Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fall 2005

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Fall 2005
      #34971 - 23/07/05 07:26 AM

Well, the fall big game hunting seasons are rapidly approaching. For Alaska, some GMU's are open for Sitka Blacktail Deer hunting on August 1st, others opening about a week later.

Goat and Sheep season starts in most areas on August 10th.

Moose and Caribou follow shortly afterward (some caribou opens earlier). Bear season, at least Brown Bear and Grizzly open around the first of September in some areas, earlier in other areas. Black bear will open in mid-August in units that actually give them a respite.

Barring some unfortunate circumstance, I'm hoping to be in the sheep mountains on the 11th or 12th of August for a 2 week stay, or less if successful and temps are high.

How's things shaping up in the rest of the country?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
Re: Fall 2005 [Re: DPhillips]
      #34983 - 23/07/05 02:26 PM

DPhillips,

I'll be flying into the Brook's on Aug.1st for 6-7 weeks.......then to the Chugach where I drew a sheep tag in Oct.....I know, I know...........it's a tough life, but someone has to pick up the slack........please, please don't throw me in that briar patch Bre'r Fox........good luck to you & be safe this season.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Fall 2005 [Re: ovis]
      #35012 - 25/07/05 12:09 AM

You lucky dogs! HUnting sheep is still just a dream for me. But I WILL make it some day. No luck on drawing in Colorado yet. And until my daughter (now 13 years old) has her College fund fully stocked my Alaska Dall sheep hunt will remain a dream. I just can't part with that kind of $$$ and justifyit.............as much as it would make ME happy LOL

Joe,

We still have to do that black bear hunt some day. ........It is still on my mind

And good luck in the Brooks!

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Fall 2005 [Re: DPhillips]
      #35016 - 25/07/05 01:05 AM

DPhilips

I was not successful in any of the draws that I applied for, so it will be regular open season hunting for me this year. I had planned for a sheep and elk hunt in Sept after the show I'm working on wraps, but another show popped up and I'll roll onto that one. The good news is I'll still be able to go for the elk hunt (with a moose tag in my pocket just in case). Other than that it will be the odd weekend looking for a big mulie.

Good luck on the sheep hunt.

Joe

Have fun and take lots of pictures. What was the biggest ram last year?

Adam

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #35085 - 26/07/05 09:29 AM

ovis,
I don't mean to be mean, but... may the bird of paradise fly up your nose for getting a Chugach permit instead of me!

I'm just hoping there isn't anyone else hunting my little suspected place of sheep paradise in an open area. We'll see in a few weeks. Oh yeah, I hope the sheep are there!

ovis
.300 member

Re: Fall 2005 [Re: AdamTayler]
      #35093 - 26/07/05 11:37 AM

AdamTayler,

The biggest ram last year was 39" & change w/just under 14" bases.......the only picture I have is the client w/the trophy and I don't post those as I respect the clients privacy. However, the photo is of the previous years largest which was bigger by an inch in length and a half inch in bases. Other than that very similar....same drainage. If I've previously displayed this one......chalk it up to old age winning out......memory is going.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/ovis/joey016.jpg

During the season a max of six rams are taken out of the area...usually less...the boss believes in preserving the future.

DPhillips,

I knew someone was talking about me the way my nose was itching..........are these Birds of Paradise good eating? The next ten weks may be interesting.

Guys, please don't think I'm trying to come across as some kind of sheep guru...I'm not...I'm just really lucky to be able to live up here..I'm getting old, I have lots of broken parts, worn tires, and my fluids are low(I've got good gear).......real sheep hunters giggle behind my back.....but God knows I love it and if I have to crawl to do it, there's no quit here. God put bears on earth for sheephunter wannabes like me.

Joe

--------------------

Edited by ovis (26/07/05 12:06 PM)

ovis
.300 member

Re: Fall 2005 [Re: IronBuck]
      #35094 - 26/07/05 11:56 AM

IronBuck,

It's been a long time since you talked to me about that bear........so long, I don't believe you really want to do it.

Thanks for the pics of the log house you're doing...........that's nice........when it's finished, sell that rascal and move up here.......Pennsylvania will become a pleasant memory.

Thanks for the kind words for the upcoming season.

Joe

--------------------

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
      #35185 - 29/07/05 06:31 AM

Joe

Moving to Alaska sounds great to me........but I do not know how much my daughter would like it LOL. She just turned 14 & would probably go in to culture shock LOL

We'll have to talk seriously about a bear hunt. What time of year is best for Blackies in Alaska? I just need to block in the schedule . I'll send you an e-mail .

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1428

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com