Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Wedgetail
.275 member

Reged: 22/07/20
Loc: Australia- NSW
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: Wedgetail]
      #344879 - 08/09/20 10:10 AM

Stock’s in da house! (Literally). Lovely bit of xxx walnut and perfectly shaped - thanks to Hatcher’s Rifle Stocks. Man do I have some work to do...

A question though - when Inletting do you do bottom metal or receiver first? If bottom metal first, do you use any form of dowels to help locate it?

--------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” - Rudyard Kipling

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #344894 - 08/09/20 11:35 PM

The stock looks good, which pattern did you choose.

Cameron is a top bloke.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #344899 - 09/09/20 06:23 AM

Quote:

The stock looks good, which pattern did you choose.

Cameron is a top bloke.

Matt.

yes he certainly is, sounds pretty busy though! He copied an original Type A stock he’s got but left a lump at the end of the fore end to form into a schnabel

--------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” - Rudyard Kipling

themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
      #344900 - 09/09/20 10:31 AM

Bottom metal first, order or make a set of guide pins for a Mauser, that will help drop the action in squarely as you go. I learned the hard way on a solid block of walnut on my first stock, by doing the action first, what a nightmare! That’s a mistake you only make once haha.

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: themauserkid]
      #344915 - 09/09/20 05:54 PM

Thanks mauserkid, I was going to make some inletting screws them read a tip about 1/4 UNC bolts so got a pair of 2” ones today. They screw in a few turns and sit nice and straight so will try them.

When inletting the bottom metal - I assume you have to do it by eye (no screws or guides)? Pre inletting should be true so don’t think this’ll be a drama

--------------------

kodiak
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/16
Loc: melbourne, victoria
      #344968 - 10/09/20 08:05 PM

hi wedgie, about the length of bolt, the straight down tear drop style bolts traditionally come down so the bottom is level with the bottom of the wood work, I’m wanting to use this style on a project and my gunsmith told me to get my bottom metal etc sorted before I get him to do the bolt, he also confirmed the bolt should reach the bottom of stock/metal, if you have a drop box of course the mag will be a bit lower again, really enjoying this thread, keep up the good work!

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: kodiak]
      #345054 - 13/09/20 05:10 AM

I'm surprised there is so much wood to remove, the guy that panograph's my stocks gets them so close all I need to do is scrape the inletting to get a perfectly snug fit. He's 10-15 thousands under size, guess I'm spoiled.

Bob

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: aromakr]
      #345070 - 13/09/20 08:40 PM

Quote:

hi wedgie, about the length of bolt, the straight down tear drop style bolts traditionally come down so the bottom is level with the bottom of the wood work, I’m wanting to use this style on a project and my gunsmith told me to get my bottom metal etc sorted before I get him to do the bolt, he also confirmed the bolt should reach the bottom of stock/metal, if you have a drop box of course the mag will be a bit lower again, really enjoying this thread, keep up the good work!

Thanks - that’s a good pointer and one that’s very hard to pick out in photos. I was thinking 59mm (that’s prechtl’s standard length) so will check that ends at the wood
Quote:

I'm surprised there is so much wood to remove, the guy that panograph's my stocks gets them so close all I need to do is scrape the inletting to get a perfectly snug fit. He's 10-15 thousands under size, guess I'm spoiled.

Bob

theres not that much to remove - bottom metal is pretty much dead on, a tiny bit needs taking off the rear “tang” at its extreme length. Receiver a little more but as they vary quite a lot I’m glad he didn’t make it too close. We discussed various aspects especially the barrel profile and decided it was much better to have wood to remove rather than gaps.

--------------------

themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
      #345079 - 14/09/20 03:26 AM

Wedgetail,
Yeah the TG should nestle in nicely since its pre inletted. Still, as you smoke the metal in, if you’re not aware of the geometry with frequent checks, you can start to get it off kilter. This is a case where it’s possibly easier to drop the metal into a solid block than a pre inletted stock since you have a better reference for square and true. This is another reason it’s good to leave plenty of meat in the channel, if you happen to get the TG off slightly, it leaves you with plenty of wood to prevent any gaps as you drop the barreled receiver in.

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: themauserkid]
      #345215 - 20/09/20 08:14 PM

Thanks Mauserkid. The shape of the TG inlet was pretty much perfect, the depth didn’t go as smoothly as I was hoping... I must say I do enjoy inletting - very therapeutic. Had to sink the bottom metal In quite a way to get it flush with the lowest point of the timber. This has meant I’m going to have to trim down the mag wall by about 1mm... otherwise it’s the fits pretty good! Excuse the grubby surface - inletting with lamp black is quite messy.

--------------------

Wedgetail
.275 member

#346689 - 10/11/20 07:12 PM

Much excitement today - barrel has finally arrived! Dimensions are all pretty good, a couple of areas need tidying up a little but it’s exactly what I was after. The hand lapped bore looks beautiful. They’re also lending me go/no go gauges so hopefully I’ll start on the threads and head spacing it shortly.

Got a Colombian carbine rear sight sleeve on the way too - it should be a good substitute for an original Type B sleeve, especially after some contouring...

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #346691 - 10/11/20 11:37 PM

Quote:

I like your thinking! Yes it’s a very good point - and not entirely unrealistic too. My main reason for wanting to build a copy is that I love the look of them, I’m never going to be trying to pass it off as an original so might as well put what I like on it anyway. Although I making it a Type B original As I can gives me bit of a tickle too...

Quote:

To be honest I am having problems deciding on quite a few details that could go either way. It took me a while to work exactly what I liked about classic sporters. I thought I had it fully nailed on a 100% Type B, then Cameron Hatcher made me aware of Plezier Mausers and that threw me a bit and gave me the side panel bug... I’ll try and do a bit of a progress report early next week I think

So what stock profile have you decided on?

I rather like the slab sided Haenel Mauser with Prince of Wales grip that MauserKid posted earlier: https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=445617

Here are the types and styles offered in the '39 Stoeger:

Stutzen:

Kurz:

Type A:

Type B:

The 1939 Stoeger does not list the 28" barrelled 'Afrika' model.

Available chamberings, 1939:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #346747 - 12/11/20 05:49 AM

I decided to go smooth sides - no slabs. I was still in two minds and not 100% sure I made the right decision but it’s done. I guess my reasoning was the actual type Bs very rarely had them, and I love their clean lines. So the stock is a Type A with enough wood left on the fore tip to form a schnabel

--------------------

Wedgetail
.275 member

#348552 - 28/12/20 07:17 PM

Taking it steady but got the threads cut and set the headspace at Go Gauge + 0.004”. Got some tidying up to do now...

Thinking about the barrel channel in the stock now. I assumed I’d free float it but starting to give pressure bedding some thought. Am I mad?

--------------------

Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
      #349415 - 19/01/21 01:13 AM

Great build and incredible workmanship ... I'm watching this closely, as I've been interested in something similar!

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: Nailcreek]
      #349454 - 19/01/21 09:34 PM

Quote:

Great build and incredible workmanship ... I'm watching this closely, as I've been interested in something similar!

thanks for the kind words NC. I wish I could give a nice big juicy update but, well I can’t! I can’t screw the barrel in yet as waiting for paperwork to come through (it can’t be a rifle until that is sorted).

I’ve almost finished cleaning the barrel up, and have started reprofiling the Colombian carbine rear sight base. I just need to close the bore a little - the barrel came in slightly under spec. I cut it length ways and closed it up then welded it with MIG. Big mistake - it bubbled and spat horribly leaving heaps of massive voids. Anyone know what steel these bases are made from? Doesn’t feel like cast... I’ll try oxy welding either with mild filler or GP (like 12p) arc rods with the coating knocked off next but wondering if anyone else has run into this?

Also done a partial stoning of the action and am really pleased how it’s turning out. The pitting is now shallow, minimal and all below the stock line

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #349456 - 19/01/21 10:41 PM

1937 was a good year Wedgie!
Looking good mate, keep up the good work
Cheers
93x64mm

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: 93x64mm]
      #356078 - 15/08/21 07:56 AM

Belated thanks 93x64!

Long time no post though. I’d like to blame the registry for only just sending the registration papers for the action so I can get a PTA to add the barrel. But in reality I’ve been flat out with life and other projects. Such as these, which have absorbed every scrap of free time…

Yes the walnut slabs are an off cut from the offending stock

But I have made a little progress. I’ve made the front sight ramp to original dimensions, and am working on the rear sight sleeve still (it’s dimensioned and profiled but full of voids around the shroud so I’m working on a thin sleeve to cover them all up. I’ve also scored a mint all steel Lyman 57SME.

Hopefully I’ll make slightly better progress now…

--------------------

Edited by Wedgetail (15/08/21 08:29 AM)

Wedgetail
.275 member

#367608 - 09/07/22 03:28 PM

Kind of embarrassed to update this as it’s been so long. Not entirely my fault - decided there were too many issues with the barrel even though it’d been 18m since I received it and I messed with it quite a bit they agreed to make me a new one which was pretty decent. Although it missed out on a few specs I’m much happier with it and pleased with how it’s going.

Also the stock has been cut down too shallow - once inletted till the bottom metal was flush in all areas, and the receiver likewise they were too close together - bottoming out on the mag wall. I had to relieve so much off the mag wall the bolt wouldn’t close on 5 rounds. I removed metal from the follower and now it just closes… the shape is good and it looks at home, the shadows are making the gaps look bigger!

Anyway, like I said it’s now in a good place. It's feeding RNs at any length now and even empties (apart from the last one)! Headspace is still go+0.004". Next up - bedding with Devcon, making and fitting barrel band and fitting front sight. Need to source another extractor as this one isn't gripping rims as tight as I'd like. Really looking forward to shaping the stock.

Edited by Wedgetail (09/07/22 04:32 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #367614 - 09/07/22 11:03 PM

Keep up the updates. Doesn't matter if your project 5akes ten years!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Wedgetail
.275 member

Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: NitroX]
      #372173 - 10/12/22 09:41 AM

Thanks Nitro, well still inching forward…

The got the front sight on. Superglued it first to check zero (with the Lyman 57 mounted and set to centre), then scribed it. Was slightly apprehensive about taking the oxy to my nicely finished parts (only other torch is a dirty old Kero pressure job). So practiced on a dummy sight and ancient 303 barrel that lives in my truck toolbox as a binder ratchet handle until was satisfied I had it sorted.

Then clamped with an old earth clamp, masked the area with 2b pencil, tinned the sight with hi-force 44, drilled a few wells to hold more solder, fluxed the barrel and sweated it on. Reckon I got a pretty good joint. Clean up was a bit slower but it’s fairly clear now after making a brass angle chisel from a gate valve shaft. Working on the rear sight now

Caliber mark came out well too

--------------------

Wedgetail
.275 member

#373147 - 15/01/23 01:20 PM

Loving this rear sight - the NOS ladder is the one genuine Oberndorf part in the build. Thank you Peter!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #373148 - 15/01/23 02:02 PM

It's coming - well done.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: DarylS]
      #373155 - 15/01/23 09:03 PM

Very nice work there Wedgy, not far to go now.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build [Re: metal]
      #373157 - 15/01/23 10:35 PM

Good things come to those that wait, but the end is in sight (pun intended)!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22416

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com