Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Making 8x56 MS brass?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
riflegunbuilder
.224 member

Reged: 21/12/20
Loc: GA
Making 8x56 MS brass?
      #348220 - 21/12/20 05:03 AM

I'm looking at a 1908 MS rifle. I'm interested in it but trying to get an idea about making brass, I understand most of the time you can resize 8x57 brass. What is involved? Shorten the brass before running the 8x57 brass in the die? Trim after resizing? Looks like CH/4D are the only ones making dies?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Making 8x56 MS brass? [Re: riflegunbuilder]
      #348221 - 21/12/20 05:30 AM

Welcome to NE!
Interesting read at this link, certainly seems a possibility that your rifle in question could have had the (very) minor alteration to the chamber as well.
A chamber cast, or, like the article below, a fired case would tell the tale. You could get a rough guess by just (gently) trying to chamber a new unprimed 8x57 case. If the bolt closes then suspect it has been altered to 8x57 and proceed accordingly. .

Be aware that the Mannlicher’s feed from the magazine can be very sensitive to cartridge overall length as well as bullet profile. You will likely be limited in your selection of bullet weight and need round noses.

With a 1mm difference in case length I would trim after sizing.
- Mike

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/mystery-mannlicher/83682

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Making 8x56 MS brass? [Re: riflegunbuilder]
      #348226 - 21/12/20 06:02 AM

Quote:

I'm looking at a 1908 MS rifle. I'm interested in it but trying to get an idea about making brass, I understand most of the time you can resize 8x57 brass. What is involved? Shorten the brass before running the 8x57 brass in the die? Trim after resizing? Looks like CH/4D are the only ones making dies?

I've never done 8X56, but I have made 9.5X57 from .35 Whelen, which I sized and then trimmed to length.

Measure an intended donor case first to ensure that base dimensions and width to shoulder aren't too narrow. It is best to draw donor cases straight first and to expand the width if necessary.

New, properly headstamped brass is available from Quality Cartridge: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021504612?pid=364914

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/83384

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Making 8x56 MS brass? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #348228 - 21/12/20 06:33 AM

Quote:

Welcome to NE!
Interesting read at this link, certainly seems a possibility that your rifle in question could have had the (very) minor alteration to the chamber as well.

What causes you to suspect that the OP's M1908 may be altered?

Surplus Mausers were often reamed to non military chamberings to comply with post WW1 European laws, but this would be a commercially made sporting arm.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Making 8x56 MS brass? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #348229 - 21/12/20 06:41 AM

in any case running the 8x57 brass in the die first, than shorten the brass

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: Making 8x56 MS brass [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #348234 - 21/12/20 07:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Welcome to NE!

What causes you to suspect that the OP's M1908 may be altered?

ooops EDITED:
My comment was based on “possibly” .... ie: “could maybe be”......and the author’s experience in the linked article.
In other words, best to check to be sure.

Here in the USA it was (seemingly more prevalent post WWII) somewhat common for rifles in less available chamberings to be altered to more available ammunition.
Would it not be prudent for the OP to check out this “possibility”?

This happened to not only surplus military rifles, but sporting arms brought back after the war.
Remember, here in the USA there are NO mandatory or government imposed rules for reproof or marking of chambering on either new or altered ams. Buyer must beware.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Making 8x56 MS brass [Re: 3DogMike]
      #348236 - 21/12/20 07:26 AM

Quote:

Hello Lancaster,
My comment was based on “possibly” .... ie: “could maybe be”......and the author’s experience in the linked article.

Here in the USA it was (seemingly more prevalent post WWII) somewhat common for rifles in less available chamberings to be altered to more available ammunition.

This happened to not only surplus military rifles, but sporting arms brought back after the war.
Remember, here in the USA there are NO mandatory or government imposed rules for reproof or marking of chambering on either new or altered ams. Buyer must beware.
- Mike

Actually, that was me.

I agree on all counts, was just wondering if you had more info on the particular MS the OP is considering.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #348237 - 21/12/20 08:05 AM

Further to Mike's post, the absence of 8x57 Mauser ammo 'after' the war, is said to be the reason for the 8mm/06 chambering. There was lots of .30/06 brass, State's Side.(apparently, a lot scattered around Europe as well, but "range" pick-up)

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

3DogMike
.400 member

#348242 - 21/12/20 08:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ooops EDITED:

- Mike

Actually, that was me.

I agree on all counts, was just wondering if you had more info on the particular MS the OP is considering.

Well crap - that will teach me to not drink too early in the day ......no really, not drinking, just not paying attention.
- Mike,

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Making 8x56 MS brass [Re: 3DogMike]
      #348259 - 21/12/20 02:15 PM

Quote:

Well crap - that will teach me to not drink too early in the day ......no really, not drinking, just not paying attention.
- Mike,

Stuff happens... .

--------------------

skl1
.224 member

Reged: 18/01/04
      #348434 - 25/12/20 02:29 AM

Winchester 8x57 brass case heads run a little small, so they'll fit after resizing in 8x56 die and trimming. Winchester was scarce for a while, so I picked up Hornady 8x57, and it was small enough to fit after resizing and trimming also. Finally, I have read that the PPU/Privi brass will fit. Remington didn't fit.

BTW, my bore was .327 vs .323. My measurement across lands was fairly tight, like .314'ish, so plenty of rifling engagement with .323 bullets. I bought a .329 mold to see if I could make the rifle more accurate and haven't cast with it yet, but 175gr .323 Sierra's shoot okay with 3031 and 4064 and RL15. 44g RL 15 is best so far with the 175g Sierras.

HTH

riflegunbuilder
.224 member

Reged: 21/12/20
Loc: GA
Re: Making 8x56 MS brass [Re: skl1]
      #348458 - 25/12/20 12:29 PM

Thanks to all for your help. Gun is on the way to me. Found a set of dies and a little bit of brass. It's headed here too. Merry Christmas to all

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Making 8x56 MS brass [Re: riflegunbuilder]
      #348489 - 26/12/20 03:33 PM

Quote:

Merry Christmas to all

Here is a discussion of 8X56 brass reforming: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?308666-Forming-8x56-Mannlicher-Schoenauer

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com