Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem
      #341307 - 24/05/20 01:48 AM

The full Valmet/Tikka 512SD shooting system. In my case,a Tikka 512SD with the 12-bore and .223 barrel in place. Next a set of 12-bore/7x65R barrels. A double rifle set of U/O 9.3x74R barrels, and a set of DR barrels in .30-06. Lastly U/O 12-bore barrels. .

One could hunt almost anything anywhere with these.

A dream I have had since 1982, to own a combination rifle/shotgun in 12-bore and a .22 centrefire finally realised.

I have had this shooting system for many years, originally in 12-bore Under and Over and a second barrel set in 9.3x74R Under and Over, in a Tikka 512SD shooting system. The Tikka 512SD was earlier the Valmet 412 and since then the Finnclassic. Now discontinued.

Later I added three more barrel sets, a 12-bore/.223 Rem; a 12-bore/7x65R; and a .30-06/.30-06. These barrels need final fitting by a gunsmith. This was done.

I have used the 12-bore U/O a lot and the 9.3x74R U/O has travelled with me to Zimbabwe, Namibia and South Africa, as well as the Northern Territory. I have shot warthog, antelope, numerous water buffalo with it, scrub bulls, horses, donkeys and pigs.

But since 1982 I have wanted to have a 12-bore and .22 centrefire for use on the farm. For rabbits, foxes, hares, birds such as ducks, pigeons and whatever, taking the dog for a walk and shooting whatever I chance upon. I read an article by a fellow Adelaidian deer hunter way back then, and thought one would be very useful. His was a Tiikka M07. There was a more expensive Tikka 77K (?) back then. The Valmet is a much better system.

Previously I was not happy with the sighting options. The QD mounts are not really QD, not quick. I wil have I think a custom lever added to the mounts allowing them to be unscrewed more quickly than the current knob requiring a coin.

Secondly I like a .22 centrefire to have a scope with 8x or 6x as a minimum. However if using any shotgun with a scope, which I was unsure of at all, 1x or 1.5x is the only option I would consider.

So I decided to compromise on a 1-4x Leupol. It is also lighter weight and smaller than some bulky big German 30 or 35mm tubed 1-6x or 1-8x. Way too heavy up top.

Giving a Leipold 1-4x a go I was more than surprised. It may not be ideal for head shooting rabbits at 200 metres, time will tell. But during the test shoots at 50 metres shot finely.

Even more surprising, it worked well with the shotgun. Easy to shoot static clays. I managed to give it a go with the clay thrower and hit a fair number. In the first go I did not make it too demanding.

Overall fairly pleased. Happy with the results. Next will be seeing how it goes on bunnies.

Not a beautiful combination gun but a very versatile shooting system overall and very accurate.

First up, try out the shotgun barrel. With the 1x scope. Four clays all destroyed thoroughly at ranges from 15 m, 35 m and 50 m. Powdered. I think it is tightly chocked. It is a fixed choke.

At 50 m.

Bore sighting is easy. Remove the whole barrels. My sidekick Blitzen is helping.

My sophisticated target, a beer carton with some stickers.
A nice three shot group, 50 m, but about seven or eight inches high.

Work in progress.

End result, upper right sticker. Close enough for now. I wasn't shooting too carefully, quite quickly, as it was threatening to rain. Will give it a try at 100 metres another time, but first perhaps some rabbits. Managed to hit the clays off hand at 50 metres. A problem is a .22 often does not break them just punches a hole.

What the hell, why not get the clay target thrower going and give it a try on flying clays. After three flat batteries, it left the Landcruiser's batteries to be brought into action.

Did not push it, just shot behind the thrower. But hit a respectable number of clays. The 1x scope for down the line type flights was very manageale. Will see if I can improve on crossing flights. Sometimes I did very much see the reticle. I keep both eyes open. Other times it was invisible and I did not consciously use it.

Very happy with the results. First time using a scope with a shotgun. I do miss a second barrel sometimes.

I did not shoot any video. It was a spur of the moment thing.

I have a second 1-4x Leupold for the 7x65R. A friend who owns a local gunshop is ordering me Sellier & Bellot 7x65R ammo, 173 gr SP I think. At a bank breaking price, for 200 rounds.

That should keep those barrels shooting for a long tme as well. Once setup I would love to do a mixed pig hunt somewhere.

Lastly the .30-06/.30-06 set of double rifle barrels. I could use existing .30-06 ammo in it. In the longer term, I would like to consider having those barrels re-chambered for .30 Super Flanged, or .300 H&H Flanged. Something more exotic, if a little impractical for ammo. Which can be overcome easily with handloads.

My 9.3x74R shoots two single hole groups at 100 metres, with 3 shots each from each barrel. I have regulated the barrels to shot approx one inch apart, similar to the barrel spacing. This system is very accurate. .

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (07/12/23 06:28 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: NitroX]
      #341308 - 24/05/20 02:13 AM

Quote:

I wil have I think a custom lever added to the mounts allowing them to be unscrewed more quickly than the current knob requiring a coin.

German RECKNAGEL makes much faster and better scope mounts for yours need:

https://www.optics-trade.eu/en/recknagel-ssk-ii-one-piece-mount-12-mm-prism-25-mm.html

Quote:

His was a Tikka M07. There was a more expensive Tikka 77K (?) back then.

Both are lighter to carry than any VALMET 412 or itīs clones and very well made. These models are very popular here in Finland and just in 12/70 and .222 Rem.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: Igorrock]
      #341309 - 24/05/20 02:43 AM

Nice John. I have a 12 bore over .222 Rem. Antonio Zoli, but haven't shot it yet. Your Tika/Valmet is a step or 2-above.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: DarylS]
      #341310 - 24/05/20 03:15 AM

Great looking set.

It's always nice to have a successful day out on the range, especially with the dog!

From the photo there appears to be a good sized gas vent for the 22 center-fire barrel.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: tinker]
      #341311 - 24/05/20 04:21 AM

Quote:

I have a 12 bore over .222 Rem. Antonio Zoli, but haven't shot it yet. Your Tika/Valmet is a step or 2-above.

Both made in Italy so Iīm not so sure.... by the way; itīs correct spelling is Tikka with double K which means Woodpecker bird. And Tikka comes from Tikkakoski which is small village in middle Finland.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#341314 - 24/05/20 09:45 AM

That's great information, thanks. My gun doesn't have the Valmet action. My old Savage trap gun from the mid 1970's did, however.
I have not even shot it yet. Will be interesting. The rifle barrel is somewhat adjustable for impact.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#341315 - 24/05/20 11:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I will have a custom lever added to the mounts allowing them to be unscrewed more quickly than the current knob requiring a coin.

German RECKNAGEL makes much faster and better scope mounts for yours need:

https://www.optics-trade.eu/en/recknagel-ssk-ii-one-piece-mount-12-mm-prism-25-mm.html

Thanks.

So that mount is usable on the Tikka 512?

Is the lever how it is removed "quickly"? After depressing the small button, the lever can be swung out?

Good to know, in case I need other sets of mounts. I think I have at least one more, maybe two more sets of mounts, in 25 mm and possibly one in 30 mm? Have to check.

I would like additional mounts, so I can have extra scopes ready in other types. Also 30 mm or 35 mm mounts.

Quote:

Quote:

His was a Tikka M07. There was a more expensive Tikka 77K (?) back then.

Both are lighter to carry than any VALMET 412 or itīs clones and very well made. These models are very popular here in Finland and just in 12/70 and .222 Rem.

I like my setup more than the M07 by far. Far nicer gun. I don't really know the other. But if only in 12-b and .222 way too limited.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#341316 - 24/05/20 11:40 AM

Quote:

Nice John. I have a 12 bore over .222 Rem. Antonio Zoli, but haven't shot it yet. Your Tika/Valmet is a step or 2-above.

Good luck with it. Should be fun.

I did want a .222 all that time, but settled on my first .223 as that was what turned up.

The barrels for this thing sell within a day of being advertised.

I bought my gun and two barrels from an A R member years and years ago from Texas. I think he may have passed on since (?).

Some barrels from luv2safari here on NE.

Maybe a barrel (or not) here in Australia.

I used to see say a shotgun being sold once or twice. One time for $1100 for the gun with shotgun barrels only. A good price. One could always try to add barrels later.

As the barrels need final fitting for a frame, my guess is you can't switch them from frame to frame without some fitting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: tinker]
      #341317 - 24/05/20 11:50 AM

Quote:

Great looking set.

It's always nice to have a successful day out on the range, especially with the dog!

From the photo there appears to be a good sized gas vent for the 22 center-fire barrel.

This range was metres from my house. The small paddock to the North of the house and backyard, with the creek/river a hundred metres or less away.

The dog likes it, yes. But always wants to stand in front. Then refuses to come to me, so I drag him back. Then he is upset or offended. And he is already deaf from age and shooting, so I like him to sit behind me

He does enjoy it. He will enjoy the walk with a gun later this afternoon if it doesn't rain too much. I hope it does rain.

This gun would be nice with a cartridge trap. But seeing all the cartridge choices, if would only suit one. So instead maybe a butt leather or synthetic cartridge carrier. For 12-b and .223. Being a single shot x 2 no magazine, and the gun can't be carried in a vehicle safely if loaded, but I want cartridges close at hand.

BTW the fired cases are very sticky coming out. I almost break my finger nails pulling them out and sometimes needed to use my leatherman.

My guess is the .223 chamber is rough? Will probably smooth with use. Or maybe a small chamber?

The combination barrels are not ejectors like the shotgun barrels.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#341318 - 24/05/20 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a 12 bore over .222 Rem. Antonio Zoli, but haven't shot it yet. Your Tika/Valmet is a step or 2-above.

Both made in Italy so Iīm not so sure.... by the way; itīs correct spelling is Tikka with double K which means Woodpecker bird. And Tikka comes from Tikkakoski which is small village in middle Finland.

As far as I know the Valmet's and Valmet barrels were made in Finland.

Some of the Tikka stuff in Finland as well. Other in Italy.

The "Finnclassic" was made pretty much in Italy, by Beretta maybe. I believe Beretta owns Tikka and Sako .

Interesting to know the woodpecker bit and the town. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagleyes
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #341330 - 24/05/20 02:24 PM

I think they are now made by Italian company Marocchi now. Tried to find an Australian dealer but hit a brick wall. Would be nice to know if they are available here.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: eagleyes]
      #341332 - 24/05/20 03:01 PM

memo to me: there is a gap in the safe between the .22 rimfire and the 6,5x57 - need a .223

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: eagleyes]
      #341334 - 24/05/20 03:05 PM

Quote:

I think they are now made by Italian company Marocchi now. Tried to find an Australian dealer but hit a brick wall. Would be nice to know if they are available here.

Herrmann's Guns claimed to be an importer or agent. But as far as I know, only operated to import after an order was made.

I don't believe they are made at all anymore. Discountinued.

Yes the Finnclassic was made by Marocchi. I forgot.

Some of my Tikka stuff for this I ordered from the USA. The dealer there had some of it sent direct from Italy, eg the little rubber "ribs", as it was illegal to send them from the USA ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: lancaster]
      #341335 - 24/05/20 03:10 PM

Quote:

memo to me: there is a gap in the safe between the .22 rimfire and the 6,5x57 - need a .223

You certainly do!

I have a .22 Magnum RF.

My first rifle was my Remington 788 in .222 Rem. Still got one.

I have a .222 Rem barrel for my Mauser M03.

I have a Martini-Cadet in .222 Rimmed.

Now I also have this combination barrel set in 12-bore and .223.

I would like a good rifle for the "Zombie Apocalsypse" in 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem. So I can use police and army ammo when the world collapses. As we can't have decent rifles in semi auto, maybe a pump action.

I would like a CZ Fox or similar in .22 Hornet.

I would like a .220 Swift.

I would love a double rifle in 5.6x50R.

Lots of gaps.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Igorrock
.400 member

#341339 - 24/05/20 04:29 PM

Quote:

These Valmet 412 clones named as "Tikka" has been made in Italy too. At that time NOKIA (same brand who later made cellphones) owned all three finnish gun brands i.e. VALMET. TIKKA and SAKO. They sold away all machines from Tikka and Valmet factory so these later shotguns and combos ordered from Italy. TIKKA M07 and M77 are much older models, from that time when TIKKA was itīs own brand.

In Finland combos with 12/.222 or .223 calibers has been quite popular among birdhunters. These old Tikkas has been designed for that purpose. VALMET 412 was the first combo designed for the whole "family" i.e. shotgun, combo and double rifle. Some older VALMET models (for example 212 used sometimes have two barrel sets i.e. shotgun and combo but these were quite rare birds.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #341341 - 24/05/20 04:35 PM

like the .222 but common sense says the .223 will win in the next hundred years

safe is full, maybe a insert barrel for the 12 gauge that does not count as another gun in the safe

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: lancaster]
      #341361 - 25/05/20 01:02 AM

The full Valmet/Tikka 512SD shooting system. In my case,a Tikka 512SD with the 12-bore and .223 barrel in place. Next a set of 12-bore/7x65R barrels. A double rifle set of U/O 9.3x74R barrels, and a set of DR barrels in .30-06. Lastly U/O 12-bore barrels. .

One could hunt almost anything anywhere with these.

Edited to add to the first post.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#341362 - 25/05/20 01:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As far as I know the Valmet's and Valmet barrels were made in Finland.

The "Finnclassic" was made pretty much in Italy, by Marocchi. I believe Beretta owns Tikka and Sako now .

Interesting to know the woodpecker bit and the town. Thanks.

The 12 b / .223 barrels, made in Finland

The .30-06/.30-06 barrels, made in Finland

The rest, the 9.3x74R U/O barrels made in Italy, the 12 b/7x65R barrels in Italy and so for the 12 b u/O barrels.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#341363 - 25/05/20 02:58 AM

The folding open rear sight on mine (Angello Zoli), is further up the rib from the breech, but has the same dovetail rib above the chamber.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #341390 - 25/05/20 10:15 PM

You will need a 'motor trunk' to have them all on safari John!
Marvelous set you have, certainly capable of taking anything that crawls, walks or flies for sure!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: 93x64mm]
      #341391 - 26/05/20 12:46 AM

These barrels have really crappy flip up rear sights. Also quite fragile.

For the double rifles I really would like to have something decent put on to replace.

For the combination barrels, I suppose better to be able to found it out of the way for the shotgun.

The aim, pun intended, is to put the other 1-4x Leupold with a German #4 reticle on the 7x65R barrel.

Possibly put a 1 1/2-6x Swaro or Zeiss scope on hand on the .223 and the 1-4x on the .30-06 DR, or vice versa. I may have reserved those scopes for something else though.

The 9.3 mm DR has a nightforce 1 1/2-5x illuminated reticle scope somewhere. Why it isn't on the barrels I can't remember and where the hell is it? It will turn up somewhere. Its reticle is some funny circle with a dot and two arrows on each side ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tikka 512SD 12-bore/.223 Rem [Re: 93x64mm]
      #341392 - 26/05/20 12:52 AM

Quote:

You will need a 'motor trunk' to have them all on safari John!
Marvelous set you have, certainly capable of taking anything that crawls, walks or flies for sure!

The Valmets used to come in a big flat case with space for the butt stock and several barrel sets.

I do have a Freedom gun box for four long arms. Takes up lots of space in the back seat area of the cruiser.

Also a Tuffpak. The barrels can be put in a bag, then together in a gun slip or two. Then in something else.

Usually one doesn't take them all! The shotgun is handy, and the 9.3 mm barrels. Maybe a combination set. Maybe I will take them all!

If Kangaroo Island wasn't burned out, I would see about a feral pig hunt with the 7x65R down there. Where I once hunted is right next to the Flinders Chase National Park, had to drive through the park then unlock a park gate to get to the farm paddock. I am sure it is ash now. I hope the farmer's house survived. Probably not. I lost his contact details but might go for a drive one day and hopefully be able to knock on a door, if I remember where his house was. A few kms further South. That bushfire was awful stuff.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7407

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com