Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Ideal African Hunting Battery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: The Ideal African Hunting Battery [Re: Ahmed577]
      #348331 - 23/12/20 12:05 AM

Quote:

African battery minimum. 600, 500, 375, 303, 300, 5.6x52r, 5.6x35r, 28b, 10b shot 32” barrels and 10b 27” rifled choke barrels anything less could spell death in the VELDT.

???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: The Ideal African Hunting Battery [Re: grandveneur]
      #348334 - 23/12/20 12:18 AM

The battery is finally finished and ready for the hunt. COVID could add another year or so. Hope to collect in London spring 2021.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Ideal African Hunting Battery [Re: Ahmed577]
      #348338 - 23/12/20 12:39 AM

Quote:

African battery minimum. 600, 500, 375, 303, 300, 5.6x52r, 5.6x35r, 28b, 10b shot 32” barrels and 10b 27” rifled choke barrels anything less could spell death in the VELDT.

C, you will need more than a few gun bearers, airport porters and probably backup gun carrier Landrovers or Landcruisers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Ideal African Hunting Battery [Re: NitroX]
      #348339 - 23/12/20 01:32 AM

I started this discussion thread way back in Nov 2008 and it was re-opened at least once in 2011 and maybe other times. GREAT to see it continuing!

Quote:

OK my personal choices for a reasonable African hunting battery.

Usually a maximum of two firearms could be actually carried, perhaps with a set of shotgun barrels.

I would probably take a medium calibre plus a double rifle on a planned safari, depending on the chosen hunts/target game. Inreality probably a .400 or a .450, plus a .300 or 8mm. (I don't own all of these yet).

Plains game:

1. 6.5x68 takedown bolt action, scoped - for flat shooting at smaller medium sized game - if needed;
2. .30-06 M98, scoped or a .300 H&H Mag M98, scoped, perferably a takedown;
3. 8x68S takedown bolt action, scoped;
4. 9.3x74R, scoped double rifle;
No.s 5 and 6:
Not ideal for plains game but if it is the 'smaller' calibre along it will do.
5. .375 H&H M98, scoped;
6. .500/.416 or a .400 Double rifle, scoped.

Elephant, buffalo, rhino (fat chance of that!), plus other big game:

1. .375 H&H M98, scoped in QD mounts;
2. .500/.416 or a .400 Double rifle, scoped or unscoped with QD mounts;
3. .450 No. 2 NE Double rifle, unscoped.

For feathers:

1. .500/.416 or a .400 Double rifle, with set of shotgun barrels.
2. 9.3x74R Valmet DR with 12g U/O shottie barrels.

For a client who is not as concerned with meat damage I don't see the need to go less than a .30 calibre. Unless one wants a really flat shooting rifle such as a 6.5x68 if a lot of smaller medium sized game would be hunted.

I went back to see what I said 14 years ago. Some changes in my thinking since then. And I could still be tempted by some of the above.

First WHAT have I ACTUALLY USED?

First safari, Zimbabwe, plains game. West Nicholson area. Mixed open and jess veldt. From duiker to eland. Parker Hale M98 .30-06.

Second safari, cape buffalo and plains game in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Northern SA I forget the town name right now! Near the Crocodile River I think.

Some hunting on irrigated fields, huge distances possible for bushbuck., up to 800 metres away. Plus hunting in thick thorn jess for a variety of other plains game. Ranges always one hundred to two hundred metres at the very most. Usually shorter.

In Zimbabwe hunting in the Gwayi Valley for buffalo and plains game, then after a warvet invasion, shifted to Matetsi for similar. Variety of ranges. A Vlei between the thorn bush we approached buffalo from 800 metres awy in the open. Using black umbrellas.

Rifle used was my Whitworth M98 in .375 H&H Mag.

Third safari, Namibia and Zimbabwe.

Namibia plains game, Kalahari and a huntinh range near Windhoek. Used by Tikka 512SD double rifle in 9.3x74R, mainly for warthog. Shot maybe six or seven. Borrowed Karl Stumpfe's M98 custom rifle in 8x68S. Wanted to try it out. Hartebeest, impala, zebra, springbok, etc.

In Zimbabwe in the Omay concession South of Lake Kariba, two cow elephants. .450 No.2 NE WJ Jeffery double rifle.

BTW I am now so eager to go again, a simple plains game hunt would do me now.

So my African battery.

8x68S Mauser M03 for plains game,. longer shots. And fine for medium game in the jess. It is a takedown.

Or the Customised Parker Hale 1200 M98 in .30-06. Still does the work well.

My Tikka 512SD U/O double rifle in 9.3x74R, with a set of shotgun barrels. I would prefer a side by side, but this set exists so ... multiple other barrel choices if desired.

For larger and dangerous game, in addition to the 9.3mm above, I can choose:

Mauser M03 .404 Jeffery. Also a takedown. Have a second rifle, could take a 8x68S AND a .404 as complete rifles or one rifle with two barrels as desired.

Whitworth M98 .375 H&H Mag.

AND OF COURSE I WOULD TAKE MY

.450 No.2 Nitro Express WJ Jeffery if hunting anything like elephant or buffalo.

All these are owned, used. Some need more use. Will be a difficult choice, but of course the actual hunt may lean one one way or the other.

One is easy. The .450 No.2 NE WJ Jeffery. Anything approaching buffalo or elephant, it will go. I have used it a lot. Shot big bovines in the mid-20s in numbers with it, two elephant, a fair swag of pigs, donkeys etc and other medium game. It is "Zabardast" my bovine slayer. Adequate for close work on dangerous game. Have never used it at any longer ranges yet!

So the second would be a longer range choice for DG. When hunting elephant, I swapped my DR for the PHs Rem 700 .416 Rem with scope. It made it so much easier to shoot buffalo in a moving herd. We were still close, but kept moving out and getting in front of the feeding herd several times to see what was moving around in the herd. Meanwhile two ele bulls were arse to us sometimes only feet away. Did not shoot a cape buff bull. A longish horned youngster only in the herd. I wanted an old solid bossed boy. The cape buff and ele bulls never knew we were there. A cool hunt.

So a good second rifle choice would be my Whitworth M98 .375 H&H Mag. Which could also double as a plains game rifle.

OR more likely my .404 Jeffery Mauser M03. It is a take down so easy to travel with. I should use it more and especially use it as a medium game hunting rifle to give it a real try at that and longer range hunting.

If using the Mauser M03, I could also take along a 8x68S barrel as a par excellence, long range plains game hunting rifle. Either a barrel or a whole second rifle.

If a shotgun was needed, the Tikka U/O rifle and shotgun could go. With either shotgun barrels and/or rifle barrels. 9.3x74R, /30-06, 7x65R, and .223 barrel choices. Howabout one day a custom set of barrels in .450/400 or .375 Flanged??? Using one of the wonderfully accurate rifle barrels, doubles or combinations, it would make a fine long range plains game rifle with a scope. Single barrel OK for longer range, DR use at closer range.

Long winded again.

.450 No.2 NE WJ Jeffery - takedown - DG at close range, or follow up, ele and buffalo.

.404 Jeffery Mauser M03 - takedown - secondary DG rifle, longer range, scoped hunting.

8x68S Mauser M03 - takedown - either just a barrel and scope, or a whole second rifle - plains game close or distant.

12 bore U/O Tikka 512SD shotgun - takedown - feather shooting. Multi choices of DR - 9.3x74R or .30-06 for plains hame or DG hunting. 7x65R or .223 plus 12 bore - if desired.

Not my ideal choices but I have them all. Don't really need anything else. And can do the any job.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#348340 - 23/12/20 01:51 AM

Now for a different sort of answer.

Many of us, most of us, all of us? Are not trophy room collectors, braggies, my trophy room is better than yours. I have more paid for SCI little trophy awards than you!

We hunt for fun. For the enjoyment of hunting. For the adventure. Also to use old decrepit firearms. Old classic cartridges, even black powder.

The Double Rifle Hunter

I have been keen and are becoming keen to concentrate again on double rifles and not much else.

My .450 No.2 Jeffery as above is a given.

I have mentioned ad nauseum the desire for a "modern" (God forbid) scoped medium/lighter big bore double rifle, able to be scoped, and use on both big game and medium game. I have expressed the desire for a side by side modern built QD scoped and also express sighted rifle in say .375 H&H Flanged. Use it exclusively on next to everything where the .450 is not needed. And have such a rifle able to shoot plains game at somewhat longer ranges as needed. Even if only with one barrel.

Now I do have the Tikka U/O 9.3x74R. Perhaps IT could do this job fantastically already! It does lack a bit of style that I would like, but beggars can't be choosers, it exists already in the same.

As mentioned elsewhere, perhaps a custom set of barrels as was discussed on a thread, in .450/400, or .375 Flanged (a bit close to the 9.3), or if really pushing it, a .416 No,2 Rigby set of barrels!!! Getting away from the all round use though.

The Classic Rifle Hunter

Some might choose to go classic. An old vintage Rigbt .275 Rigby. A Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 6.5x54 M-S. A Mauser 98 .318 Westley Richards. Or a .333 Jeffery, .350 Rigby Magnum, or the .375 H&H Magnum. That last one is pretty typical. A .30-06 ?

Maybe chambered in old Rigbys, H&Hs, Jefferys, Mannlichers or Mausers. A single shot Farqhuarson perhaps or similar.

I can feel a real affinity for that sort of safari, using old vintage classic rifles in old vintage classic chamberings.

The Old Elephant Guns

Some say only wannabes, newbies and pleb use the term "elephant guns"?

It has been said on this thread and other recent threads, a good old hunt would be to use a 10-bore double rifle on hippo, cape buffalo and the like.

I COMPLETELY can understand this. I would love to try out my Westley Richards 10-bore on hippo, then cape buffalo. Maybe elephant! That might test the nerves. I think side body shots might work, but what about a brain skull shot?

Give it a try on water buffalo in the Top End first perhaps.

Black Powder

For the true old curmudgeon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #348341 - 23/12/20 02:14 AM

Quote:

Now for a different sort of answer.

Many of us, most of us, all of us? Are not trophy room collectors, braggies, my trophy room is better than yours. I have more paid for SCI little trophy awards than you!

We hunt for fun. For the enjoyment of hunting. For the adventure. Also to use old decrepit firearms. Old classic cartridges, even black powder. ..

Agree with the above.. MOST of us are just hunters.. which is great..

My thought on mount and trophy rooms has changed 100%...Personally I have 4 or 5 crates full of hides, skulls, etc sitting around that have never been mounted..and probably won't... First it's expensive to do, so for me the money I spend on mounts I will use for another hunting trip... Second, what is my family going to do with them when I am gone?? My wife is considerably younger.. and have young kids.. they might be interested in one or two for sentimental value..but not 100+..

I see all the time estate sales where the hunter has died and mounts need to be sold..

As stated, rather buy more weapons and go on more hunts.. pics at this stage are good enough..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 35897

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com