Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is it re-imagining history or making old into new

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Is it re-imagining history or making old into new
      #343399 - 20/07/20 02:59 AM

Ever have a lust for a gun you couldnt find or worse couldnt afford? Then ever think I can do that?

I cringe when I see a bad "Bubba sporter" of a military rifle; but when I see a truly nice job I think back the the gunsmith guilds between the world wars. When I stumble across a salvaged action my mind starts thinking "Project Time". A while back I ended up with a 91/30 Mosin that called my name. I suppose I could have restored it to full military pride; but I decided to break one of my rules. I started thinking "what if". What if all the guilds who built beautiful Mausers, also did their magic on Mosins.

I started with a laminated (military stock) that I stripped and shortened to be a full length stock for a new 24" barrel. I thinned the stock, removing the swell forward of the action and filled the cleaning rod cut with a dowel so that once refinished the dowel would show as different colour from the rest of the stock when finished. I wanted it to look like it came from a military rifle but was remade into a fine sporter. I left the sling swivel escusions in place but fire blued them. Then I filled the loops and added original Finn swivels for a more sporting type sling. After stripping the stock, I left it blond and seal it so it shows the laminate pattern.

The action was in good shape; but the bolt needed attention to make it a sporter. First it needed to be bent; but not just bent so I made a a cross between a butterknife and a spoon design. I wanted a double set trigger but couldnt find anything that would work, so I ended up with a Timney (safety) model.

I toyed with a few different cartridge choices. I really wanted something like 9.3x54 but I couldnt find any dies or ammo specs. I "know" the cartridge exists but without any specifics I decided 762x54 would be fine and set about finding a barrel for it. Finally I chose McGowen.

It needed sights and my first thought was a set of folding express sight, then thought that just didnt "fit" a Mosin. So I ended up going with Steyr style front and rear. I finished the front end with metal nose cap.

My original plan had been to use a PE scope and mount but I had better optics in mind so I used a Khales in a side mount. Im a huge fan of No1 reticles for fast use in heavy brush and limited light.

It turned out better than I imagined. Between the cost of the rifle, new barrel, scope and mount PLUS the gunsmiths time, its the most expensive Mosin youve ever seen but its all mine and it shoots great.

I had originally intended to build two rifles. One a full length stock with a "carbine" length with a 22" barrel and a second with a half stock and 26" barrel. The second is still on hold waiting for a suitable donner rifle.

If I ever get the second built, my plan is a farther and son hunt up north for wolf. Do you think they let me put a horse out for bait, so I could say "I put snow in my mouth to cool my breath....."

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Edited by EDELWEISS (20/07/20 03:06 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Is it re-imagining history or making old into new [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #343401 - 20/07/20 03:05 AM

Ive also been thinking about a 98 Mauser in 275 Rigby for a stalking rifle. I know I can find GREAT factory rifles, that will be cheaper and sell for more later; but its the project that is the point of these builds.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Is it re-imagining history or making old into new [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #343407 - 20/07/20 05:07 AM

this is dangerous, if you start its hard to stop

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....e=0&fpart=1

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=224175&an=0&page=1#Post224175

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=236683&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
Re: Is it re-imagining history or making old into new [Re: lancaster]
      #343440 - 20/07/20 09:03 PM

I love seeing people take on a challenge, and a Mosin is certainly a challenge to turn into something presentable. I long thought stocked to the muzzle would be the way to go with this action if a guy were to try. Years ago I started such a project myself, but have yet to finish it, full stock, new bottom metal, forged bolt, lots of reshaping etc. Good luck with your builds sir!

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Is it re-imagining history or making old into new [Re: themauserkid]
      #343442 - 20/07/20 10:07 PM

EDELWEISS,
hope to see some photos of your work - sounds an interesting build for sure!
Never know, perhaps a switch barrel job with a 9.3x54R to up the ante for heavier game?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1447

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com