but always flowing water and thick bush on the banks wich makes it a bushbuck heaven.
It would'nt have been such a good hunt without such a good hunter.
Glad you confirmed that the land owners daughter was good looking...........pity I lost her number.....

Thaks mate

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #5600 - 12/12/03 01:58 AM

Great story, I've yet to get a bushbuck!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #5625 - 12/12/03 09:38 PM

Nice story and nice bushbuck dude. This "african roedeer" took me 3 years to get in Tanzania.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: 470Nitro]
      #5629 - 13/12/03 07:01 AM

Yeah mate top story and i liked the caption re the 375 in the open country too.....certainly applicable

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

mudbug
.275 member

Reged: 08/12/03
Loc: U.S.A/Wyo.,Ak.&La./H.K.&P.R.C.
      #5636 - 13/12/03 12:43 PM

Story and photos like that makes your blood come up to a boil. Tell me a little about your .375 and how it's set up.
Thanks.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: mudbug]
      #5641 - 13/12/03 04:18 PM

Mudbug

My .375 H&H Mag is a Whitworth rifle with a Mark X Mauser action opened up to fit a .375 length cartridge. It holds 3 round sin the magazine and the barrel is only 22 or 23 inches long. Express rear sights with a couple of folding leaves and a standing V leaf. Front sight has a gold dot.

The mounts used for this safari were fixed mounts and a 1 1/2-6x Leupold vari III (?) scope with a thin post-cross hair reticle. I had A LOT of trouble with the set-up before this safari, which I can now go into.

When I first purchased the rifle from crooked John Saunders of Melbourne I purchased the rifle in the hope of converting it a take-down in 300 H&H and 375 H&H. It was second hand and looked OK. Getting it home several weeks later with the bureacratic BS of purchasing a rifle interstate, I ordered a 1 1/2-6 x Leupold with custom post-crosshair reticle whch I like. The importer gave me a lot of trouble before he would take the order but finally relented. I purchased Warne QD mounts for the rifle as well.

After a week or two Saunders telephoned me and mentioned they did not recommend a takedown in a calibre such a 375 H&H. Unusual as he thought it was a doable idea when selling me the rifle. But I would learn the true reason in the future.

Finally all there. Bugger!, the compact version of the scope won't fit onto a Mauser action with QD mounts. Leupold no longer makes the compact version for this reason. A trip to the gunshop found a set of fixed mounts that fitted OK with the bases allowing the compact scope to be used.

Shooting the rifle. Set the scope into the centred position and started to sight-in with some factory ammo. Could not get the scope reticle to sight-in. Always to far to the left. Luckily the new bases had some windage screws so used the bases to centre the line of impact.

Worked up some reloads using 220 gr Taipans and various Woodleigh bullets - 300 gr RNSP and FMJ included. The rifle proved very accurate.

Ended up borrowing the scope from the .375 for a .308 Browning Lever action and used the .375 with the open sights for several years.

After a few years ordered a new Leupold 1 1/2-6x scope but this time with an extended tube. Tried to sight it in using the Warne QD mounts. No luck. Still hitting to the left and no windage in the warne mounts. For the first time I noticed properly the barrel was not in proper alignment with the action. DAMN !

So used the fixed mounts again. Still could not get it sighted in and now the groups were wandering all over the target.

OK - the Warne mounts have no windage to correct the barrel misalignment. No use. Use the fixed mounts.

The Extended tube Leupold is fucked. The reticle is moving under the recoil, believe it or not.

So a full circle back to the original compact model and fixed mounts. And that is what I used. Except I had burnt off most of my hand-loaded ammo made up for the safari so ended up reloading a new batch the night (and morning) before the flight to Jo'burg. In doing so I did not re-size new brass and the necks under recoil in the magazine were not tight enough for the RNSPs. I had older Woodleighs with no cannelure. The FMJs had a cannelure so I lightly crimped them and they stayed tight in the magazine. The RNSP's proved to be a problem with some rounds later on. New Woodleigh RNSPs all have cannelures.

Always use well tried and tested equipment. Yeah right, in your dreams!

Back home. What to do with this nice looking POS rifle?

Did not really want to sell it on to an unsuspecting buyer, so took it over and left it with De Vries - Kudu Services - a gunsmith in Melbourne. I am not so stupid. He too did not see the barrel misalignment until it was pointed out and when measured it was obvious. Whitworth had cut the barrel threads at an angle.

OK recut the barrel threads. No go. The stock had been made up for the angled barrel! New stock required as well.

Mmmmm. This is getting very expensive. Should I just start off with a new rifle?

A great solution. Bob De Vries made up custom bases for the Warne mounts. So now I have the scope mostly in alignment with the barrel axis. The open sights are fine and aligned on the barrel. It is still crooked but it works.

Currently it wears a spare 4x Leupold in Warne mounts and performed very well in the Big Bore Boar Hunt this year. Still need to get the extended tube Leupold "fixed" though.

The loads used in Africa were Woodleigh RNSP and FMJs in 300 gr at about 2450 fps. Slower than necessary but that load worked out well when I tested the loads. They would do the job so I never worked up new loads. Amazing accuracy with groups around 1/3 of an inch with 3 shots.

A long story on the saga of the rifle I now call "Stormbringer", it being a double edged sword and throughly evil.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #5643 - 13/12/03 05:06 PM

Ha! I thought that stuff only happened to me. You needed Redfield Jrs. instead of the one piece mount. I had a 1.5x5 vari x lll fall apart in a rifle scabbard after only 2 days last year.

I know two people in Aus that have 375/300 takedowns on Mauser actions. What is the problem with the Whitworth?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: mickey]
      #5644 - 13/12/03 07:30 PM

Problems with the Whitworth?

Barrel thread cut at an angle, and stock made to match.

Reasons why it couldn't be made into a takedown?

'Honest' John Saunders obviously knew about it when he sold the rifle.

Can it be done still. Only if the .300 barrel has its thread cut at an angle as well.

Unless you have any other ideas ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #5645 - 14/12/03 12:12 AM

Now I know why you urged me to be cautious when I was looking for a used Whitworth .375 earlier this year. Fortunately, mine turned out OK. I guess you don't do much business with "honest John" any more.

mudbug
.275 member

Reged: 08/12/03
Loc: U.S.A/Wyo.,Ak.&La./H.K.&P.R.C.
      #5652 - 14/12/03 10:08 AM

Thanks, Nitrox. Laborious is too small a word for that process. A a.k.a. for that rifle might be "Lucifer". Mr. Saunders sounds like a real piece of work.

I had a similar problem with a Leupold some few years back. After sending it to them for repair, they informed me the cost would be 80$ (U.S.) + postage and insurance. That was a bunch in 1980. I pitched a total bitch with them and told them to keep their piece of $&it. About 2 weeks later it showed up at my door, post paid. I only mention this cause you've about endured enough with this episode. Leupold should cover that.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: mudbug]
      #270512 - 15/09/15 12:07 PM

This is a great old post.

Viti80
.224 member

Reged: 26/08/15
Loc: Brisbane Australia
Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: Cazadero]
      #270589 - 16/09/15 08:45 PM

Yes a good story indeed, sounds like a hell of a follow up!

My partner just took a nice Bushbuck last month on our SA trip, it was the last animal taken between us. We had been looking for one the whole time. We had seen a few immature bucks and females and put an unsuccessful stalk in on a good buck, but she ended up taking her buck from a hide. It turned out to be an exciting hunt none the less, we spent a fair time making a blind, only to have to move it and start again as the wind changed. The wind played havoc with the hunt the whole morning, we had seen a fair bit of game, and were just about to call it quits, when a very nervous female bushbuck wandered in with a nice buck following closely behind. Not sure who was more nervous, but she wasted no time and as the first clear shot presented, at about 20m, she took the shot. The buck ran and took a big tumble. The 180gr Woodleigh from her Kimber 308, certainly did the job.

They certainly are cool little animals, reminded me a lot of deer hunting.

8X57
.300 member

Reged: 09/06/10
Loc: UK & Sultanate of Oman
Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: Viti80]
      #271451 - 07/10/15 05:45 AM

I am late to the thread Nitrox but no matter. A thouroughly enjoyable account.

I love a report that makes me feel I am there as well.

Have you been back yet?

Ade

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Bushbuck Fever" [Re: 8X57]
      #349802 - 28/01/21 03:25 PM

I am slowly getting bushbuck fever again.

Tags: Bushbuck, Limpopo, "Bushbuck Fever", BigFive

I wonder how Dantri is going? Our second ever member, after me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (28/01/21 03:27 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5761

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com