Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: best bp catridge for hunting deer and elk?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
Re: best bp catridge for hunting deer and elk? [Re: DarylS]
      #67905 - 23/12/06 04:35 PM

Quote:

Cool!- I was only concerned about the action itself coming off face, not the barrels themselves.
; Many line jobs, eliminate the original barrels ahead of the breech-stubs anyway. Many double's smooth barrels are sweated into the breech stubs. A while back, one of the fellows did a photo expose' on the .450#2 Express he built on a double rifle & the regulations wedges he planted in the middle and at the muzzles prior to sweating on the ribs.

Even the Italian Sharps is not going to have headspace problems with anything you would want to shoot though it recoil wise, unless they forgot to even case harden it and even then its pretty darned strong. Much better than a double rifle.
A 4140 alloy 74 Sharps, if heat treated in the same way is likely stronger than a Ruger #1. Since they are generally only case hardened they might be marginally weaker but 50K PSI in a Shiloh 45-70 will not produce any headspace.

So far as a BPCR for Elk? 40-70 BN with a 350 gr or maybe a 45-100 with a 350-420 grain bullet. 1:40 alloy and a good flatpoint. Bullets heavier than 380 in the 40 and 420 in the 45 are not needed for elk. In fact the heavy bullets don't work as well on game this size in many cases.
American Bison are another matter.
I would not worry excessively about bullets over 450, *maybe* 500 grains in the 50 either. The 50s are real sledge hammers even with BP with this weight bullet. Bullet nose design is not even as important with the 50s as it is with the 40s (critical) or 45s (not as critical).

Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: best bp catridge for hunting deer and elk? [Re: Dphariss]
      #68052 - 25/12/06 01:11 PM

Either the .45 or .50 cal. would be my choice. With paper patched bullets and black powder, pure lead bullets can be used to good advantage, or 50/50 Wheelweights and pure lead makes a good alloy as well. With grooved bullets, .001" to .003" over groove diameter, straight wheelweights work well for me in both calibres, using SPG, Lyman BP lube or 60/40 Beeswax/vaseline.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6557

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com