Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Green elephant hunting"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"Green elephant hunting"
      #34212 - 02/07/05 05:08 PM

Elephant 'hunt' keeps em alive
14/03/2005 23:19 - (SA)

Cape Town - The official website of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve makes no mention of lethal commercial trophy hunting taking place within the reserve, but does advertise "Green hunting", which the reserve claims to have pioneered.

According to the website , this is "the ultimate union of hunting and conservation, where the thrill and challenge of the hunt prevails without the loss of life".

"Hunters are given the chance to pit their every skill and wit against the greatest of the Big Five, but, at the final moment, the hunter is able to grant - not take - the elephant's life," it states.

Essentially, it involves a hunter "shooting" an elephant with a tranquilliser dart, which renders it unconscious, and then posing next to the sleeping animal for a photograph. Bronze casts of the tusks are an optional extra.

More information is offered at a linked site where this hunting method is described in detail.

Tracking from downwind

"A team of expert trackers and a professional guide assist the hunter to find and stalk a large African bull elephant.

"Tracking carefully from downwind, the hunter finally comes within range, close enough for the dart to hit home - even closer than normal range.

"Silence... the crack of a dart gun, and the elephant reacts in surprise, crashing away through the bush. Adrenaline pumps as the drug takes effect - the hunters racing to keep the elephant in sight.

"As the big bull goes down, the hunter and the team of experts move in, together with a wildlife veterinarian to monitor the sleeping elephant, and a Kruger (National Park) research team place a radio collar around the bull's neck.

Back on its feet

"The hunter is photographed with his quarry and a cast of the tusks is taken to make an exact replica in fibreglass or bronze -- an eco-friendly trophy of a successful hunt.

"All retreat a little while the antidote is given, and within minutes the bull is on his feet... a living trophy and a monument to the conservation of great bull elephants."

According to the website, the price of such a hunt is available on request, and includes veterinary fees, a helicopter and "back-up".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwanabloke
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
Re: "Green elephant hunting" [Re: NitroX]
      #34216 - 02/07/05 06:11 PM

I couldnt think of anything more GAY ! i know they do ''GREEN'' rhino hunts and they still want you to part with $5 or $6000.00u.s for the ''priviledge ''.Like a stupid woman at work suggested to me, ''that you can get buff horns made of resin '' then you wont have to go kill a buffalo '' bloody hell what next !

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: "Green elephant hunting" [Re: bwanabloke]
      #34219 - 02/07/05 08:43 PM

Dart hunting Rhino & Elephant and indeed other species is nothing new ------but don't knock it till you've tried it. It's very exciting indeed and in my opinion a more sporting hunt in areas such as mentioned in the article.

It's never a good idea to generalise about anything in Africa but at the risk of doing just that:-

These are basically park Elephants & they're very habituated to vehicles and to a lesser extent to people on foot. If you hunt them with a rifle they'll obviously stand and look at you until you get close to their flight zone (which is small because they're park Elephants) and at that range they're easily shootable. To dart them you have to cross their sight zone & their flight zone unnoticed and then get into their fight zone which is not so easy and not so safe.....There's a BIG difference between the normal behaviour of a park Elephant compared to an Elephant that lives in a True Wilderness Area.

As to cost, you can about double the price mentioned for a good quality camp and area and a properly managed dart hunt. A large part of that cost goes to insurance policies, having a chopper on standby for the duration of the hunt in case you lose track of the darted animal (for example if an Elephant goes down on his chest he dies very quickly) and having the animal monitored for about 3 days or so after the hunt, in case of any problems........

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (02/07/05 09:12 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Green elephant hunting" [Re: shakari]
      #34221 - 02/07/05 09:33 PM

A couple of websites:

http://www.timbavati.co.za/

http://www.eco-hunt.co.za/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #34224 - 02/07/05 09:56 PM

FWIW, there's some good deals on Rhino dart hunts in KZN at the moment as they all now all have to be chipped by law and the landowners would prefer to sell the dart hunts rather than do it themselves. One particular deal I've been offered is buy one get one free!.....which although it sounds a bit silly is a good idea. While you're paying for a chopper (etc) for one you might as well use it for two.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: "Green elephant hunting" [Re: shakari]
      #34237 - 03/07/05 12:35 AM

Steve, if you pay for the first one, I'll take the second one off your hands.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Green elephant hunting" [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #34322 - 04/07/05 11:05 PM

Another news article

Timbavati hits back at UDM
14/03/2005 12:59 - (SA)

Cape Town - The Timbavati Private Nature Reserve (TPNR) has rallied against comments by United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa that the commercial hunting of game in the TPNR that roams from the Kruger National Park (KNP) constitutes a "major threat to a national environmental asset."

In an open letter to Limpopo environment and tourism MEC Ohm Chabane on March 10, Holomisa asserted that since the removal of fences between the KNP and TPNR, the commercial hunting of roaming game constitutes "the destruction of a national asset for the commercial gain of private institution, and the pleasure of a select group of rich hunters."

TPNR chairperson Thomas Hancock on Monday responded, "Bantu Holomisa shows an ignorance of the common law and legislation governing sustainable utilisation of natural resources in South Africa."

Hancock asserted that all hunting practises in the TNPR are, in fact, legal and governed by state legislation through the issuing of permits.

"It would appear that Mr Holomisa has not read the agreement between the National Parks Board and the Timbavati," said Hancock.

"The agreement in no way prohibits commercial hunting within the Timbavati. Furthermore, the Timbavati's own constitution specifically allows the association to conduct commercial hunting.

He added that the TPNR felt Holomisa's statements were "defamatory" and that the organisation is considering legal action against Holomisa.

"He's welcome to take legal action against us, but there will be no apology," Holomisa told News24.

"After being approached by citizens, and as a public representative, I have a right to ask the ministers concerned to investigate the matter."

Holomisa asked what gave the TPNR the right to "mow down those animals", asking, "Is that the policy of our new government?"

"If they want to lecture us on legal understanding, show us the document that was drawn up after the fence was taken down, saying they're allowed to kill those animals. That's what we want from them."

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1676136,00.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #34326 - 05/07/05 01:05 AM

Why not shoot them with a paintball gun instead of a dart?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1946

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com