Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Gaur of Asia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The Gaur of Asia
      #342038 - 10/06/20 01:16 AM

The magnificent Gaur of Asia. Blacker than Black Death. Like a Cape Buffalo on steroids.

Admittedly these are some pretty tame unhunted examples wandering around down streets and roads. Un-hunted except by tigers in the park, who love some wild beef.

In their jungle hideouts in the parks, they are quite elusive. I tried to photograph them on my visit, and usually they were only seen at sunrise or sunset and often it was too dark for good photography. Or the jungle too thick. Or the guides too unprofessional and hopeless ... have to go back and try again.

https://www.facebook.com/BiggestBullsOTW/videos/865293110626905/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: The Gaur of Asia [Re: NitroX]
      #342041 - 10/06/20 01:47 AM

The gaur looks peaceful in the videos I`ve seen. A majestic animal. Hunting them in the jungle would be a challenge. In the hunting books I have on India/asia these gaur bulls wasn`t aggressive like the african Cape buff. Often when these bulls had taken a few 8bore balls into torso they would run and the hunters would run after them.

Edited by rigbymauser (10/06/20 01:48 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Gaur of Asia [Re: rigbymauser]
      #342043 - 10/06/20 01:52 AM

Huge!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Gaur of Asia [Re: rigbymauser]
      #342077 - 10/06/20 05:35 PM

Quote:

The gaur looks peaceful in the videos I`ve seen. A majestic animal. Hunting them in the jungle would be a challenge. In the hunting books I have on India/asia these gaur bulls wasn`t aggressive like the african Cape buff. Often when these bulls had taken a few 8bore balls into torso they would run and the hunters would run after them.

Interestingly, I've had the opposite readings.

The first ever time I "encountered" gaur, in print form, was an extremely dramatic and unfortunate encounter with gaur. FROM MEMORY and it was a long time ago, the gentleman was hunting with several trackers/natives, and using a I think a 12-bore double rifle. On shooting the gaur with both cartridges, before he could reload, the gaur flipped him into the air. And continued to do so, again and aagin. I believe it also molested some of the natives trying to intervene. The European hunter did not survive.

Gaur have the reputation of being very testy in the jungle.

Even banteng have this reputation.

Just because the video shows a animal walking down a street unconcerned has zero credibility on how a gaur would act if wild, if hunted, if wounded, if encountered at close range in thick jungle. I would be pretty sure the gaur in the video is being hand fed. Maybe even at a temple. Holy Cow!

As for cape buffalo, not wanting to upset anyone, but its danger value is inflated to sell hunts. "Black Death"!!!! 'Death at my feet!!!" "Sudden Death!!!" "He looked at me as if I owed his money!!!"

I have had PHs on photo visits trying to talk about the danger value. I told them to fuck off. And they grinned. Photographing cape buffalo herds in over the head high grass by climbing termite mounds.

Now when I was staying in a cottage in Zambia on the Zambezi banks while at dinner, we had a buffalo herd move in right around us among the buildings. The dinner hut was hjust a concrete floor and a thatched roof. Wild murderous buffalo feeding 25 feet away from us. The main worry in this camp was an insane elephant, which used to harass people, chasing them around, but so far had never caught anyone.

I will say in this camp, a hundred metre walk along a winding path in thick bush was a bit more of a worry. What would happen if one came around a corner and bumped into a cape buff?

Any bovine can be dangerous, and bulls grumpy because they are bulls. From my reading, usually adverse encounters with cape buffalo usually have a reason. Gored by another buff. Wounded by lion. Or the most usual reason, wounded by the client hunter or another person.

I have had water buffalo get grumpy for no apparent reason. Out of about 19 water buffalo, the first was mean and angry. The last charged. My experience with cape buffalo is limited to hunting among them several times, and several none hunting trips. Only every shot one. Cape buffalo have a deserved reputation for toughness and danger especially when wounded. Banteng have somewhat a reputation for charging. Have never seen that. Or even read that. But from the guys hunting them with clients, that was the word. Gaur similar in history. Great pity they can not be hunted. It would be wonderful if some could be bred somewhere away from the SE Asian locust races. Or India allow hunting. Gaur suffer from being eaten by tigers however. The worst meanest most likely to charge bovine? Scrub bulls in my opinion. Have had more encounters with them when at close range, more than half the times the scrub bulls have been aggressive.

Just my opinions.

Lastly as Gaur are often in thick jungle at close range, the danger factor is higher, than if shooting a bovine in savannah at a reasonable distance.

PS I wish I remembered what that book was. In might have been in SE Asia, Malaya(?), and not India.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Gaur of Asia [Re: NitroX]
      #342100 - 11/06/20 02:16 AM

Good info, tks. John.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1855

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com