Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Martini Cadet

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
Martini Cadet
      #346190 - 26/10/20 10:38 AM

This is kinda a shameless gloat but I have been wanting one of these for a long time.A friend called me and said he had picked up an old single shot rifle that I could use for a new project. This is what he found. It is in excellent condition with a near perfect bore. so it is NOT going to be remade into something else. It does have a crack at the toe of the butt but I have not removed the butt plate to see how serious it is, looks ok tho.
The butt stock is marked CMP , NSW, 14370. 8/11. Not sure what that all means. Number does match the serial number.
Now I need to learn how to make ammo for it.
Will post photos shortly.

Edited by Rolland (26/10/20 10:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Slowflyer
.224 member

Reged: 22/03/12
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: Martini Cadet [Re: Rolland]
      #346191 - 26/10/20 10:58 AM

Congratulations. It looks to be in excellent condition. The CMF (not CMP)is an abbreviation for Citizens Military Forces and NSW is the abbreviation for New South Wales, one of Australia's six states. The 8/11 is the issue date of August 1911.

These 310 Cadet rifles were issued as training rifles for the then CMF which is an ancestor to our Army Reserve.

MG

Edited by Slowflyer (26/10/20 11:54 AM)

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Martini Cadet [Re: Slowflyer]
      #346193 - 26/10/20 12:05 PM

Depending upon the actual chamber, you may be able to use a 32/20 case. If the case is long, you will have to shorten it slightly.
You can get bullets from Buffalo Arms.

--------------------
RB

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Martini Cadet [Re: 85lc]
      #346208 - 26/10/20 05:15 PM

Rolland,
yes you certainly have a lovely old cadet there!
If its the original 310 Cadet it will be a heeled projectile that you will require.
These can be finicky to get goin, but once you find that correct load it should be a rather good shooter.
Give DoubleD a PM - he's the Martini Guru, there is however some very good data on the web.

Here is a link to CBE here in Oz, Dave has these & there is lot more than just moulds (& very good ones at that) that he sells!
https://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/products/rifle-moulds/310-cadet

Midway sells brass
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021450121
Hope this helps
Would love to see you range report when you get the chance!

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Martini Cadet [Re: 93x64mm]
      #346211 - 26/10/20 11:49 PM

As the others have said, you have a nice BSA-made .310 Cadet rifle in great original condition. Yours has the better rear sight. Also have a look at the top of the chamber just in front of where the cartridge goes: You may see either one, two or three asterisk marks there.

These were stamped on the rifles when they were released for sale to the civilian market, and related to the bore and chamber condition. One asterisk means no corrosion seen, two asterisks indicate some chamber corrosion (like my rifle, which is not that bad) and three means more serious corrosion.

Your bore diameter will be 0.322" so do use the heel-based bullets. With a modest charge of red dot or similar these are accurate to 200 yards!

HB

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Martini Cadet [Re: HistoricBore]
      #346212 - 26/10/20 11:59 PM

That is Dandy .310 Cadet.

You can get everything you need to shoot it from Buffalo arms. They even had for a while the proper .310 cadet bullet mould by RCBS. I myself have the CBE .310 mould.

My current load uses Trail Boss powder.

This little cartridge as mention uses a heeled bullet. A .22 rimfire is heeled cartridge. The back of the bullet that goes in the case mouth is smaller than the driving bands the ar on the front of the bullet. Those band being the same diameter as the outside of the case.

Some bullet maker sell .32 H&R pistol bullets without gas check as .310 bullets. Cartridges loaded with these bullets often won't chamber and the advice is to shorten the case.

That will work. but the advice is bad. Find a proper .310 bullet first. Don't shorten cases unless you absolutely must.

Some of these guns have been reamed to take a 32-20 cartridge. They are usually marked as such.

If you have one of those you will find .32/20 not particularly accurate. the 32/20 uses .312 bullet. The groove diameter of the .310 Cadet is .321.

Over the years a number of people have swore there gun's bore is .316. I have asked number of people to send me a slug and they have always measured .321. This gun has tradition odd number of rifling an people do not know how to measure it.

Don't get discouraged by what I am writing, this is a fairly simple cartridge to load and shoot. But there are some things to learn.

Now that you have one of these, you need to look around for a Cadet in .297/230 Morris.

Now there is some fun.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
Re: Martini Cadet [Re: DoubleD]
      #346226 - 27/10/20 09:56 AM

HistoricBore

It has a single asterisk on the top of he barrel in front of the receiver. The bore is bright and shinny with no pits or dark spots so I am hoping it shoots well

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Martini Cadet [Re: Rolland]
      #346247 - 28/10/20 05:07 AM

Hi Rolland

In that case you have got a keeper! You need to buy your pal another beer.

Tomorrow I am off to scare some pheasant with my 1946 Webley 12 bore (oops: gauge)We have had three inches of rain here so it will be muddy.

HB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2581

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com