Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pump action rifles - 7.62x39, .223 & .300BLK

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Pump action rifles - 7.62x39, .223 & .300BLK [Re: vykkagur]
      #347467 - 02/12/20 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tha AIA is a SMLE look alike but that is it. They have a Sako type bolt face from memory not the flat semi control round feed like the SMLE. The reason I never bought one.

Sounds like they went out of the way to make it a more involved job than it needed to be, all to accommodate a lower-powered round. Not sure what their rationale was in doing that, but it certainly explains the cost.

They were made in 308 and other calibres. Plunger ejector. They are heavy as the timber for the stock is Teak. Those stocks should not warp. Forget what magazines they use.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Pump action rifles - 7.62x39, .223 & .300BLK [Re: Rule303]
      #347491 - 03/12/20 07:18 PM

7.62x39 use the same magazines as the SKK and maybe the AK-47 if they are also the same.

No idea what the .308 mags are.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Pump action rifles - 7.62x39, .223 & .300BLK [Re: 9.3x57]
      #347492 - 03/12/20 07:21 PM

Quote:

I am pretty familiar w/ the Remington semiauto 742/740/7400 semi series which is very similar to the 760-series pumps. I owned a 740. The former are very popular in some states back east and the 760-series in PA with its millions of hunters where semi's could not be used for hunting. A good friend has a 760 in .30-06 and has killed a lot of game with it; elk, deer, etc.

For years I bought guns to learn the mechanism and understand the rifle and then sell it. Enjoyable and very interesting hobby of a sort. I couldn't get rid of the 740 fast enough. I've never seen a gun more obviously designed to cheapness of mechanical construction and less regard for long term function. Strong action, to be sure. I'll give them that. I did learn the gun and figured a method of accurizing it but cannot argue one word with the Remington sales representative that described them to a gunsmith/dealer friend of mine as:

"The Rifle that commences self destruction with the first pull of the trigger".

This...from a Remington sales rep!

You can find if you look hard enough raving reviews about their accuracy and such but this is frankly, mostly BS.

The gun served its purpose very well for gazillions of American hunters. My Father in law had a 742 from the early era for deer hunting in MI for many years and probably killed around 40 deer with it. Even had a custom stock made for it. His use fit well into the target market; 40 deer x about 10 shots per year of exclusively factory ammo "to check zero" for a grand total of maybe 500 bullets down the barrel for its entire career.This is the same category of use my friend w/ the 760 falls into. If your interest fits into the general concept you may find a 74/76-series gun to your liking.

1} Not shot a lot.
2} Shot at relatively short range.
3} Used with factory ammo unless you are fine with getting no more than 2 or 3 reloads from a case.

Could you get a reverse-lemon and trick yourself into a real dandy? Sure. Absolutely. I've heard of Vegas and Yugos that got good gas mileage and never needed a tuneup. But on the whole, I'd steer clear.

Well that's a bit disappointing if the Rem 7615 night not be very reliable.

Have to ask someone using one I think a fair bit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Pump action rifles - 7.62x39, .223 & .300BLK [Re: NitroX]
      #347493 - 03/12/20 07:22 PM

PS By the time I get around to buying one, they will probably be banned by then as well ....

Nothing on the horizon, but I don't trust our gun baning freedom hating govts and modern police attitudes at all.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
      #347498 - 03/12/20 07:59 PM

Quote:

They were made in 308 and other calibres. Plunger ejector. They are heavy as the timber for the stock is Teak. Those stocks should not warp. Forget what magazines they use.

I've heard that the teak was sourced in Vietnam, which immediately blocked them from the American market. I know there was a brief attempt to import them here to Canada, but it fizzled. There was a lot of talk online about horrible barrels and non-existent customer service. In the modern firearms industry, if you can't crack the North American market, you've no hope of any mass production future.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Pump action rifles - 7.62x39, .223 & .300BLK [Re: vykkagur]
      #347499 - 03/12/20 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've heard that the teak was sourced in Vietnam, which immediately blocked them from the American market. I know there was a brief attempt to import them here to Canada, but it fizzled. There was a lot of talk online about horrible barrels and non-existent customer service. In the modern firearms industry, if you can't crack the North American market, you've no hope of any mass production future.

Yes from what I have heard the Teak was from Vietnam and at end of time for them they were sourcing it from plantations in Africa. Don't know if that is true.

The original barrels, going by write ups weren't bad but not the best quality then they made a big thing of using Mini gun barrels left in Vietnam. The write ups were not faltering at all. Lucky to get 2 MOA with them. They didn't last long after this.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#347505 - 03/12/20 09:07 PM

Quote:

The write ups were not faltering at all. Lucky to get 2 MOA with them. They didn't last long after this.

I wonder if we could find some actual owners to comment on this? ie the accuracy.

But maybe a reason they are all sold saying "only fired 50 rounds"?

Another option I have seen is converted a SMLE to 7.62x39 and even using SKK mags. If reliable feeding, and a decent barrel. might even shoot better AND acquired/made cheaper???

I wonder which gunsmiths are making the SMLE /7.62x39 / SKK magazine conversions? A true tried and tested gunsmith having done it successfully before would be ideal. Add sidemount or other mount say with piccatinny rail and away one goes

--------------------
John aka NitroX

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Pump action rifles - 7.62x39, .223 & .300BLK [Re: NitroX]
      #347510 - 04/12/20 01:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The write ups were not faltering at all. Lucky to get 2 MOA with them. They didn't last long after this.

I wonder if we could find some actual owners to comment on this? ie the accuracy.

But maybe a reason they are all sold saying "only fired 50 rounds"?

Another option I have seen is converted a SMLE to 7.62x39 and even using SKK mags. If reliable feeding, and a decent barrel. might even shoot better AND acquired/made cheaper???

I wonder which gunsmiths are making the SMLE /7.62x39 / SKK magazine conversions? A true tried and tested gunsmith having done it successfully before would be ideal. Add sidemount or other mount say with piccatinny rail and away one goes

You're on to something, John. I think there could be a real market for this. I know here in Canada there are plenty of butchered Lee-Enfields (primarily No.1 Mk.III) and orphaned actions about, so no milsurps need be harmed in the making of these rifles. A properly-executed carbine in 7.62x39, using the Savage "short-cut nut" barrel system and with reliable box magazine feeding, would be handy, lightweight, and a great brush gun (universally known 'round these parts as "deer rifle"). I've handled more than a few sporterized No.1's and have always been impressed at how light they feel once they're no longer carrying the heavy military hardware, especially in comparison to other sporterized rifles.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3890

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com