Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another military Mannlicher

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Another military Mannlicher
      #347658 - 09/12/20 06:52 AM

The only military rifle I still own:
A Portuguese Carabina Mo.1896 in 6.5x53R aka .256 Mannlicher. Dated on the left receiver wall “Steyr 1898”. Except for the royal cypher of king Carlos I on the receiver ring it is identical to the Romanian M93 carbine, but apparently much rarer.

No, I don’t intend to sporterise it. When Portugal dumped their military surplus on the German market 30 years ago, I bought it for DMark 150.-, about $ 100.- then. But I bought and kept it for sentimental reasons. When I was a boy of 12 years (that’s 60 years ago right now!), already interested in guns and hunting, I listened to a discussion of my gransfather’s hunting pals at an after-shoot party. All those old men were WW1 veterans of course. Their discussion turned to the suitability of 6.5 mm cartridges for German “big game”, that is red deer stags and boars. One of the old hunters laughed and told: “ Whe head liberated some small 6.5mm Mannlicher carbines and a supply of their special ammo from the Por tuguese. As those short carbines did not take a bayonet they were unsuitable for our fighting. But we used them for foraging until the ammo was used up. I shot a lot of really big game with such a little carbine.” Hauptmann = captain Müller hat fought all the Great War with v.Lettow-Vorbeck in East Africa. “Foraging” to him was shooting African game to feed the troops, Germans, askaris and porters. The more meat to the shot, the better. Preferred prey were hippos for their fat, buffalos and giraffes, but zebras and larger antelopes were not scorned.
So these small, 45 cm = 17.7” carbines with their 10 g = 156 gr round nose bullets certainly had their place in the history of African hunting.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Another military Mannlicher [Re: kuduae]
      #347662 - 09/12/20 09:11 AM

Nice piece of walnut, too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Another military Mannlicher [Re: DarylS]
      #347664 - 09/12/20 09:56 AM

Very nice kuduae. A nice bit of history to go along with it too. I would love to go back in time (I am a year older than you) and listen to the old hunters stories. Are clips hard to find?

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Another military Mannlicher [Re: JDL]
      #347671 - 09/12/20 12:15 PM

Quote:

Are clips hard to find?

If you happen to live in the USA, not at all. F.i. Numrich Gunparts offers them, labeled as "Dutch Hembrug Clips". Remember, Romanian, Dutch and Portuguese Mannlicher en bloc clips are all interchangeable. But Numrich and other American companies don't export any more. Even before I bought that carbine, I bought some 100 Portuguese military fmj rounds dated 1930 in clips = 20 rusty clips, some more at gunshows. I needed them for my G.Gibbs Mannlicher too.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Another military Mannlicher [Re: kuduae]
      #347691 - 09/12/20 09:04 PM

Quote:

I listened to a discussion of my gransfather’s hunting pals at an after-shoot party. All those old men were WW1 veterans of course.
Their discussion turned to the suitability of 6.5 mm cartridges for German “big game”, that is red deer stags and boars. One of the old hunters laughed and told: “ Whe head liberated some small 6.5mm Mannlicher carbines and a supply of their special ammo from the Portuguese. As those short carbines did not take a bayonet they were unsuitable for our fighting. But we used them for foraging until the ammo was used up.
I shot a lot of really big game with such a little carbine.” Hauptmann = captain Müller hat fought all the Great War with v.Lettow-Vorbeck in East Africa.
“Foraging” to him was shooting African game to feed the troops, Germans, askaris and porters. The more meat to the shot, the better. Preferred prey were hippos for their fat, buffalos and giraffes, but zebras and larger antelopes were not scorned.
So these small, 45 cm = 17.7” carbines with their 10 g = 156 gr round nose bullets certainly had their place in the history of African hunting.

I think your elderly gentlemen who you were able to listen to, were some true "adventurer". If war could be called an adventure.

I was going to ask, where Portuguese arms were captured, and it was confirmed, Mozambique.

What a delightful little story, added to the comments and pictures of your lovely rifles.

Maybe that rifle you still own, was similarly "liberated" from Portuguese arms in Mozambique?

Your sporting rifle is also admirable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1205

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com