Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1
BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information
      #341088 - 14/05/20 02:55 PM

I am presently putting together as much .405 Winchester reloading data, as I can, for a book project I am working on. I already have lots of the common .405 Winchester components, such as Hornady cases and projectiles, Bertram cases, Woodleigh and Barnes TSX projectiles. However, I am trying to source the following:

1. Any original .405 projectiles, preferably FMJ, from Winchester, UMC, Kynoch or any other early maker - even just one or two projectiles will do as I want to section them and find out just how they made the early FMJs for this calibre,

2. Brass cases from Kynoch, Eley, UMC, Jamison, RCC or any other maker (other than those I listed as already having), and

3. Current manufacture projectiles from North Fork, Hawk or any other maker.

Further, if anyone has some interesting information, history, hunting stories about the .405, I would be very interested to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: BwanaBob]
      #341215 - 19/05/20 08:37 AM

Bob
Kenneth Anderson, writer and hunter of man-eating leopards and tigers in India, used a Winchester 1895 in .405 calibre for most of his hunting

Several of his books are good reads, and on Kindle if you wish

TH44

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: TH44]
      #341225 - 19/05/20 10:36 PM

BB,
try sending a PM to crshelton, i believe he has a double in .405Win, hopefully he'll post all his data here for you

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #341226 - 19/05/20 11:45 PM

Quote:

Bob
Kenneth Anderson, writer and hunter of man-eating leopards and tigers in India, used a Winchester 1895 in .405 calibre for most of his hunting

Several of his books are good reads, and on Kindle if you wish

TH44

Kenneth Anderson's books are entertaining but pretty much fiction pretending to be non-fiction.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #341227 - 19/05/20 11:48 PM

Bob, I'm sure you know, that Theodore Roosevelt used a Win 1895 .405 on his safaris. The .405 was NOT however his "big stick" like some claim. That was his H&H double rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

BwanaBob
.300 member

#341266 - 21/05/20 11:32 AM

Thankyou for the information and I already have all of KA's hunting books.

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

BwanaBob
.300 member

Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: NitroX]
      #341268 - 21/05/20 11:51 AM

John,
Why do you think that KA's stories are fiction? I have read those comments, made by some of the Indian members of various hunting and gun related forums, and I strongly suspect that their comments are just part of a modern day, Indian desire to discredit all hunting and, especially, all hunting by resident hunters. KA's son, Donald, was also a hunter and there is a biography of Donald now available. I have been in touch with the author of that biography and he wrote that biography with lots of input from Donald. The author also has a huge collection of photos, from KA, and some of those photos support his stories as being true and not fiction. I now have some of those photos for my book. To give you an idea of the Indian desire to discredit past hunters, I had one Indian on the KA facebook page, try to tell me that KA's son told him that his father never shot any tigers or leopards - yet that conflicts with Donald's own biography and also with the chapter, in one of KA's books, that was written by Donald! I also read some comments, by two Indians, who claimed that they had searched the records of the Indian government and could find no reference to KA ever shooting any maneaters - the only problem was that these two commentators only searched the records for the period of time AFTER KA's hunting days had ended - and so their conclusion was invalid.
cheers,
Bob

--------------------

BwanaBob
.300 member

Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: NitroX]
      #341269 - 21/05/20 11:58 AM

John,
I have an entire chapter dedicated to TR and I have done a LOT of research on his use of the .405. However, what most people are not aware of is that TR was not the only, nor the first, hunter to use the .405 in Africa - and I have lots of chapters on famous and notable hunters who used the .405 in Africa, India and North America. Indeed, the more I look the more I find! The one area that I have having trouble finding info, photos or stories, is here in Oz. I believe that some of the Northern Territory buffalo hunters used the .405, although most of them used surplus SMLEs, but I cannot find any actual data on the .405 in Oz!
cheers,
Bob

--------------------

BwanaBob
.300 member

Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: 93x64mm]
      #341271 - 21/05/20 12:08 PM

Thank you, I will do that. In fact, there are a number of members with .405s, and I was going to approach each of them to see if they willing to help.

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #342377 - 16/06/20 12:53 AM

Bob:

Many years ago a good friend of mine had a Winchester 21, factory made with 12 gau. & .405 barrels. He told my it was the only 21 ever made in .405. I have no way to verify that as he passed away several years ago and I have no idea where his collection is.

Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: aromakr]
      #342379 - 16/06/20 01:23 AM

Seems to me, there was an article on that or other M21 combo back in the 70's or early 80's in Rifle or maybe American Rifleman magazine, Bob. I no longer have those magazines - gone. It rings a bell.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: DarylS]
      #342395 - 16/06/20 09:54 AM

I picked up a "new" 1895 in 405win last year. I told myself I needed a new gun for Wild Boar.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

BwanaBob
.300 member

Re: Wanted: .405 Winchester projectiles, cases and information [Re: DarylS]
      #343206 - 10/07/20 06:48 PM

From my research, which is still ongoing, there were several Model 21's made in .405. Elmer Keith, in his Shotgun book, refers to a small number being made in the 1930's and I have found two more that were made around 2008. The newer Model 21's were made by the Connecticut Shotgun Company, for Winchester, and one was engraved with American big game animals in gold (The Grand American pattern) and the other was engraved with African game animals (The Grand African pattern). There is no telling if any others were made although, without a doubt, the number would be very small.

--------------------

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
      #343207 - 10/07/20 11:55 PM

Here's something interesting:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869218968

Quite a bit of vintage 405 ammo there on GB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3445

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com