Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What happened to Sabatti?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
What happened to Sabatti?
      #342159 - 12/06/20 09:45 AM

I know Cabela's used to sell them. I think they were the only US importer. They dont seem be available since Cabela's no longer carries them.

I had one in 9.3x74R (SxS). It was a great Pig gun, and had a decent price. I think the 45-70 and 9.3 were $3000 and the Nitro cartridge versions were $5000. I now some guys didnt like the way they were regulated and the stock was "dipped" to look like well figured wood; but they were a poor mans entry to a true double.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: What happened to Sabatti? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #342164 - 12/06/20 11:01 AM

Still show IFG in Amarillo, Tx. and Wholesale Hunter in Wetumpka, Alabama as USA sales outlets.

I have a Sabatti 9.3x74 that is "post Cabelas" and it does just fine. No ground muzzles.
Bought it as it came with the "Euro" Bavarian stock......felt OK shooting but I just could not abide the look of the hogback and cheekpiece so I removed those and refinished the stock to a "British" profile without cheekpiece and added a 1' Pachmayer Decelerator pad.

The actual wood was quite nicely dark & figured and came right up to match the forend when refinished with TruOil.
BTW: the stock was NOT that god awful dip painted "OptoWood" that is sometimes offered which disguises very plain wood.

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: What happened to Sabatti? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #342202 - 13/06/20 12:40 AM

I had two Sabatti's both purchased "NEW" from Cabela's. The first one in 9.3X74 rimmed. How I don't know but the chamber was actually an improved 9.3. It shot well and was fairly well regulated, however after about 250-300 rounds the top rib shot loose for almost half the length of the barrel. I contacted Cabela's they asked me to bring the rifle in and said they would refund my money or replace it. I went on line to all the Cabela's stores and found one in one of the Eastern US store that had a target that showed good regulation, the gun room manager had that rife ship to me, it had one of the dipped and ugly stocks. I restocked myself. Again after about 200 rounds the sears would no longer hold the hammers cocked, too soft I sent it to Cabela's repair station in Texas and they replaced the sears. So far all it good, but only time will tell.

Bob

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: What happened to Sabatti? [Re: aromakr]
      #342206 - 13/06/20 01:08 AM

Quote:

I had two Sabatti's both purchased "NEW" from Cabela's..... (snip)...the chamber was actually an improved 9.3. It shot well and was fairly well regulated,......
Bob

I did not think to mention; mine’s chambers are the same. Oversized as if “improved”, certainly not CIP or SAAMI.
As Bob says, still shoots just fine, and if brass is neck sized it does not fail as soon. Maybe Sabatti figures one will only shoot factory loads.....
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: What happened to Sabatti? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #342215 - 13/06/20 04:58 AM

Mike:
The second rifle has standard 9.3X74R chambers. I had a set of dies made for the first rifle and still have them if your interested. There of no use to me, you pay the postage and there yours!

Bob

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: What happened to Sabatti? [Re: aromakr]
      #342216 - 13/06/20 05:18 AM

Bob,
I have to assume that the Sabatti “weird improved 9.3x74” chambers would be the same as in mine.....so, you have a deal.
Look for a PM.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2305

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com