Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 1 inch scope in 26mm rings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Bidyanus1
.300 member

Reged: 12/04/13
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
1 inch scope in 26mm rings
      #343117 - 07/07/20 10:34 PM

Hi Team Mannlicher

I have a M72 Stutzen in 270. It has the Mannlicher quick release mounts. I want to change the old 6x Kahles scope that has a 26mm tube to a Leupold 1.5 x 5 scope. As you know the Leupold has a 1" tube (or 25.4mm) and the Mannlicher rings are for a 26mm tube of the old Kahles.

I think I can pack the 26mm rings with shims made from an aluminium coke can.

Any advice?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 1 inch scope in 26mm rings [Re: Bidyanus1]
      #343119 - 07/07/20 11:45 PM

You'll want to use 0.010" shim stock.
Easy enough.

Once it's together it's a done deal.
Do it

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Bidyanus1
.300 member

Re: 1 inch scope in 26mm rings [Re: tinker]
      #343133 - 08/07/20 08:18 AM

Hi Tinker

OK I found this out on the net because I had never heard of shim stock...see below

Shim stock is material used to make shims, which are small wedges of this particular material and are used to fill small spaces or gaps between two objects. The shim is usually thin and tapered. It is used to create support, level an object or make for a tighter fit among parts.

Do you recommend any particular material? Copper, Aluminium, Tin? (Ive also no idea what shim stock usually is made of)

Thanks in advance
Bidyanus

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #343136 - 08/07/20 10:23 AM

Disregard their comments regarding taper.

Shim stock can literally be *anything* that'll fill the space, be rigid, and maintain it's section.

In industry, shim stock is typically sheet in rolls or strips, often made of brass, stainless, and hard steel.
Your beverage can idea is a common source for shim material.
In the past we'd use the thin aluminum foil component of the Nestle Crunch chocolate bar wrapper. It was consistently .0002" thick. That's a fifth of a thousandth of an inch, useful in many situations.

An inch is 25.4mm
The difference between 25.4 and 26.0 is 0.6mm
0.6mm is 0.0236 inch
You need half that thickness for your shim stock.
I've used 0.010 with great success, that choice being driven by convenience. 0.010" (or "ten thou") shim stock is commonly found on the workbench or in the toolbox.

If you have a micrometer or a precision caliper, you will likely be able to find something around the house that'll do.
To be honest, the scope on one of my daily use ranch rifles features 3M Post-it Note paper as shim stock in one of the rings. It's working great - and I likely have whatever thickness of 'proper' shim stock in the shop -- furthermore my home shop is a machine shop which I could use to permanent rectify the situation, but the paper shim is doing very nicely.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #343153 - 08/07/20 01:54 PM

As you live in Australia you can get yourself a "Champion Shim Stock" pack from any good bearing supplier.

It includes 6 sheets of shim stock which are 6" square.
0.002" x2
0.003" x2
0.006" x1
0.010" x1

The thin stuff you can cut with normal good quality scissors. Price is under $20.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: 1 inch scope in 26mm rings [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #343157 - 08/07/20 05:07 PM

No do not use metal shims, I've done dozens of 1" scopes in 26mm rings. From memory 5 wraps of cellotape around the scope is all that is needed making sure the last wrap end is more or less 'butted' to the start end if you get my drift i.e. 5 full turns not overlapping. The clear celloptape is best and is available in the same width as the ring. Cellotape compresses to become virtually a solid plastic shim and you get no slippage, not affected by heat and does not mark the scope.
Do not use soft electrical tape as it is affected by heat with the tape 'glue' becoming slimy and the scope will slip in the rings.

Used to open a lot of 1" rings out to accommodate 26mm scopes then reuse them with cellotape shimming when using 1" scopes in these opened out or new 26mm rings Never used anything other than cellotape and never had an issue with scope slippage.

Bidyanus1
.300 member

Re: 1 inch scope in 26mm rings [Re: eagle27]
      #343158 - 08/07/20 07:50 PM

OK thanks Team
cheers
Bidyanus

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2333

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com