Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8 bore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
8 bore
      #3418 - 23/06/03 04:34 PM

Though some mite like to read ,had a great time

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

» Hello, Dave James [ log out ] THE ACCURATE RELOADING FORUMS » Hunting » Big Game Hunting » 450Nitro &hogs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!
Author Topic: 450Nitro &hogs
Dave James
One Of Us
Member # 9127

posted 06-21-2003 09:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judgeg, just wanted to take the time and say thanks agian for selling me the ruger In 450 nitro,and thanks to NE450 for load info just got back from my first hunt trip in over two years due to back surgery, and must say hogs were slamed to the ground like the wrath of GOD.
The 450 accounted for two feral's that weight in at 200 and 250 dressed and I took one with my 8 bore black powder under hammer that went 150-160
lbs, all meat was given to a local charity and boy were they happy to get it,swamps were not back this time we only killed four cotton mouths

--------------------
"Stay Alert,Stay Alive"
"Niet geschoten is altijd mis"

"Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 673 | From: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged

N E 450 No2
One Of Us
Member # 7862

posted 06-21-2003 10:28
Dave
Congratulations on your hunt. Sounds like you did real good. What load and bullets did you use, and where did you hit the pigs? Details Man Details.
Posts: 1326 | From: texas | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged

JudgeG
One Of Us
Member # 10

posted 06-21-2003 14:37
I'd love to hear more about it! Good gun, good buyer, good price! Can't beat that!

--------------------
JudgeG

DigitalDan
One Of Us
Member # 9315

posted 06-21-2003 18:46
Always carry enough gun!

--------------------
Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to conceive...

Posts: 571 | From: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged

Dave James
One Of Us
Member # 9127

posted 06-22-2003 07:19
The day started with a 15hour drive to the honey hole,we arrived about 0400,unloaded the truck and Papa Tucci's atv,we decided to walk down and check the feeders,as we were walking the sun was just breaking through the swamp,the water was misting and the blue jays were makeing a fuss,could hear morning dove calling and even an old bull gator roared,life was good. We found the feeders about 0500 and they were about half full,and tracks every where,we vered off and went to walk the river bank,we had moved about 70yards when Tucci shot,the air was heavy and it took awhile for the smoke to clear,when it did we found her laying about 20 yards futher on,I stayed while Tucci went back for the atv,I knew it would take awhile because he goes out the same way he came in SLOW,I was watching the back trails when I saw a sow and her brood cross,so i hunkered down behind Tucci's pig and layed the 450 across he back,about 15-20 minutes went by and heard the pig coming, it was rooting along,as he stepped into the path he stopped and looked down the path,and started shuffleing toward me, at about 25 or 30yards I put one round just under his chin,and it just slamed him back on his back side,as i was about to put another into him I realized he was dead sitting up,latter when Tucci showed up we hooked both pigs to the gamble and then to the triple tree and towed them back to the truck.While at the area to field clean them Tucci looked up and yelled at me to shoot that pig,I grabed the 450 and looked,75 or 80 yards down the path was one standing there,I don't think it even knew we were there,as it turned to go I put one into its side ahead of the rear leg and behind the rib cage,it hunched up took 10 or12 steps and dropped,i walked over to check it and it was stone dead.We finished up cleaning the three and ourselfs and had lunch,now you have to picture a redneck and a southern Italian at luhch,,Tucci had me set up the folding table,with table cloth and folding chairs,he set the table,with iced cold tea, ravoil and garic sauce,meatballs and cheeze and potatoe rolls,damn it was good, along about 1500 we headed back into the swamp,I told him I was takeing the 8bore,his only worry was weather i was strong enough to tote it,we didn't see another pig untill a hour before sunset, Tucci saw him and told me to shoot.I kneeled and layed the barrel across the sticks and touched her off,even over the boom of that cannon I heard the round ball hit,it sounded just like some one had hit a side of beef with an axe handle.It was time for the atv again,and once again back at the truck Tucci was smileing,he told me he hadn't seen me have that much fun in a long time,as we were sitting on the tailgate we saw a bobcat crossing the open path he stopped as if to look at us and I swear he nodded to say well done and then slinked off into the reeds.
Rifles
Ruger 450 Nitro 3 1/4" 80grains,5grains filler and a 570 hardcast and checked slug,2nd load was 82.5 grains/3gain filler and a 450 WFN hardcast and checked slug
Pacific Arms 8bore/ 315 grains FF black,over powder wad, .15ticking and a 950 grain round ball
12bore, Army&Navy single bore, don't know Tucci's load

[ 06-22-2003, 07:23: Message edited by: Dave James ]

--------------------
"Stay Alert,Stay Alive"

"Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state"

N E 450 No2
One Of Us
Member # 7862

posted 06-22-2003 07:47
Sounds like a great hunt.
Just want to know one thing...Did Tucci have a tape of violin music playing durring lunch?
Posts: 1326 | From: texas | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged

mstarling
One Of Us
Member # 9326

posted 06-22-2003 17:54
Great strory ...

Now I won't feel guilty about trying the .416 Rigby or .470 NE on hogs! Looks like I certainly won't be the only one every to go "over gunned."

--------------------
Mike
--------------

making knives to fund a trip to Africa
http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 418 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged

JohnK007
One Of Us
Member # 8230

posted 06-22-2003 21:21
Bravo David!! A well written, entertaining story. Way to go.
Posts: 171 | From: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged

Dave James
One Of Us
Member # 9127

posted 06-23-2003 07:56
NE450, Of course VERDI

--------------------
"Stay Alert,Stay Alive"

All times are Dubai Time

Printer-friendly view of this topic Hop To: Select a Forum: Category: Hunting -------------------- African Big Game Hunting Hunting Reports - Africa Big Game Hunting Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World Varmint Hunting The AccurateReloading Book Handgun Hunting Bowhunting Spear Hunting & Fishing Dogs Small Game Hunting Bird Shooting Taxidermy European Big Game Hunting Category: Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading -------------------- Gunsmithing Reloading Wildcats And Their Development Big Bores Medium Bore Rifles Small Calibers Gun Ownership & Politics Military & Military Surplus Your Favorite Loads - Share Them With Us Single Shot Rifles Single Shot Pistols Cast Bullets Gun Collecting Walter's Own General Discussions Cartridge Collecting Optics Category: Shooting -------------------- Benchrest & Target Shooting Pistol Shooting Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols Fun Shooting Category: Other Topics -------------------- Humor Shotgunning Air Rifle Contest Moderators Only Miscellaneous Topics Black Powder Classified Recipes For Hunters Knives And Knife Making 4x4, ATV, SUV - Hunting, Fishing, Moon Buggys, Mars Rovers Books Of Interest Category: Computers, Hi-Tech & Product Reviews -------------------- Technology Practical Photography For Hunters Product Reviews Category: Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea -------------------- The Natural World Fishing Game Management

Contact Us | accuratereloading.com

UBB.classicTM 6.3.0

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 8 bore [Re: DaveJames]
      #3423 - 23/06/03 11:23 PM

Dave

Sounds like you had a fun time with your .450 Nitro and your 8-bore.

I gather the .450 Ruger is a No. 1 ?

Any photos of the hunt or rifles?

Thanks for posting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: 8 bore [Re: NitroX]
      #3431 - 24/06/03 04:58 PM

Nitro, nope no photos,I'm not set up to do that as of yet.Yes the 450 is on the No-1,it was a 45-70 that was converted,its more than likely just a little lite for the full house loads

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1242

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com