Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wrong Scope choice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
GreenjoyTJ
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Wrong Scope choice
      #34528 - 10/07/05 06:29 AM

I thought a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x36mm would be a good choice of scope to put on my new Winchester M70 Classic Safari Express (375H&H).

I bought one, installed it and hated it.

I had it on the rifle a week and could not get the eye relief I needed.
Bushnell says the eye relief is 3.3"/83mm, I belive it. But that turned out to be not enough. Worse was the eye relief was critical. I could only get a full image through the scope if my eye was just at the right spot on the stock, if I moved my eye just off the center line axis up, down, left, or right the black shadow cresent appeared to partially fill the edge of the view.
I had to really strain my neck forward to get my eye close enought to get within the eye relief's view able/usable zone.

I was able to return the scope and up graded to a Leupold brand.
I purchased a VX-III 3.5-10x40mm. Yes I gave up some field of view with this magnification power but the eye relief at the low power end is huge over 7''.
It's still only 3.5" at max power but it is not nearly a critical about eye placement across the power bandwith as the Bushnell was and its got a slightly longer front ring space so I will be able to move the scope back more.
I think the Leupold has a slightly clearer and brighter view but both scopes were more that adequate in that department.
I'd take long and non critcal eye relief over clarity of view any day but with the Leupold I get both. I guess thats why it costs all most double the Bushnells price.
Learn by burn!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Wrong Scope choice [Re: GreenjoyTJ]
      #34530 - 10/07/05 10:50 AM

I mounted the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5 X 6 scope on my Ruger 77 416 Rigby, and have plenty of eye relief. A lot of the eye relief one gets with any particular brand/model of scope has to do with the shape and fullness of ones face, as well as how one positions their face on the stock. I guess this is one time I'm glad I've got a round, pudgy face.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #34533 - 10/07/05 11:24 AM

When I got my first RSM, I had a Loopy that I mounted on it and it promptly died. Had it on an old 458WM for a while and the innards just gave way. Of course, I sent it back to Leupold's and promptly replaced it with a Burris. Tell you what, couldn't tell the diff between the two as to clarity. So far the Burris has held up from 375 H&H to 416 Rigby. May not ever scope the Lott, I just don't want it launch towards me with my luck.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

JKS
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/04
Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
      #34541 - 10/07/05 02:45 PM

Greenjoy,

Sorry the Bushnell didn't work out for you. I have a bunch of Leupolds and they are a fine, pretty forgiving scope. I have a 2.5-8 and 1.75-6 on my 375s and am satisfied. So far my scopes have been very durable, with my two 1.5-5s surviving 200+ rounds of 416 Rigby and 458 Lott. I want to try a 3.5-10 on my RSM Lott for ground squirrels next year, and we'll see how it holds up to that

John

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: Wrong Scope choice [Re: JKS]
      #34558 - 11/07/05 02:05 AM

I have Leupole scopes on all my rifles except a couple. I like the clearity of them.

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
      #34559 - 11/07/05 02:54 AM

I agree with GreenjoyTJ, I own 3 Leopolds, 1 Zeiss, 1 Aimpoint, and 1 Schmidt and Bender. I like all of the scopes but the Leopold has the largest "sweet spot (no black donought)" than all of of the others. Only the Aimpoint has greater eye relief, which is why it is on my 458 Lott. For the money I have yet to find a scope that will out do it.

DeishuAK
.224 member

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Chilkat Peninsula, Alaska
      #34567 - 11/07/05 09:44 AM

Greenjoy,
I'm gonna second and third everything that's been said previously about the Leupolds. I've got a 2-7X on my Winchester Super Express (458WM) and it performs exceptionally well. Outstanding, generous eye relief. I once owned a Bushnell 3200 3-9X on a 338WM, mainly because of the Rainguard feature (we get really wet here), and it was fine. The Leupolds, however, are clearly superior and well worth the investment.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #34571 - 11/07/05 12:06 PM

I just wanted to mention that the reason I went with the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5 X 6 on my 416 Rigby was because my favotite scope, the Leupold 1.75 X 6 wouldn't fit the Talley Q.D. rings. It was about 1/8" too short.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Wrong Scope choice [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #34590 - 12/07/05 03:36 AM

Mike,
I just put a Bushnell (old Bausch & Lomb Elite) Elite 4200 2.5-10x on my 300 H&H because I didn't want to use offset mounts. Leupold 1" scopes were just too short for the magnum length actions.

After 300 rounds or so, the scope is doing fine, though it hasn't been in the field yet. Eye relief is generous and I don't have any problems with the shadowing of the reticle. So far, I'm impressed with the scope.

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Wrong Scope choice [Re: DPhillips]
      #34695 - 15/07/05 10:06 AM

I had a chance to view the Meopta
scopes several weeks ago. They appear
well made with better than average
optics. The finish is flat;but that is
OK for a hunter. Does anyone have any
experience with this brand,especially
on a big?

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3187

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com