Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The .375, the real all rounder

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The .375, the real all rounder
      #341661 - 03/06/20 08:03 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/12/9/behind-the-bullet-375-hh-magnum/

Behind the Bullet: .375 H&H Magnum
by Philip Massaro - Friday, December 9, 2016

Behind the Bullet: .375 H&H Magnum

I wonder if the designers at Holland & Holland knew what they had when they released their .375 Belted Rimless Magnum in 1912. It was a volatile time in cartridge development history, with major players like the .30-’06 Springfield, the .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, .470 Nitro Express and the .318 Westley Richards emerging on the scene within the previous decade. Holland & Holland was working on what the British then called a medium-bore, but would end up being the most useful cartridge ever invented, at least in the opinion of this author.

The .375 H&H—as it’s more commonly known—wasn’t the first cartridge to use that belt of brass for positive headspacing; and earlier H&H development called the Velopex, which used the same diameter bullets, but at a lesser speed. It did, however, go on to become the African standard; it is well known across that continent that when in doubt, you reach for a .375 H&H. That belt solved a couple of problems: one, it allowed for smooth feeding from a box magazine due to the absence of a rim, and two, it allowed the cartridge to use a low-angle shoulder, yet still headspace properly, almost like a rimmed cartridge. A wide case head gave plenty of area for extraction, an important feature in the heat of the tropics.

The original loadings used 235-, 270- and 300-grain bullets, at muzzle velocities of 2,800, 2,650 and 2,500 fps respectively. While the lighter bullets worked perfectly for medium game at a variety of ranges, those 300-grain slugs, with a Sectional Density of 0.305, made for a solid choice for all game, including elephant. Many Professional Hunters have told me that there are few bullets that penetrate as deeply as a 300-grain .375, and the modern developments in bullet technology have done nothing but improve the performance of this classic. John Taylor, in his African Rifles and Cartridges, had nothing but praise for the .375 H&H; in his opinion it was one of the very few ‘universal’ cartridges and I have to agree with him. It will work for the heavyweights, like the elephant, though I personally feel there are better choices, but it is a great cartridge for buffalo on any continent, and absolutely shines as a bear cartridge, regardless of color or species. With the lighter bullets, especially in the spitzer boat tail configuration, it actually makes a decent long range hunting cartridge, giving a trajectory very similar to the .30-’06, with almost twice the horsepower. Modern bullet companies have expanded the range of useful projectiles, with some of the lighter monometals weighing 200 or 210 grains, and some heavier bullets, like Woodleigh’s Weldcore, tipping the scales at 350 grains.

Yet, in spite of the heavy bullets and decent velocities, the .375 H&H has one of the most important attributes in a big bore rifle: it is relatively easy on the shoulder. The recoil of a .375 H&H is more than a .30-‘06, for certain, but off the bench I actually prefer to shoot the .375 H&H over some of the .338 Win. Mag. loads; and certainly much more than the .458 Magnums.

With this cartridge, I’ve taken animals ranging from the 25-pound steenbok and dainty springbok, all the way up to bison and eland, each weighing so close to a ton it’d scare you, with several species in between. I’ve used it at 30 yards—where it worked just fine, I'm happy to report—and I've used it past 400 yards, which I don’t necessarily want to do again. At both ends of the spectrum, it worked just fine, and that is exactly why I feel the .375 H&H is the most versatile cartridge ever developed: no matter what you point it at, it dies. Few cartridges can make that claim.

I’ve got several loads that I use regularly, and they all serve different purposes. The Cutting Edge Raptor, at 230 grains, prints subMOA at 2,800 fps, and makes a good bullet for African plains game. It has taken kudu, zebra, wildebeest, warthog and whitetail, and all have been one-shot kills. My own .375 H&H absolutely loves the Nosler 260-grain AccuBond, at 2,750 fps, as well as the 300-grain Swift A-Frame leaving the muzzle at 2,505 fps. The latter load has accounted for all kinds of game across Africa and North America. If you like the heavier choices, check out the Norma African PH load, using that 350-grain Woodleigh at 2,300 fps. It’s got all sorts of Sectional Density, and will give just a bit more when hunting Cape buffalo and Kodiak bears.

There have been some modern twists on the formula, like the .375 Ruger, and some hotter variants, like the .378 Weatherby and .375 Rem. Ultra Mag., but my favorite remains the H&H case, after all it did go on to inspire an entire generation of magnum cartridges, long, short and in-between. Without the H&H case, we’d have no .300 Win. Mag., no 7mm Rem. Mag. (though H&H did release a .275 Magnum that didn’t catch on, the same year as its big brother), and no Weatherby cartridges.

The .375 bore is the legal minimum for dangerous game in many African countries, and with good reason: it generates just over 4,000 ft.-lbs. of energy at the muzzle, and offers a bullet with enough Sectional Density to get the job done, and done well. For over a century, the .375 H&H has been routinely, consistently and reliably making happy hunters, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it did so for another century.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The .375, the real all rounder [Re: NitroX]
      #341672 - 04/06/20 12:21 AM

Truly is a great all around caliber choice for Africa.. used one on my last trip to Cameroon.. did the job on everything I shot.. no flies in the ointment on this one..

BTW John,
The author of this story is the same one I post as well.. you know, the one you give me grief about most of the time..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The .375, the real all rounder [Re: Ripp]
      #341676 - 04/06/20 02:00 AM

Quote:

BTW John,
The author of this story is the same one I post as well.. you know, the one you give me grief about most of the time..

Ha ha, yes Phil Massaro is a facebook friend of mine as well.

He probably visits here as well.

15 reasons I annoy Phil

Ha ha.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The .375, the real all rounder [Re: NitroX]
      #341680 - 04/06/20 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

BTW John,

Ha ha, yes Phil Massaro is a facebook friend of mine as well.

He probably visits here as well.

15 reasons I annoy Phil

Ha ha.

That's pretty cool actually
I enjoy reading a lot of his articles.. so, good to know

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The .375, the real all rounder [Re: Ripp]
      #341691 - 04/06/20 08:16 AM

.375 has been a good calibre. I've had 2 of the magnums and 2 .376/06IMPs as well. Currently, still have one of the .375/'06IMP's.

The smaller cased ones follow the big one's commonality, that of different bullet weights striking closely together at 100yards/meters.
Arguably, one of it's best features. For mine, hand held, from the bench & with 300 point on, the 270's strike 1" above centre and the 235's,
another inch higher, all in line and all 1" individual groups or smaller.

All 4 have about done this well.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: The .375, the real all rounder [Re: DarylS]
      #341878 - 07/06/20 06:57 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing NitroX.

Everybody needs at least One .375!

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Don
.275 member

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: California
Re: The .375, the real all rounder [Re: Homer]
      #342458 - 17/06/20 11:57 AM

Yes, a great cartridge. I have one in a Kimber Caprivi and I use Nosler 260 Accubond and Partition

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4732

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com