Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sunday Success on Fox

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Sunday Success on Fox
      #34556 - 11/07/05 12:43 AM

Haven't shot a fox for a long time. Also haven't purposely gone looking for them. I have so many rabbits around home I only need to walk out the back door to shoot a few, so haven't needed to head to the hills. Foxes come around the house but usually well after dark.

Having heard them several nights in a row and also seen two by tractor headlight last week I decided I needed to start bagging some again. Also with the amount of rabbits around and also lambing starting the foxes venture out and can be found.

Took "Mr Excited" with, my GSP "Siegfried" . He loves our hill hunting area so much it is a trip to paradise for him. Decided to use my .22 Mag CZ 452M. It has been so much my small game standard that I haven't reloaded the .222 for years. That has to change though.

Dog on leash and .22 Mag on a safari sling off we went. Driving to the nearby property as usual a half dozen rabbits made the dash across the gravel road leading to the property. Parked on the top of the hill and went "walkabout". A rabbit or two dashed in the bushes but didn't stop. Through the trees and bush, saw our flock of sheep with feral goat in tow. An injured goat somehow wandered in oneday and decided to become a sheep. Since then the nanny has been in the flock for several years. Hasn't been coverted to meat yet nor probably will.

Walked to the fenceline and scanned the hills opposite. A creek cuts through the two hills and this is a great spot for rabbits, ducks, roos and foxes.

"How about that!"

A fox is wandering along the hillside just above the creek on a stony shelf. He disturbs two Eastern Grey Kangaroos which hop off up the hillside. I lie down and threaten "Mr Excited" with evil thoughts if he makes too much noise or movement. He is good, and sits down as he sees me raise the rifle to aim. The range is long, between 150 and 200 metres. I try a rest on a fence wire it is not stable enough nor can I lie prone as the grass is in the way.

The fox has settled down so I move a few metres to the left and a steel dropper fence post and wire allows a stable aim.

The fox has lain down and looks to be readying for a nap. He lies on a stony shelf above the reeds of the creek. A good spot to rest watching for rabbits or other small animals.

I aim at his head and not allow holdover. I do not know the exact ballistics of the ammo I am using but if the bullet drops it will still kill or incapacitate the fox due to his aspect of lying to my point of aim. If wounded he will have a long way to run and should be able to be taken before cover.

I fire and the fox slumps. Amazing I hit him at the range! I hear the impact come back to me as well. I reload and stop to watch in case he recovers.

Cross the fence and down the hill, through the shallow creek and reeds and a fine fox without mange and any real damage is lying there. "Mr Excited" takes far too long to notice the fox but once he does wants to take a bite out of him.

A cricular walk back to the car looking for more foxes or rabbits. Not much out here and the neighbour has destroyed some prime rabbit warrens along their fenceline. Damn! It is still light but the scope I have on the CZ is really crap in lower light (a Tasco "World Class" 2-7x). I have a new Lynx 8x42D to try and replace it with. A decent scope would allow 20 to 30 minutes more shooting time each evening.

Later I pot a rabbit with a headshot. The meat will feed "Mr Excited" tonight as a reward for being a good boy.

Photos to follow

Just a simple rabbit and fox story. Something I get to do virtually whenever I want, and keeps the aim in practice.

What a pleasant way to spend a quiet Sunday afternoon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Sunday Success on Fox [Re: NitroX]
      #34557 - 11/07/05 01:14 AM

Good going there. Just a little jaunt here and there. If I tried that around the farms where I live, the County Swat boyz would be out in force.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
Re: Sunday Success on Fox [Re: 475Guy]
      #34681 - 14/07/05 03:18 PM

G'Day Nitro....

I've been taking the "hool-em-ups" for early morning hikes as part of my get fit campaign.
Foxes are showing a decided preference for areas that the sun strikes early on these frosty mornings.
A couple of days ago, I managed to shoot one out of a wide-spreading currajong tree. A first for me, although I've seen them bail out oof trees before. I was tempted to let him run for the dogs, but we're close to lambing and business is business.

What breed of hound is "Mr Excited"?

I have an 8 week old whippet bitch on my lap at the moment.
We are "bonding"... Well that's the idea... she's snoozing, between producing farts far larger and more potent that her size would suggest.

Peter

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

ORION
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: SSouth Australia
Re: Sunday Success on Fox [Re: cooch]
      #34686 - 14/07/05 10:00 PM

HI Nitro

Waidmannsheil to you fox

ORION

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sunday Success on Fox [Re: cooch]
      #34687 - 14/07/05 10:02 PM

My dog's name is "Siegfied" and he is a GSP. He gets very exited when the rifles and guns come out.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sunday Success on Fox [Re: NitroX]
      #35347 - 02/08/05 02:14 PM

The fox and rabbit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2027

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com