Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Suppose....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Suppose....
      #344054 - 05/08/20 01:29 PM

Suppose just for fun, you were building a modern day Stopping Pistol errr Howdah, what cartridge and action would you choose?

First it has to be something you can carry in a holster while in the field. Its not a daily carry or concealed carry gun; but it has to be handy enough to not be left in camp and handy enough to take with you when youre headed to the latrine on the other side of camp in the middle of the night. Some of us know about those night time trips, and I for one know what happens when you go out at night armed with only a flashlite in wolf country.

Next it has to be capable of stopping or seriously dissuading something intending on removing pieces from you. The ability to fire multiple shots seems less important to me than a single powerful shot...but Im open.

Howdahs were 2 or 4 shots. Revolvers of the day werent powerful enough. Today we have giant revolvers in the super magnum range; but are they carry-able on a regular basis? Is a single shot like the Encore an option?

There are pistol cartridges, then there are PISTOL CARTRIDGES. Perhaps 44mag is enough or 454, or 460 or 500. Would a "577 Something" be better"? Recoil has to be a factor. The gun has to be control-able enough so the gun can be shot (possibly one handed).

Im leaning towards 500 SW or 500 Linebaugh and toying with the 577 Something (a mythical pistol cartridge of yet to be determined specs)

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Suppose.... [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #344055 - 05/08/20 02:10 PM

remeber a double barrel 20 ga smooth bore like a sawed off double gun but build original as a howda pistol. with brass cases full with blackpowder it was for shooting round balls.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Suppose.... [Re: lancaster]
      #344057 - 05/08/20 03:42 PM

577 will require special registratio/permission/taxation as a destructive device.

I'd take a 5-shot 500JRH built on a Redhawk.
500JRH has taken all of the mad bovine, including Cape Buffalo

Redhawk is far more handy than the X-Frame Smith.
Far easier to carry, much more compact.
I've shot full hit loads through a 2" Alaskan conversion, and it was surprisingly controllable.
Personally I'd go with 4"-5" of barrel.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Suppose.... [Re: tinker]
      #344067 - 06/08/20 09:19 AM

Quote:

577 will require special registratio/permission/taxation as a destructive device.

Im pretty sure there is an exemption for "sporting firearms", hence the reason that over 1/2 inch guns can still be made, like 600 NE guns etc. Either way this is more of a fantasy discussion. So for the heck of it Im picturing something like a short (maybe 1 1/2-2") 58 cal case rimmed of course. Id like to use a round ball crimped into the case.

If forced to use cartridges in the 50 or less size, then Im struggling between 500 SW, 500 Linebaugh, 454C, or perhaps something like 45-70, maybe 458 Bushmaster, or similar.

To continue the Howdah theme, Im picturing using an Encore or Contender, even though Id prefer a double; but atleast the single barrel has the benefit of being thin in holster

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #344068 - 06/08/20 09:58 AM

Here's another vote for a SxS howdah pistol.
My current "occupational" field carry is a modern .357 stainless revolver: practical, sorta, but too much piss'n'wind in reality, and it has no soul.

My fantasy howdah pistol would be a side-lever hammer (bar-action sidelock) chambered for a 16-bore x 2-inch brass case, loaded with round ball.

...and definitely rifled barrels!

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I already have a donor shotgun squirreled away for a rainy day. Do you know how rare British bar-action hammer-guns with percussion-style fences really are in Australia? Almost as rare as slow-twist wide-groove/tall-narrow-lands 16-bore tubes!

Alas, many rainy days will likely come and go before this howdah pistol project gets off the ground!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Suppose.... [Re: Marrakai]
      #344069 - 06/08/20 10:40 AM

Quote:

Here's another vote for a SxS howdah pistol.

...and definitely rifled barrels!

First I definitely understand projects and how what you want to do, often gets put on hold.

YES my vote is for a SxS too; but not having a donor, I keep thinking about a Encore or Contender single shot Howdah.

Why rifled barrels? Im picturing ranges measured in feet not yards, certainly no more than room distance. What does rifling add at that distance?

As to the cartridge issue, for something like a Stopping Gun, Im thinking mass is more important than velocity. Obviously there has to be a balance, and penetration is important; but Im leaning to fat vs fast

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #344072 - 06/08/20 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Im pretty sure there is an exemption for "sporting firearms", hence the reason that over 1/2 inch guns can still be made, like 600 NE guns etc. Either way this is more of a fantasy discussion. So for the heck of it Im picturing something like a short (maybe 1 1/2-2") 58 cal case rimmed of course. Id like to use a round ball crimped into the case.

If forced to use cartridges in the 50 or less size, then Im struggling between 500 SW, 500 Linebaugh, 454C, or perhaps something like 45-70, maybe 458 Bushmaster, or similar.

To continue the Howdah theme, Im picturing using an Encore or Contender, even though Id prefer a double; but atleast the single barrel has the benefit of being thin in holster

How would a Snider .577 cartridge go for you if beefed it up in a strong action?
Supper Snider

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Suppose.... [Re: 93x64mm]
      #344073 - 06/08/20 10:25 PM

Quote:

How would a Snider .577 cartridge go for you....

Interesting. Perhaps a slightly shortened version. For something reasonably controllable in a handgun. I dont mind recoil; but it needs to be slightly less horrible than the beast coming to eat you. I realize it needs to be powerful to do the job; and yet it still has to be something youre willing to shoot.

Picture a 577-450 trimmed to where it necks down? Im not sure what that would do to the power; but visually its about right.

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#344093 - 07/08/20 10:55 AM

Todays work discussion yielded the suggestion to chamber in 500 S&W; but shoot 500 Special (made from shortened 500SW cases). The suggestion to chamber in 500SW was so the gun would have a better re-sale potential, even with teeth marks....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1270

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com