Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oh How I want a Howdah

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Oh How I want a Howdah
      #343614 - 25/07/20 11:19 AM

OK lets agree theres not a lot of practical "need" for a Howdah pistol anymore; but I think theres a few of us that want one. A while back I bought one of the muzzleloaders (20ga X 20ga). I even bought the holster for it, hoping at sometime I might have a reason to carry it! The muzzleloader is nice; but it leaves me wanting more from it. I think it may be that the grip doesnt quite look "right" and the grip cap looks like an after thought. I just saw that they make a kit version, so Im thinking about some personal upgrades, starting with stippeling and a new grip cap.

Ive been looking at the 410/45LC Howdahs as a cartridge option. Sadly 410 isnt exactly a powerhouse and I doubt whether the 45LC can be loaded into the 454 Casull range; but that brings me back to where/how Id need it to be a stopper. The original Ithaca Auto/Burglars that the Pedersoli is based on, are a handfull to shoot in 12ga and not particularly comfortable to open because the hammerless design and short barrels means less leverage to open/cock. Im not sure if Ithaca ever made a 20ga version; but that seems like it might have been a better option, for self defense from both 4 and 2 legged animals. Of course the NFA issue remains with the original Ithaca.

Today i discovered that Pedersoli makes a "vintage" model of the 45/410 Howdah. The "vintage" looks like the Ithaca except that it has hammers. With hammers theres no extra cocking effort to open the gun. Being in 45LC means no NFA issues (especially when traveling); but Im still back to where/how do I use it to make the $1400.00 cost seem somewhat justifiable?

Im telling myself it would be great to have while hunting Wild Boar for the inevitable charging beast? Perhaps for Bear hunting when going to check on a downed animal? Maybe for when camping in Bear country to make those late night latrine runs a bit easier that toting a rifle? Do those excuses sounds as lame as I think they do?

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Oh How I want a Howdah [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #343615 - 25/07/20 11:27 AM

Its not that I havent bought silly (COOL) guns before. Its not that I needed to have a reason to justify them. Its just that the 45/410 Howdah is harder to justify. Lord knows convincing myself I needed a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Freedom Arms 454 was hard but easier. Ive since sold 3 of those and the remaining will do anything the 45/410 Howdah can and more.....but the Freedom Arms is a SAA and the Pedersoli is a Howdah.

Yet its NOT about needs. Its all about WANTS

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #343616 - 25/07/20 11:55 AM

9.3x74r brass can likely reach the rifling in those chambers.
I use that brass I'm in my contender 45/410 chamber to put the bullet at the rifling.

Huge case capacity.

You might want to consider that as a loading option for the Pedersoli 45/410 Howdah.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #343620 - 25/07/20 01:50 PM

Quote:

Its not that I havent bought silly (COOL) guns before.......
Yet its NOT about needs. Its all about WANTS

Glad you said that EDELWEISS, that sums it up in a nutshell about us all here quite succinctly!!!
No we're not crazy, just on a lifetime's journey of discovery........until the wife finds out about the next one; its then just longer between "discoveries"!

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Oh How I want a Howdah [Re: 93x64mm]
      #343635 - 25/07/20 09:57 PM

The issue nagging at me is I can "use" or see some use for most of my silly errrrrr cool guns. When I bought my HK Mk23 and Kniights suppressor, I "knew" I could use it if I ever had to parachute into Russia to rescue a princess before she was killed by angry mobs... When I bought my Baker rifle, I "knew" I might have to fight French Cavalry with my Chosen men....and my future Paradox is for when Im building a bridge and being attacked by a pair of lions....but whats the chance Id be tiger hunting and be attacked while riding on an elephant?

Wait a minute, I guess I do NEED it when riding through cities full of ragging black panthers

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (25/07/20 09:59 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1051

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com