Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: T/C Encore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
T/C Encore
      #342890 - 29/06/20 01:30 AM

Sometimes I get fixated on a new "must have" and forget about what I already have in the safe. While rooting around I found my Encore. TWO because you just cant put a stainless barrel on a blue receiver OR worse a blue barrel on a stainless receiver. THAT would be like wearing mixed cammo patterns--the animals know and laugh at you....

So I started thinking a Encore may not be a classy as a Martini; it is a modern single shot option that can be configured as a pistol OR rifle from 22LR TO 375H&H and toss in .410, 20GA, and 12GA. If youre not satisfied with the factory barrels, custom barrels make the list even longer.

If blue or stainless isnt "enuf" Turnbull Customs will even colorcase your blued frame or sell you one they have on hand. The list of factory stocks and grips is long and custom option are even longer.

Ive hunted with Contenders and Encores. The pistol to rifle and back again is nice but I tend to concentrate on rifles "for now" anyway. Ive taken a Encore in the xame caliber as a traditional rifle on a hunt, especially when hunting with a levergun. That way I scope the Encore and leave the levergun "naked". Ive got a plan to add a Malcolm scope to a 405Win barrel as a set for my Win 1895 levergun; but thats in the future...

My current scheming started when I saw a Martini with a fully rifled 12ga barrel set up as a Big Bore rifle When I was wandering around lusting about the Martini, I spotted one of my Encores, and thought all I need is a rifled 12ga barrel, then a set of folding express sights and maybe a barrel band front sight. (THIS is where the Turnbull receiver started calling my name...). Now I'll be the first to admit the Martini is soooooo much cooler and I'll feel like a peasant if Im ever standing next to a gentleman with THAT Martini. OTOH most of my hunting buddies think its perfectly fine to mix their Cammo patterns, and would rather have a plastic gun then a nice piece of walnut. Best of all once I hunt with the Encore, Im pretty sure I'll "have to have" the Martini.

Who hunts with Contenders and Encores?

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: T/C Encore [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #342894 - 29/06/20 03:14 AM

I do.
I also have the Thompson Center TCR-83 Aristocrat.

The Contender / Encore systems are great for all sorts of things. We've also used the Encore as a test platform for transducer barrels for a pressure trace rig.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
Re: T/C Encore [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #342911 - 29/06/20 01:42 PM

I hunt with a Contender. I have .22 LR, 22 Hornet, 22 K-Hornet and 17HMR barrels. As soon as I can find a barrel in a caliber suitable for deer and bear I will have one of those also. At present mine gets used primarily for knocking down coyotes that are misbehaving in suburban/industrial environments or in euthanizing the ones trapped while performing mitigation work for the Livestock Protection Program. Short and light, relatively quiet and with its funky coloured stripped stock it does not look threatening to most people as a larger firearm might.

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: T/C Encore [Re: tinker]
      #342921 - 29/06/20 10:59 PM

Quote:

...I also have the Thompson Center TCR-83 Aristocrat....

I love the classic looks of the TCR 83 RIFLE. Its a shame they were discontinued.

--------------------

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: T/C Encore [Re: dracb]
      #342922 - 29/06/20 11:13 PM

My first Contender was in 223 and that is a very accurate pistol if I do my part. I bought a 22LR insert and used that with everything from 22CB caps to 22LR. With 22 CB caps, it is great for shooting pigeons - very quite and accurate.

Before I knew there was a difference between .223 & 5.56, I started shooting it with 5.56 ball ammo and it did very well.

Later, I bought a 375 Winchester barrel and another frame with grips. That 375 W became my go to deer gun. If I did my part, the 375 Winchester stopped deer immediately. It is a great cartridge, easy to reload, with good power and not terrible recoil.

The downfall of the 375 Winchester is that once it had been on the street for a while, it wasn't the "newer and better" cartridges, and gun writers, wanting to sell articles, flocked to the next cartridge.

I got my third Contender as part of a trade. It was a 9.3 JDJ. That is a very powerful, accurate, big game cartridge. Shooting it was similar to shooting my 454 with heavy bullet; you were sure when it fired. I later sold that Contender.

I have also had 357 S&W mag & 44 Mag contender barrels but would rather have a revolver in that caliber.

I have shot 35 Remington in a Contender and liked it

My recommendation for a Contender barrel for deer would be a 375 Winchester. It has great performance.

--------------------
RB

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: T/C Encore [Re: 85lc]
      #342941 - 01/07/20 12:03 PM

My first Contender had a 14 inch 44Mag barrel. The problem was that the pistol grip had a fancy thumb rest. I never had trouble shooting 44Magnum from a revolver; but damn that grip was horrible. I switched it for a T/C grip with a rubber back strap. It went from painful to pleasant.

I havent tried any pistol barrels on my Encores and Im just as happy without the huge desire to add pistol barrels. I do shoot a 16 inch 300 Black Out that is very short (even with a suppressor mounted.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1548

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com