Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I bought another 416 Rigby by accident -but it turned out OK

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
I bought another 416 Rigby by accident -but it turned out OK
      #342069 - 10/06/20 11:37 AM

I bought another 416 Rigby by accident - Oh well, it turned out to be a great deal after all.

Hello All,

Originally posted on another forum, but thought to share the story here also.

As you may have seen many of my posts in the past, I'm always looking for Brevex rifles. One day last month I saw this auction listing where they had mistakenly listed this rifle as Belgium Mauser chambered in an UNKNOWN 416 belted cartridge. They later added a correction that it was a BREVEX, not a Mauser.

The Auction had an opening bid of $2000. I tagged the rifle with that opening bid because I was gong to watch the auction LIVE on proxibid, and I was prepared to bid much higher. I was intrigued by the UNKNOWN 416 belted cartridge designation thinking there were only 3 possible cartridges that it could be. The 416 Taylor, the 416 Rem Mag, and the 416 Weatherby Mag. I dismissed the Taylor thinking why would someone use a Magnum Brevex action for such a short cartridge. I guesses it had to be one of the other 2, and that would be great.

Well, come auction day .... no one bid. It stayed right at that opening bid.

When the rifle arrived today, I looked at the bolt face and it was BIG. I figured I snagged a 416 Weatherby. I tested it with a 416 Weatherby Mag cartridge - - the bolt wouldn't fully close, so, I did a chamber cast. Much to my surprise - NO BELT ... It turned out to be a straight-up 416 Rigby - one of my favorite cartridges. This rifle makes number seven chambered in 416 Rigby - and number 10 in Brevex rifles.

And take a look at what I got ! ... WOW ... WOW ... I can't believe no one else bid on this... it must have been that "UNKNOWN" stigma that frightened away all the other possible bidders. .. and by-the-way .... it turns out this rifle is UNFIRED ...

When I removed the barrelled action from the stock, I found that the bottom of the action was covered in black soot from the stock in-letting, and there was a lot of gummy release agent from when the rifle was fully glass bedded. Only when I took the first pictures did the camera flash show that there was something scratched on the action bottom. I scrubbed the bottom to clean it, but without the camera flash, it was still hard to see the engraving. These Brevex actions are super hard and the engraving is very light.

The Good News for me was .. the auction house "looker" must have had very bad eye sight. He saw a "Belt" in the chamber, that wasn't there, and didn't see the caliber marking, that was.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: buckstix]
      #342071 - 10/06/20 11:51 AM

Holy Crap!

How good is that.

No point buying Lotto tickets for the rest of your life Buckstix, your lifetime supply of good luck is done!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
      #342072 - 10/06/20 11:51 AM

Nice gun and a dam good buy.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: Wayne59]
      #342074 - 10/06/20 11:58 AM

Quite a "find" indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: DarylS]
      #342079 - 10/06/20 05:41 PM

Out of interest, what would you have been willing to pay for it?

What is the value of such a Brevex rifle?

I see the range was estimated as $4000 to $6000.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: NitroX]
      #342085 - 10/06/20 10:31 PM

Buckstix you are one luck sod!
Half your luck pulling off a coup like that - bloody awesome matey!
Would love to see what it can do, what loads etc that you'll cook up.
Now that it has a proper history & caliber - it's value has jumped remarkably.
Well done once again
93x64mm

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: 93x64mm]
      #342087 - 10/06/20 10:38 PM

Nice looking rifle and in a fantastic caliber.. .416 of pretty much anything is good...

Congrats..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

buckstix
.400 member

Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: Ripp]
      #342090 - 10/06/20 11:08 PM

Quote:

Holy Crap!

How good is that.

No point buying Lotto tickets for the rest of your life Buckstix, your lifetime supply of good luck is done!

Hello Marrakai,
Thanks for the reply.

I still buy Lottery Tickets once in a while.

Quote:

Nice gun and a dam good buy.

Hello Wayne59,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, thats why I'm happy to share the story. Keeps people up-beat in these trying times.

Quote:

Quite a "find" indeed.

Hello Daryl_S,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I really didn't need another Rigby, but glad I got this one.

Quote:

Out of interest, what would you have been willing to pay for it?

What is the value of such a Brevex rifle?

I see the range was estimated as $4000 to $6000.

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure how high I might have bid. It depends a lot on how I feel at the time. Although Electronic participation is different than being there at the auction, one can still get wound-up with bidding enthusiasm. I think their estimate of value was spot-on.

Quote:

Buckstix you are one luck sod!
Half your luck pulling off a coup like that - bloody awesome matey!
Would love to see what it can do, what loads etc that you'll cook up.
Now that it has a proper history & caliber - it's value has jumped remarkably.
Well done once again
93x64mm

Hello 93x64mm,
Thanks for the reply.

I'll be shooting it this weekend with some of my pet loads.

Quote:

Nice looking rifle and in a fantastic caliber.. .416 of pretty much anything is good...

Congrats..

Hello Ripp,
Thanks for the reply.

I think 416 caliber is my favorite caliber, and I must admit I love the 416 Rigby caliber the most. It has its roots in Old World Big Game Hunting on the Dark Continent. I would have liked if this rifle turned out to be a 416 Weatherby Mag, because I don't have a rifle in that caliber - YET. I have 2 rifles in 416 Taylor, 1 rifle in 416 Hoffman, 1 rifle in 416 MRE, and now 7 rifles in 416 Rigby caliber. (I sold-off my 416 Rem Mag - didn't like it all that much because its a "too new" caliber)

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #342123 - 11/06/20 09:29 PM

Buckstix That is one good pick up. Well done. I to have a soft spot for the 416 Rigby.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: Rule303]
      #342138 - 12/06/20 12:39 AM

Quote:

Buckstix That is one good pick up. Well done. I to have a soft spot for the 416 Rigby.

Hello Rule303,
Thanks for the reply.

Me too.

My seven 416 Rigbys.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

#342194 - 12/06/20 10:48 PM

I actually like the look of the Ruger best of all the one above - splitting hairs I know; but just my humble opinion only!
Would be one hell of a decision taking which one fist Buckstix!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: I bought another 416 by accident - Oh well, it turned out OK [Re: 93x64mm]
      #342198 - 12/06/20 11:37 PM

You need an original Rigby.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

buckstix
.400 member

#342204 - 13/06/20 12:52 AM

Hello 93x64mm,
Thanks for the reply.

I think I like the Custom 416 Rigby built by Nate Bishop the best, and its my favorite. This was the gun that Nate built in 1987 that he submitted to the Judges of American Custom Gunmakers Guild, that proved his ability and led to his introduction into the ACGG.

here's the link about that rifle from 4 years ago.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=bigbores&Number=276373

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.

I think the total I paid for all 7 of these 416 rifles, would be less that what it would cost for a single Original 416 Rigby rifle. My second most favorite 416 is the Custom built by Ernie Atkinson. It is in the style of an original 416 Rigby, and is probably the closest I'll ever come to owning one.

here's the link about that rifle from 6 years ago

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=bigbores&Number=256069

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #342312 - 15/06/20 01:49 AM

hello buckstix
good to see you here, congratulations to your latest deal! auctions with vague descriptions and bad pics can be allways sleeper.

some times ago I send you a pm about your haenel in 10,75x68. did you see this?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#342357 - 15/06/20 05:41 PM

Quote:

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.

I think the total I paid for all 7 of these 416 rifles, would be less that what it would cost for a single Original 416 Rigby rifle. My second most favorite 416 is the Custom built by Ernie Atkinson. It is in the style of an original 416 Rigby, and is probably the closest I'll ever come to owning one.

here's the link about that rifle from 6 years ago

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=bigbores&Number=256069

Well there is that! The wallet! One can forget about that when BSing on the internet.

I remember a phone discussion with a member when people were busy criticising the current Rigby offering of the "Big Game Rifle" when it came out. "Why it wasn't exactly like the "vintage" Rigby?" Talking to this knowledgeable member, and he mentioned his vintage Rigby he bought some time ago for over twice the price of a new Big Game Rifle. That says something ...

Out of all your rifles, I do like the "E. Atkinson" rifle the best in looks. I agree with the other member, the Ruger has nice modern "vintage" styling as well. Some of the rifles I don't care for, just my preferences.

Thanks for the link to your previous threads. I will have a good look at the "E. Atkinson" .416 Rigby thread.

Good to re-open some old threads and for new people to see them as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

buckstix
.400 member

#342388 - 16/06/20 05:06 AM

Quote:

hello buckstix
good to see you here, congratulations to your latest deal! auctions with vague descriptions and bad pics can be allways sleeper.

some times ago I send you a pm about your haenel in 10,75x68. did you see this?

Hello lanchaster,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did remember seeing the link you sent. I'm sorry for not acknowledging it. It was most interesting.

Quote:

Well there is that! The wallet! One can forget about that when BSing on the internet.

I remember a phone discussion with a member when people were busy criticising the current Rigby offering of the "Big Game Rifle" when it came out. "Why it wasn't exactly like the "vintage" Rigby?" Talking to this knowledgeable member, and he mentioned his vintage Rigby he bought some time ago for over twice the price of a new Big Game Rifle. That says something ...

Out of all your rifles, I do like the "E. Atkinson" rifle the best in looks. I agree with the other member, the Ruger has nice modern "vintage" styling as well. Some of the rifles I don't care for, just my preferences.

Thanks for the link to your previous threads. I will have a good look at the "E. Atkinson" .416 Rigby thread.

Good to re-open some old threads and for new people to see them as well.

Hello NitroX,
Thanks for the reply.

You may recall, this old thread from 3 years ago. I do have "one" original Rigby ... with documentation from the Factory. Its a real treasure as you will see from within the post.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=MediumBores&Number=303345

I'm going to do a range report in my next addition to this post. I had an accident with this 416 accidental purchase.

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

* update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: buckstix]
      #342389 - 16/06/20 05:20 AM

Hello All,

Here's an update ..... I took the newly acquired rifle to the range for a test run, and I had an accident with it.

I was convinced the rifle was un-fired, and a trip to the range has confirmed this. First thing I noticed is that none of the rear sight blades were notched.

What happened next is a lesson learned, and one I will share in hopes that it might prevent someone from having a similar accident.

I loaded the rifle 4-down & 1 up and pulled the safety to the rear which put the rifle on SAFE. I pulled the trigger to ensure the safety works, which it did no problem. However, as I brought the gun up getting ready to shoot - I flipped off the safety .... and .... THE GUN FIRED without touching the trigger. HOLY CRAP ! ! !

The rifle was loaded with 400g soft point Federal Factory ammo which I had previously chronographed at 2400 fps. That's 68 ft/lbs recoil. The unexpected discharge of the "off-shoulder" rifle recoiled violently and flew out of my hands. The free recoil resulted in my trigger finger slamming into the floor-plate release button - which opened the magazine and threw the contents onto the bench and concrete. The floor plate release button cut into my finger at the first knuckle, and the side of the trigger guard cut into my finger ahead of the second knuckle. The back of the trigger guard slammed into my middle finger which was severely sprained and started swelling quickly.

When all this happened, the gun was not yet against my shoulder, it was slightly above waist level. The recoil spun me around and the rifle flew out of my hands. Fortunately as I turned, I grabbed and caught the rifle by the muzzle about the same time as the recoil pad hit the concrete. The violent recoil slammed the side of the rifle into the cell phone which was in my right hand shirt pocket. The phone was smashed into pieces. The telltale signs of the cell phone impact are now permanently visible in the side of the stock, which if you look at my earlier pictures, you will see was previously unmarked.

I did a little first aid with my anti-virus hand sanitizer, and good old duct tape. This allowed me to test fire a few more rounds - by single loading without touching the safety. Sighting the front bead over the un-notched standing leaf rear sight blade, placed the bullets 10-1/2" high at 25 yards. A little mathematics with the calculator indicated the blade would require a .19 inch deep notch to be zero sighted point-blank at 50 yards.

When I arrived back home, I investigated the problem. It didn't take me long to discover that the safety was not the issue - it was the trigger. The rear-tip of the trigger was rubbing against the inside of the bottom of the trigger guard bow. When the trigger was pulled back - it stayed stuck-back inside the trigger guard. It stands to reason that this is what happened at the range. When I put the gun on safe and tested the trigger, it stayed "back" in the trigger guard, as if "pre-pulled" which left the sear disengaged. The only thing holding back the firing pin was the safety. Consequently, flipping the safety off, released the firing pin, and fired the rifle.

This was an easy fix. I removed about 1/32 of an inch off the rear-tip of the trigger so it is free to move without touching the trigger guard. Even with my 55 years of shooting experience, and hundreds of thousands of rounds fired, my lesson learned from this is: "When checking the safety on a new rifle for the first time, do it at home with an empty gun, not at the range with a loaded gun." The marks on the rifle will remind me of this every time I take it to the range.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: * update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: buckstix]
      #342390 - 16/06/20 06:24 AM

Nasty occurrence buckstix. Too bad about the phone, too.
Nasty. Glad you solved it, even if too late to stop the accident.
The gun damage could have been much worse, though, so - Nice grab!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: * update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: DarylS]
      #342403 - 16/06/20 05:19 PM

Such occurrences can unfortunately happen to anyone, whatever the amount of personal experience is; glad that the only "serious" damage was on the mobile phone!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: * update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: Louis]
      #342406 - 16/06/20 07:47 PM

CNN: "Cell phone saves man from accidental shooting."

When I read the title I was thinking it had blown up. Glad it is some minor stuff only.

Yep test triggers and safeties have all sorts of flaws. Bang a lot of guns down on the butt, cocked but with safety on, and the gun will fire. Test this without being loaded.

Nice .275 Rigby. When I was in Darwin with Curl a number of the guys at Marrakai's house had Rigby or Jeffery 275's and the rifles were so sleek and beautiful. I would love one one day or a modern custom built equivalent.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: * update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: NitroX]
      #342420 - 16/06/20 09:56 PM

Well Buckstix I'm glad that it was only your pride that got hurt, apart from a painful rap on the knuckles it's good to know that you (& rifle) are OK!
Good to see that you have 'cured' the problem & sorted out the sighting issue.
Very wise words for us all to check next time we're at the range.
Fantastic reflexes by the way!

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: * update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: 93x64mm]
      #342433 - 17/06/20 01:07 AM

another lesson in safety
thanks for the reminder on your costs to become never to self confident when handling guns

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: * update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: lancaster]
      #342447 - 17/06/20 08:25 AM

BUGGER!

Glad to hear you are basically OK Buckstix!

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: * update * RANGE ACCIDENT with the 416 I bought by accident [Re: lancaster]
      #342448 - 17/06/20 08:42 AM

You where blessed lucky young man.

I had a similar occurrence with a shotgun. My dad handed me the shotgun, I shouldered and pulled the trigger, nothing. i brought the shotgun butt down to waist, muzzle up, as I was turning towards my dad I saw the cross bar safety was on. Pushed it off and the shotgun discharged. I am glad I still had the muzzle elevated and didn't shoot/kill my dad. I was blessed lucky that day as you where with your rifle buckstix.

Your hand will heal and the injuries will only be a memory. If you choose the cosmetic damage to your rifle can be repaired or, perhaps, you will leave it as is bring the memory forward from time to time.

Vlad

P.S. I did replace worn parts in the shotgun safety to correct the problem. The shotgun is nothing special to anyone else but it was my grandpas so it is special to me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6443

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com