Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/20
Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62
      #344607 - 26/08/20 04:36 AM

Hi to all the hunting and rifle gentleman on this wonderful site! I have been following some of the posts on the site for a while and regard all the info on the site very informative. Im living and hunting in South Africa, and is interested in any old rifle! I have a few old rifles, starting with a .303 Mk1, a few Mannlichers, Brno, Sako and my latest find.... a Krieghoff bolt action build on a K98 action.I waited a year for my license... as all things take time in Africa. I would like anyone with more info on this rifle to please join the conversation, as i did not managed to find any info online about this specific rifle??
the stock is definitely fine wallnut, and the top of the barrel is antenit, with pop-up rear sights. Everything work perfectly, and the bolt is smooth. The barrel also look perfect. There is no date on the barrel or reciever. Only state: "By Heinrich Krieghoff, Suhl, Germany"
I have yet to go to the range, as i only got her a week ago, and need to work up some loads...
Your help would be really appreciated!
I will post some more photos
Regards
[image][/image]

--------------------
"the real Africa is still out there... you just need to know where to find it"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62 [Re: Vintage_Canvas]
      #344608 - 26/08/20 04:40 AM

As promised some more photos!

[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #344615 - 26/08/20 07:54 AM

That's a good thing, VC. Nice example of a sporterized 98.

Couple of features you don't see every day:
interesting method of raising the rear sight standing leaf;
push-button floor-plate release.

Hope it shoots as well as it looks!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62 [Re: Marrakai]
      #344616 - 26/08/20 08:48 AM

That is a beautiful rifle. I am guessing that the stock was replaced. I would have thought the original stock would have been a panel sided stock with a pancake cheek piece.

Vlad

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62 [Re: Vladymere]
      #344629 - 26/08/20 10:24 PM

You certainly have a rather unusual piece there VC, interesting magazine release!
In a great old calibre for your countryside, I hope you get to see how she shoots more sooner than later.
Love the engraving as well, it gives it a distinct higher quality & a bit of class.
Well done mate
Cheers
93x64mm

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #344636 - 27/08/20 02:33 AM

Thank you guys! Photos can not really give a good idea... the stock is really good quality. I have other old Mausers and Mannlichers, but their stock's is not nearly the same quality! I also havent saw this magazine release before. My guess is that it was a standard Mauser that was custom build for a client by Heinrich Krieghoff in Suhl. My question is... is Heinrich Krieghoff part of theeee Krieghoff family that is building the double's and shotguns?
Any light on the matter would really be helpfull?

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #344641 - 27/08/20 04:37 AM

Ludwig Krieghoff founded his „Sempert & Krieghoff, Suhl“ gunmaking company in 1885. His son Heinrich Krieghoff, born 1889, founded his own „Heinrich Krieghoff, Gewehrfabrik, Suhl“ in 1915 to make parts for the German WW1 war effort. In 1919 he took over his father’s hunting guns company too. Up to WW2 you may find both names, „Heinrich Krieghoff“ and „Sempert & Krieghoff“ on guns, theough from the early 1930s on „H.K.“ was used predominantly for military arms, while „S.& K.“ is found on sporting guns like drillings and the then famous "Semper" insert barrels. After the Soviets occupied Suhl, East Germany, in 1945, Heinrich and his son Heinz Ulrich Krieghoff fled to Heidenheim, south-west Germany. In 1950 they set up their new gunmaking company „H. Krieghoff K.G.“ in Ulm, still existing, serving American Rod & Gun Clubs first.
During the interwar years Krieghoff offered three models or grades of M98 action rifles:
„Heros“: A simple sporter, round barrel, bent down military bolthandle, double set trigger, walnut half stock with cheepiece and pistol grip, some checkering.
„Gibeon“: A better grade, selected dark walnut, half-oktagon barrel with integral rib, flat „butterknife“ bolthandle (then fashionable in Germany).
„Buffalo“: Krieghoff’s Big Game rifle, made for export. Strong stock of select walnut with buffalo horn foreend tip, usually round barrel, but half octagon ribbed barrel available on request, double set or single trigger, cartridge as requested, most often 10.75x68, 11.2x72 Schüler, .500 Schüler, .404, even .400 Whelen.
The barrel and the flat bolthandle of a „Modell Gibeon“ may be seen here: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showthreaded.php?Number=329611&page=0
A reprint of a c1928 Krieghoff catalog is availble from Cornell Pubs.: https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=5618

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62 [Re: kuduae]
      #344643 - 27/08/20 05:00 AM

Hi Kuduae
thank you so much for the info!! Really informative. So my rifle is from the era between the wars? as it is marked like on the photo? what model is it then? The Gibeon without the butterknife bolthandle? It also got the double trigger like on the Buffalo model. Would the year of manufacture be stamped if the reciever and stock is seperated?
my last question is how many of these rifles were made?

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #344651 - 27/08/20 08:09 PM

Yes, the action and barrel are certainly made between 1918 and 1945. The action may even be older, of WW1 military production or of commercial Mauser, Oberndorf make. Disassemble the rifle and post photos of all the proofmarks under the barrel and of all marks and numbers under the receiver ring. If proofed post-1923, a date of proof, month and year, was likely marked too. Imho the rifle left the Krieghoff shop as a model „Gibeon“. Double set triggers were standard on the Gibeon. The model Buffalo only was offered with a single trigger too. More recently the rifle was restocked to a 1970s „British“ syle. The out of fashion flat bolt handle was cut off and a modern one welded on.
As Krieghoff was a major military arms maker during WW2, The occupying American and later Soviet forces „liberated“ all production files in 1945. So any production numbers may be buried somewhere in an American or Russian archive, unavailble for research.

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62 [Re: kuduae]
      #347653 - 09/12/20 05:55 AM

Hi all
sorry for the long delay before I give an update on the performance of my 9.3x62. I managed to load some rounds and take her to the range! I am still playing with options and have only manage to get PPU roundnose bullets of 285gr at the moment. Waiting for some better bullets and also ordered 300gr bullets from Claw, a local manufacturer.
Pics show the 2 loads that i tried recently. Open for suggestions on other powder options and bullet options. I use Lapua cases that i bought new with CCI magnum primers.
I must mention that she is handling like a dream, smooth feeding and recoil is like a 30-06, because she is heavier.

--------------------

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

#347654 - 09/12/20 06:01 AM

Photos of the targets [image][/image] [image][/image]

--------------------

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

#347655 - 09/12/20 06:04 AM

Looks at the moment that the 55gr load is better than the 55.5gr
Average velocity of the 55gr load is 2250f/s
Average velocity of 55.5gr load is 2283f/s

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #347663 - 09/12/20 09:26 AM

I'd have thought N203 (Reloader 15) would give better ballistics and accuracy, but Norma 202 did very well in my first .375/06IMP, which has the same case capacity as the 9.3x62.

My loads were considerably higher than these are.
On the other hand, both of my 9.3x62's started performing with improved accuracy when I hit above 2,350fps with 286gr. bullets.(using American/Australian powders)
Nosler's book lists speeds from factory 2,320fps up to 2,420fps for the 286gr. bullets.
Here's Norma's data.
https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-gb/reloading-data/9-3x62

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Mauser in 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #347678 - 09/12/20 04:54 PM

Thank you Daryl. Im still in process of trial and error with this rifle. I have a some N203 and will try a load or 2.. My aim is also to get over 2350fps! I have started with the lowest loads for now and will work up, while checking pressures.

--------------------

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
      #347890 - 14/12/20 03:57 AM

Nice rifle.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6469

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com