Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Paradox questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Paradox questions
      #341847 - 07/06/20 09:04 AM

Im new to Paradox guns and Im struggling with a few questions. Ive been hunting with double rifles for years; but I haven jumped into a Paradox yet. I'll probably be using my Paradox for medium game, mostly Wild Boar and possibly Whitetail.

I think Im looking for a 10 or 12ga. Ive seen some loaded ammo; but Im open to reloading with BP (or substitutes) or smokeless. Most of the factory loaded rounds are conical, with some round ball; but Ive also seen references to three ball loads.

Ive seen barrels from 22" to 30+ inches. Is there and optimum length? Something around 24-26" seems good to my novice eye.

Is there a standard "zero" range for Paradox guns? My typical hunting range is 100yrds or (preferably) less

Im at the point where I think I know...but Im not sure what I dont know. Im sure this may sound naïve to you experienced guys. So Im open to learning--thanks

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Paradox questions [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #341861 - 07/06/20 01:03 PM

I agree a 24" to 26" would be all that is necessary and a 12 bore would work fine.
I personally would prefer a round ball gun, as a .730" (583gr.) to .740" (620gr.) ball has all the weight necessary and higher vel.
than the heavier conical- for hunting the animals you mention.
Higher velocity means flatter trajectory and a longer point blank range. This becomes important past 75yards or so.
A 5 dram (136gr/) to 7 dram (190gr.) loads will cover quite nicely and produce 300 to 500fps higher vel. than typical Paradox bulleted
loads. Will they shoot in a Paradox rifle?
I don't know the answer to that question.

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Paradox questions [Re: DarylS]
      #341868 - 07/06/20 01:32 PM

Edelweiss - are you actually seeing many paradox guns on the market?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Paradox questions [Re: tinker]
      #341893 - 08/06/20 12:06 AM

Thanks Daryl

Quote:

Edelweiss - are you actually seeing many paradox guns on the market?

Sadly no; but Im hopeful the right one at the right price will pop up at the right time. Ive been keeping my eyes open. It all started when I picked up a Cape Gun (12 x 38-55) and talked to the owner of a 12 x 577-450. THAT one would have been perfect for my desires. I already hunt with Martinis and a Gehendra in 577-450. Unfortunately we couldnt come to together on a price; but he was a gentleman, so we parted on good terms.

IF worst comes to worst I might try cobbling something together; but just like when I tried that route for double rifles I wont be satisfied, no matter how good it performs.

I ran into a company called ARIA Ballistics who claim they are having good results modifying shotguns (with and without rifled chokes). I had a good conversation with the owner and he seems to know what hes talking about. As a start I ordered some of their loaded ammo and components.

Ive read all I can find on the subject, which has only made me want one (a few) more. So for now Im still confused and still searching

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#341898 - 08/06/20 01:01 AM

Any ideas on a regulation point?

--------------------

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #341901 - 08/06/20 01:07 AM

A quick look at their website, at the gallery for the paradox guns, I see smooth bore shotguns with rifle sights and optics mounts.

A dude can make specialty ammunition and regulate a smooth bore gun for that ammunition, but that doesn't make it a paradox gun.

I've seen this fellow's marketing flash once or twice in the last year or so, but otherwise I'd never heard of him before and I don't know where he's coming from. At the very least it looks like he's modifying old shotguns and he's loading bullets in long brass cases.

Quote:

So for now Im still confused and still searching

I can see how that might be confusing.

Also.
There is no "regulation point"
Properly regulated SxS rifles send their groups out in parallel trajectories.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1855

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com