Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Americans hunting in Aust - Question?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Americans hunting in Aust - Question?
      #34375 - 06/07/05 12:44 PM

To our American members who have hunted in Australia, a question.

It is usually a requirement when entering Australia to go on safari, maybe bringing your own rifles, or needing a temporary Aussie firearms licence to present your own firearms licence.

As mmany American states (or any?) don't require a citizen to be "licenced" to own firearms, what do you do, or use?

Do you use some other government form to show legal ownership, the 4457 (hopefully the right number)?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: Americans hunting in Aust - Question? [Re: NitroX]
      #34378 - 06/07/05 01:25 PM

NitroX,

Most states do not require an ownership permit for a firearm. Forum members from a few states probably do have to have such a permit.

Permits to carry a concealed handgun are more common even though several states do not require that either. A lot of states issue concealed carry permits for handguns and based on your post, you've just convinced me to get the Texas version of that permit before I ever go on a proper hunt in Australia (previously the only hunting I did there was to help a friend eliminate some pests on his property).

If Australia will not accept a Texas CCW then no idea what to do...

Richard.

Edit...not sure what you mean by having to have proof of ownership, nothing like that required in the USA as far as I know.

Edited by rgp (06/07/05 01:27 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Americans hunting in Aust - Question? [Re: rgp]
      #34380 - 06/07/05 02:15 PM

Woldn't you use your US Customs Export Permit which lists all of the
firearms and Serial Numbers ?

Also, the US Customs OR BATF IMPORT Permit for when you return from Safari ?

I know you can't leave or enter the US with guns without paperwork from one or other
government department.

500 Nitro

rgp
.333 member

Re: Americans hunting in Aust - Question? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #34382 - 06/07/05 02:43 PM

500 Nitro,

There is a customs form which can be used as evidence that any personal property taken out of the USA was not purchased overseas, I forgot the number of it although the number that NitroX mentioned sounds familiar, and when I was working as an corporate pilot I had a copy of it on file because I did not want customs to charge me duty on my watches on return to the USA. Technically the form is not proof that you own anything, it is just proof that you had the item in the USA and did not buy it overseas intending to sneak through customs without paying the import duty. You could fill out the form for anything you own or anything you borrowed from someone else then file it with Customs and they won't question that item on your return.

Every time I've been outside of the USA I've used a borrowed gun so I'm hoping for some definite information on this question myself because I want to go hunting in NT too and I'd like to use one of my own firearms for once.

Still as a rule in the USA, unless you're selling land or a car or an airplane, all of which require a deed or title, you don't have to prove ownership of an item. What is in your possession is generally assumed to be yours. For those people who are up to no good, the police and prosecuting attorneys have to prove it is stolen.

Richard.

rgp
.333 member

#34384 - 06/07/05 03:04 PM

Would the original purchase receipt or a copy of it qualify as evidence of ownership in Australia or other countries?

I still cannot think of anything except that which is any evidence of ownership other than the BATF's "Intent to Purchase a Firearm" form which is not given to the buyer.

Richard.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #34390 - 06/07/05 10:32 PM

I can't address what the Australian law is looking for, but I can tell you that rgp is correct as far as the U.S. is concerned.

The Customs Form 4457 is required to lawfully take your firearms in and out of the U.S.

When I went to RSA in 2002 this is the form that RSA specifically asked for and I was told to have when I went down.

The CF4457 use is just as rgp describes. It intended to identify non US goods you already possessed in the U.S.

The Gun control act of 1968 added the requirement for using the CF4457 as proof you had the firearm in the U.S. before you left.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Americans hunting in Aust - Question? [Re: DoubleD]
      #34421 - 07/07/05 02:09 PM

In reply to:

The Customs Form 4457 is required to lawfully take your firearms in and out of the U.S.

The CF4457 use is just as rgp describes. It intended to identify non US goods you already possessed in the U.S.

The Gun control act of 1968 added the requirement for using the CF4457 as proof you had the firearm in the U.S. before you left.

Yes this is the form I was thinking of. If you do not have a US Firearms Licence because your state does not issue one, then my question was

Does the Australian state authorities accept a CF4457 as proof you are "licenced" or legally able to use firearms in the US? ie for issuing a temporary firearms licence for Australia while hunting here? Or are they simply aware (ha ha) that you do not have firearms licences in the USA?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

rgp
.333 member

#34425 - 07/07/05 02:28 PM

NitroX,

I suspect they are definitely aware that they are typically asking for a paper that probably does not exist...

Even if you have a concealed carry permit for a handgun in states that issue one, that permit typically does not list a specific firearm on it and allows you to carry any handgun concealed. I think the only restriction on the Texas carry permit is either "any handgun allowed" or "revolver only".

I hope somebody knows about this mess because I'm tired of using borrowed guns when away from home....

Richard.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34427 - 07/07/05 02:46 PM

rgp

It isn't hard to get the right to use your own firearms in Australia. Big outfitters here do it 40 or 50 times a year. It is only a matter of paperwork and a little time.

My question is simply to find out what people are actually using to replace the need for a US firearms licence.

Unfortunately most outfitters are actually in the bush working at the moment. Perhaps a US client who has been there and done it is around and can tell.

My reasoning for this, is to increase my knowledge so when people ask how to do things I can pass on the info. Also I have a mate who was asking the same thing elsewhere for a US friend who is visiting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

rgp
.333 member

#34429 - 07/07/05 04:17 PM

NitroX,

Filling out the customs forms allowing you to avoid duty is a good idea for any expensive personal property you own. Sooner or later you'll find a nasty customs inspector out of your country of origin who will question your Swiss watch or your laptop computer or anything else that isn't cheap. Showing the form from your country of origin tends to stop that mess quickly and not having it can mean trouble. Most countries have a similar form, and if not an American citizen you can ask those people in your country who are pilots who fly international routes or sailors or other vagrant sorts and they may know which form is specific to your country.

I would like to add another separate but related question here for when any outfitters are able to respond...

After going through this mess with the customs forms and "proof of ownership"...

If you get the two month NT firearms permit and are going hunting for a week or two in NT does that permit allow you to possess your firearm anywhere in Australia?

Also are you allowed to possess the firearm or shoot or hunt on a friend's property in another state after the outfitted hunt is over but still within that 60 day period that the NT permit is valid?

Richard.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34510 - 09/07/05 11:07 PM

rgp

Some info for you. From this website:
http://www.anzpolicegames.asn.au/files/using_firearms_australia.doc

Note it relates to the Police Games in South Australia so that info is specific to competitors.

USING FIREARMS IN AUSTRALIA

WHAT INTERNATIONAL VISITORS NEED TO KNOW

Some international visitors to Australia use firearms during their stay here. International visitors often want firearms so they can participate in competitive sports shooting events, hunting tours or other special activities.

Are you planning to use firearms during your visit to Australia? If you are, you will need to get special permits from Australian police before you arrive. The following information will help you through the process.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?

If you want to use firearms during your stay in Australia, you need to apply for two permits.

An import permit (to allow you to bring firearms into the country); and An international visitor firearms permit (to allow you to possess, carry and use firearms during your stay)

To begin the process, apply to the police of the first Australian State or Territory you will be entering for both permits. For example, if you plan to enter Australia first through Victoria (even though you may go afterwards to other Australian States or Territories), then apply to Victoria Police for both permits.

Note: ANZPES Games competitors only

If South Australia is your first State entering, and / or coming over only for the Games and returning directly to your country of origin, apply to the Games office for the permits.

Both permits will be issued by the SA Police Firearms Branch (upon application)

Application forms for both permits can be obtained from the police of every Australian State or Territory. Contact addresses are listed.

If you are a member of a sports shooting or hunting club in your home country, you may also be able to get copies of the application forms directly from your club.

Make sure you fill out the application form completely and accurately. This will ensure your application is processed quickly by Australian police, and will help avoid delays.

WHEN DO I APPLY?

Apply well in advance of your visit, at least a month before your arrival. This will ensure that Australian police will have time to check your application and to send you your permits. This is important, as you will need to have both permits with you on the day you arrive in Australia.

Note: For ANZPES Games competitors, applications MUST be received by the Games office no later than 1 March 2005.

WHAT WILL I BE ALLOWED TO DO?

When you receive your permits, you will be allowed to import your firearm/s into Australia and to possess, carry and use your firearm/s during your stay.

Strict conditions will apply. For example:

You will only be allowed to use firearms for specific purposes (for competitive sports shooting events; for hunting, or other specified purposes);
You will need to comply with all the other requirements in the firearms laws of the State or Territory that you are visiting;
You will need to observe specific storage requirements;
You will need to carry the permit at all times and show it to Australian police upon request; and
You will need to ensure that you take your firearm/s with you out of Australia when you leave.

Note: No permit will be issued for a period longer than 12 months.

MOVING BETWEEN DIFFERENT AUSTRALIAN STATES AND TERRITORIES

If you plan to move between different Australian States and Territories during your stay and your permit is for competitive sports shooting, then you will be allowed to use your firearm/s in the different States and Territories with the one set of permits you receive from the first State or Territory you enter.

If you plan to move between different Australian States and Territories and have a permit for other reasons (for example, for hunting), then you may need to get separate permits from each State and Territory you visit. Check with the police of the relevant State and Territory regarding the requirements applying there.

WHAT TYPES OF FIREARMS ARE ALLOWED?

While most common types of firearms can be brought into Australia under a permit, international visitors should note that permits will not generally be issued for the following types of firearms:

Semi-automatic centrefire rifles;
High-capacity semi-automatic rimfire rifles or shotguns;
High-capacity pump-action shotguns; or
Fully automatic firearms.

INFORMATION AND ADVICE

For application forms, more information and advice, contact:

South Australia Firearms Branch
ANZPES Games Office - Firearms
GPO Box 1539 GPO Box 1539
ADELAIDE SA 5001 ADELAIDE SA 5001
Phone: 0011 61 8 8204 2495 Phone: 0011 61 8 8204 9523
Fax: 0011 61 8 8204 2214 Fax: 0011 61 8 8463 3722

Victorian Firearms Licensing Services
GPO Box 2807AA
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Phone: 0011 61 3 9247 3227
Fax: 0011 61 3 9247 6485

New South Wales Firearms Registry
Locked Bag 1
MURWILLUMBAH NSW 2482
Phone: 0011 61 2 6670 8522
Fax: 0011 61 2 6670 8558

A.C.T. Weapons Registry
PO Box 401
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601
Phone: 0011 61 2 6245 7405
Fax: 0011 61 2 6245 7259

Queensland Weapons Licensing Branch
GPO Box 892
BRISBANE QLD 4001
Phone: 0011 61 7 3364 4416
Fax: 0011 61 7 3364 4863

Western Australia Firearms Branch
210 Adelaide Terrace
EAST PERTH WA 6000
Phone: 0011 61 8 9223 7000
Fax: 0011 61 8 9223 7029

Northern Territory Recording Section
PO Box 39764
WINNELLIE NT 0821
Phone: 0011 61 8 8922 3541
Fax: 0011 61 8 8922 3540

Tasmania Police Firearms Registry
GPO Box 1264
HOBART TAS 7001
Phone: 0011 61 3 6230 2720
Fax: 0011 61 3 6230 2765

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34513 - 09/07/05 11:28 PM

If you are entering through Sydney and New South Wales, check out these websites for more information:

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/corporate_services/firearms/more_information/licences,_permits__and__registrations/permits

How to Apply for a Firearms Permit

Application Forms

Permit application forms are available by phoning the Firearms Registry Customer Service Line on 1300 362 562.

Supplementary Instructions are available for the following types of permits:

Ammunition - Collectors Permit
etc
Overseas Visitors Permit - Safari Tour Hunting Activities
Overseas Visitors Permit - Target Shooting Competitions
Permit to Purchase a Non-Prohibited Firearm on Leaving Australia

You can view the Supplementary Instructions for each of these permits on the 'Forms, Brochures and Permit Instructions' web page.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/corporate_services/firearms/more_information/forms,_brochures__and__permit_instructions

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/corporate_services/firearms/more_information/forms,_brochures__and__permit_instructions/permit_instructions/permit/overseas_visitors_permit_-_safari_tour_hunting_activities

Supplementary Instructions for a
OVERSEAS VISITORS SAFARI TOUR/HUNTING PERMIT
The following information and instructions should be read in conjunction with the general instructions on the Application for a Permit under the Firearms Act, 1996.

Instructions to all applicants
These instructions are specific to the type of permit for which you are applying. You must ensure all the requested information is provided at least 28 days prior to your arrival in NSW or the application will not be able to be processed.

This permit only authorises participation in activities conducted by an authorised safari tour operator or in hunting activities conducted by an approved hunting club. This permit will authorise the possession and use of category A or category B firearms only . The permit does not authorise the purchase of firearms.

The permit will be issued from one day prior to your arrival in NSW until one day after your departure from NSW. If you intend to travel further around Australia and hunt outside of NSW, please note that you will require a permit from each State / Territory in which you will be hunting.

If the permit is approved, a B709A Certificate will also be issued to allow the release of firearms and ammunition from Customs upon arrival in Australia.
Applicant Requirements
Completed permit application form P568.
Proof of Identity: Provide a copy of your passport.
Provide details of:
Your date of arrival in and departure from NSW (If you are travelling to other States / Territories but do not wish to hunt there, please advise the dates of your arrival / departure from Australia. The permit can be issued to include authority to carry the firearms in other States / Territories for transportation purposes only – HOWEVER, YOU MUST ENSURE THAT THIS IS ACCEPTABLE TO THE FIREARM AUTHORITIES IN THOSE STATES / TERRITORIES);
The name and permit number of the safari tour operator; OR
The name and approval number of the hunting club;
The location of the proposed hunting activities if known;
The period over which the hunting activities will be conducted.
Provide documentary evidence of the authority under the law of your country of residence to possess and use firearms to which a category A or B licence applies.
Provide a description of the firearm/s being used i.e.:
Make;
Model;
Serial number;
Calibre;
Firearm type.
Number or rounds and calibre of ammunition to be imported.
Provide the fee (See fee schedule.):
cheque or money order in Australian currency payable to the ‘Firearms Registry’, OR
if paying by credit card (NOTE: Bankcard, Visa, Mastercard Only) provide card number and expiry date, card holder’s name and written authorisation to debit Aus$75 to that credit card, signed by the card holder.
If you require any further information or need assistance in completing this application contact the Firearms Registry’s Customer Service Line on:

Within NSW: Tel: 1300-362-562 (cost of a local call)
From interstate: Tel: 02-6670-8590
From overseas: Tel: 61-2-6670-8523
Fax: 61-2-6670-8550
Email: firearmsregistry@police.nsw.gov.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Category A firearms: air rifles, rimfire rifles (other than self-loading); shotguns (other than pump action or self-loading); shotgun/rimfire combinations.

Category B firearms: muzzle-loading firearms (other than pistols); centre-fire rifles (other than self-loading); shotgun/centrefire rifle combinations.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34514 - 09/07/05 11:29 PM

More NSW

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/corporate_services/firearms/more_information/forms,_brochures__and__permit_instructions/permit_instructions/permit/overseas_visitors_permit_-_target_shooting_competitions2

Supplementary Instructions for a
OVERSEAS VISITORS COMPETITION PERMIT
The following information and instructions should be read in conjunction with the general instructions on the Application for a Permit under the Firearms Act, 1996.

Instructions to all applicants
The application for this permit must be made no later than 28 days prior to the applicant's arrival. These instructions are specific to the type of permit for which you are applying. You must ensure all the information requested is provided or the application will not be able to be processed.

LONGARMS: This permit applies to longarms other than self-loading or automatic rimfire or centre-fire rifles, any similar rifle adapted for military purposes, or any firearm that substantially duplicates in appearance any military style firearm.

HANDGUNS: This permit will authorise a certified international sports shooter to import a category H article, a firearm magazine for a category H article, or a firearm barrel for a category H article that meet the following specifications:

a calibre not greater than .38", unless the handgun is required for participation in specialised shooting competition, in which case the calibre must not be greater than .45",
a barrel length of at least 120mm for a semi-automatic handgun and 100mm for a revolver or a single shot handgun, unless the handgun is a highly specialised target pistol, and
a shot capacity of not more than ten rounds.

The following are exempt from barrel length and calibre restrictions:

A black powder muzzle loading pistol; OR
A cap and ball percussion fired revolver.

Applicant Requirements
Completed permit application form P568.
Proof of Identity: Provide a copy of your passport.
Provide certified documentary evidence you are either:

Authorised under the law of your country of residence to possess and use the type of firearm for which the permit is sought or;
Involved in similar competition activities in your country of residence
Provide the date of your arrival in and departure from New South Wales and your flight details into and out of Australia.
Provide the following details in relation to the shooting competition:
Invitation or letter from the competition organisers (association/club);
The location of the shooting competition;
The date/s on which practice/competition is to commence and cease
Provide the following description of the firearm/s being used and state whether you intend to bring this firearm(s) into Australia ie.

Make;
Model;
Serial number;
Calibre;
Firearm type;
Barrel length (for handguns only);
Magazine capacity (for handguns only);
Number or rounds and calibre of ammunition and magazines to be imported.
Provide details of the special need for the additional firearm if the applicant intends to import more than one firearm into Australia.
Provide the fee in Aus $

See fee schedule.
This permit will be issued from one day prior to your arrival in NSW until one day after your departure from NSW.
If the permit is approved, a B709A (longarms) or B709D (handguns) Certificate will also be issued to allow the release of firearms and ammunition from Customs upon arrival in Australia. PLEASE NOTE: THE FIREARMS REGISTRY IS NOT PERMITTED TO ISSUE A B709A CUSTOMS DOCUMENT FOR SEMI-AUTO FIREARMS. CONTACT: THE ATTORNEY GENERAL DEPARTMENT ON PHONE NO. 02 62506730

If you require any further information or need assistance in completing this application contact the Firearms Registry's Customer Service Line:

Within NSW: Tel: 1300-362-562 (cost of a local call)

From interstate: Tel: 02-6670-8590

From overseas: Tel: 61-2-6670-8563

Fax: 61-2-6670-8550

Email: firearmsenq@police.nsw.gov.au

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34515 - 09/07/05 11:36 PM

Queensland

Visitors Licenses - International Visitors
International visitors wanting to use weapons in Australia so they can participate in competitive sports shooting events, hunting tours or other activities require special permits from Australian Police before arrival. If applying for this type of licence, you must be entitled by law to possess and use a weapon or type of weapon in the state or country where you normally reside. The following information will help you through the process.

What do I have to do
If you want to use firearms during your stay in Australia, you need to apply for two permits:

An import permit ( to allow you to bring firearms into the country); and
An international visitor weapons/firearms permit/licence (to allow you to possess, carry and use weapons/firearms during your stay).

To begin the process, apply to the police of the first Australian State or Territory you will be entering for both permits. For example, if you plan to enter Australia first through Victoria (even though you may go afterwards to other Australian States or Territories), then apply to Victoria Police for both permits.

Application forms for both permits can be obtained from the police of every Australian State or Territory. Australian Firearms Licence Authorities / Registries Contact List

If you are a member of a sports shooting or hunting club in your home country, you may also be able to get copies of the application forms directly from your club. Check with your club.

Make sure you fill out the application form completely and accurately. This will ensure your application is processed quickly by Australian police, and will help avoid delays.

When do I apply
Apply well in advance of your visit, at least a month before your arrival. This will ensure that Australian police will have time to check your application and to send you your permits. This is important, as you will need to have both permits with you on the day you arrive in Australia.

What will I be allowed to do
When you receive your permits, you will be allowed to import your firearm into Australia and to possess, carry and use your firearm during your stay.

Strict conditions will apply. For example:

You will only be allowed to use weapons/firearms for specific purposes (for competitive sports shooting events; for hunting' or other specified purposes);
You will need to comply with all the other requirements in the firearms laws of the Australian State or Territory you are visiting;
You will need to observe specific storage requirements;
You will need to carry the permit at all times and show it to Australian police on request; and
You will need to ensure that you take your weapon/firearm with you out of Australia when you leave.

Note that no permit will be issued for a period longer than 3 months.

Moving between different Australian States and Territories
If you plan to move between different Australian States and Territories during your stay and your permit is for competitive sports shooting, then you will be allowed to use your weapon/firearm in the different States and Territories with the one set of permits you receive from the first State or Territory you enter.

If you plan to move between different Australian States and Territories and have a permit for other reasons (for example hunting), then you may need to get separate permits from each State and Territory regarding the requirements applying there.

What types of firearms are allowed?
Whilst most common types of firearms can be brought into Australia under a permit, international visitors should note that permits will not generally be issued for the following types of firearms:

Semi-automatic centrefire rifles;
High capacity semi-automatic rimfire rifles or shotguns;
High capacity pump-action shotguns; or
Fully automatic firearms

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/program/wlb/inter.shtml

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34516 - 09/07/05 11:41 PM

Victoria

International Visitor Firearm Permit
Sat 14 May 2005

This permit only applies to Category A, B and C (pump action or self loading shotguns) firearms and handguns.

The relevant Customs Import Permit must accompany this permit application.

Please send all applications to:

Licensing Services Division
GPO Box 2807
Melbourne, VIC 3001

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=224

International Visitor Firearm Permit
Filename: 402_Application-for-International-Visitor-Permit.pdf Description: Application for persons wishing to bring firearms into Victoria from overseas Filesize: 277 kb Open file (OPENS IN NEW WINDOW)

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?Media_ID=402

On this website

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=25&Media_ID=402

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34517 - 09/07/05 11:43 PM

Northern Territory

http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/police/services/firearms/licences.html#anchor10

Temporary (Visitors) Licence

All persons from overseas who wish to bring Category A, B or H firearms into Australia through the Northern Territory for recreation (safari) or competition shooting must apply for and be issued a Temporary Licence (Permit). No Temporary Permit will be issued for category C or D Class firearms without the applicant first obtaining approval of the Federal Government to bring the firearm into Australia.

The Police will also issue, a "B709A" Importation of Firearms certificate that will allow the firearms to successfully pass through Customs.

All applicants must provide the following details:

complete an official application for a Temporary Permit
provide a colour passport photograph
provide a photocopy of your current Shooter’s Licence (if applicable)
provide a photocopy of your current registration certificate for the firearms for which the Permit is required (if applicable)
provide a full detailed list of all firearms (make, model, serial number, type) and ammunition.
Click here to print out an application for a Termporary Permit.
http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/police/services/firearms/pdf/pf446.pdf

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34518 - 09/07/05 11:46 PM

Western Australia

F19 Overseas visitors, temporary firearm permit.
Yes, you can bring firearms into Western Australia by filling out the Form 16.

ONE Overseas visitors need to ascertain from this website or by written correspondance with Firearms Branch, 210 Adelaide Terrace, Perth WA 6004, that they can actually license the firearm(s) they wish to visit Western Australia with (eg: you will not get a submachine gun licensed in Western Australia). The applicant will also require a genuine need and a genuine reason for bring the firearm(s) into Western Australia (eg: to compete in a specific competition, to be part of an licensed hunting group).

TWO Visitors will also require, from Firearms Branch, a Customs Importation Police approval form, known as a B709, which will be issued with the temporary firearm permit. This form permits the applicant, on arrival in Australia, a means of delaration to Customs officers, as to legality of firearm ownership and permission to bring these prohibited items into Western Australia.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Services/FirearmsandWeapons.asp?FrequentlyAskedQuestions#F19

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34520 - 09/07/05 11:54 PM

South Australia

http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/firearms/firearms_faq.shtml

Q. I live interstate, can I bring my firearms into South Australia?

A. Exemption of Persons from outside the State

Regulation 50 permits persons who usually reside outside the State to use a firearm in South Australia if authorised to do so under the law of their usual place of residence. However, where their usual place of residence is outside Australia, they cannot possess or use a class C, D or H firearm for hunting. NE.com note: these are basically self-loading rifles, handguns, and self-loading and pump action shotguns - see here for classes.

Regulation 50(5) provides that a person has moved to South Australia, they must, within 7 days after moving, apply for registration of, and for a license to possess and use, the firearms in their possession. Provided the person complies with this requirement, they may continue to possess and use class A and B firearms, and to possess (but not use) class C, D and H firearms for a period of 3 months after moving, if they were authorised to do so under the law of their former place of residence (pending the determination of their license application in this State).

Regulation 50

Note:
Persons moving to South Australia and applying for registration of firearms are therefore, under regulation 25(2), not required to produce a 'permit to purchase' nor a firearms license issued in South Australia. They must, however, produce the firearm(s) to be registered, along with the appropriate certificate(s) of registration for the firearm(s) and their firearms license issued under the law of their usual or former place of residence at the time of making a firearms licence application.

Another web page:http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/firearms/firearms_licences.shtml

http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/firearms/docs/Firearms_Act_Regulations_Information.pdf

Email address:
SAPOL.FirearmsBranch@police.sa.gov.au

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34521 - 09/07/05 11:57 PM

Tasmania

http://www.police.tas.gov.au/permits/firearms/licence

How do I apply for a Firearms Licence?
The Firearms Act 1996 provides for a person to make application for a firearms licence under various categories. To apply for a firearms licence, you must be 18 years or over, have a genuine reason for wanting a firearm and have a need for a particular type of firearm.

To apply for a licence, you will need to complete an "Application for a firearms licence" form and complete it as per the instructions. Applications must be signed in the presence of a police officer or receiving officer. There is a requirement that the applicant produces evidence of identity totalling 100 points (Acceptable Methods of Identification Form attached). Once completed, applications should be mailed to the Firearms Registry along with the relevant fee.

The minimum time for the processing of your application will be 28 days, after which time you will be notified by mail.

If your application is successful, you will be asked to go to one of the listed Police Stations or a Tasmanian Police Firearms Office and present proof of identification. There you will be photographed for your licence similar to a drivers licence.

Application for a firearms licence form
(pdf format 57 KB)

Copies of the form are also available at nominated Police Stations or by contacting Firearms Enquiries.

For further information, please contact:
Firearms Enquiries
Phone (03) 6230 2720
GPO Box 1264
Hobart TAS 7001.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34522 - 10/07/05 12:04 AM

In reply to:

I would like to add another separate but related question here for when any outfitters are able to respond...

After going through this mess with the customs forms and "proof of ownership"...

If you get the two month NT firearms permit and are going hunting for a week or two in NT does that permit allow you to possess your firearm anywhere in Australia?

Also are you allowed to possess the firearm or shoot or hunt on a friend's property in another state after the outfitted hunt is over but still within that 60 day period that the NT permit is valid?

Richard.

Richard

I have added hours of fun for you to read if you will.

I think the best way is this. You probably need a permit for entering Australia from the state you enter through. If this is Sydney they seem to restrict the international hunter more than most by having a "Safari Tour Hunting Firearms permit". This is unfortunate as most hunters fly in via Sydney or Perth!

If you are hunting in the NT, the NT firearms licence is pretty broad and covers you for basically the rest of Australia mostly anyway. WA might be another one to specifically enquire re their requirements, inaddition to NSW.

Vic, SA, Tas, Qld and NT seem reasonable complementary.

Your NT outfitter will handle all this for you and get you to
supply the appropriate info. So it is nowhere near as bad as it seems.

I have posted info, links and contact info for all the states anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

rgp
.333 member

#34535 - 10/07/05 01:00 PM

NitroX,

I'm going to be reading this post for the next several days...that is a lot of information.

Thank you,

Richard.

Edit...

There has to be some way of entering through Darwin, but unless QANTAS has added more flights, flights from the USA to Australia land in Brisbane, Sydney, or Melbourne. QANTAS' departure points in the USA are Honolulu and Los Angeles. If you get a ticket from American Airlines, Air Canada, BA, or Lufthansa, you'll be on a QANTAS flight.

I think the only other airline actually flying USA to Australia is United Airlines with a Honolulu to Sydney route.

The idea of entering with a firearm through Melbourne is scary...if Victoria police object to a pocketknife I dread what they'd think of a gun.

RGP

Edited by rgp (10/07/05 01:46 PM)

rgp
.333 member

#34547 - 10/07/05 06:35 PM

After spending most of the night (it is 3:30 am here now and I started reading about 10 pm) reading the information from the Australian state police sites, I have come to the conclusion that this is definitely something to be done through a licensed outfitter, and that is what I intend to do rather than taking the risk of screwing up and losing a firearm.

Richard

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34552 - 10/07/05 10:27 PM

It isn't as bad as it looks.

You really need to state which state you are entering in, which state you will be hunting with an outfitter and where you private hunting will be done.

Most states and territories are very similar in requirements and have reciprocal rights ie so a licence issued in one state is recognised in others eg if issued for the same purpose eg hunting.

The exceptions from my reading are NSW (Sydney) and Western Australia (Perth). WA has always had the worst laws in Australia. NSW seems to restrict foreign hunters to hunting only with licenced outfitters or shooting through recognised sporting shooting clubs.

This is no worse than the USA and indeed I believe firearms are easier for a foreign shooter to get into Australia than eg for a foreign shooter to get firearms into the USA currently.

Most US outfitters seem to advise not to try and just borrow one now!

Food for thought!

The NSW licence would still allow you possess your firearms just maybe not hunt privately with them. Licences from NT, SA, QLD and Vic (maybe also Tas) seem to allow you to hunt or shoot in the states and also these licences are recognised by the other states too.

It really is not a major problem.

Your outfitter should know anyway and can advise.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5859

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com