Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heeren system

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Heeren system [Re: chapmen]
      #340656 - 02/05/20 10:34 PM

I acquired this Heeren falling-block rifle in 2018; it is by conception a German-Austrian crossbred: German as it was assembled in Hamburg by rifle maker F. Cieplik and proofed in Germany in 1969, and Austrian as the Heeren action was manufactured in Graz by August Orechowsky:

• There is not much information available online about rifle maker Cieplik in Hamburg and the only mention to him that I found is in an article about rifle makers Hartmann & Weiss https://www.hartmannandweiss.com/presse/10-01-ss.pdf into which one can read that “ Gerhard Hartmann was 15 (comment: in the mid-50’s) when he found Cieplik, a small hometown gunmaker in Hamburg to take him on for a four-year apprenticeship”. Any additional information on Cieplik would therefore be much welcomed.
• Thanks to Axel Eichendorff - Kuduae, there is more data available about August Orechowsky. Kuduae shared the following in Waidmannsheil (Winter 2013): “In 1947 the Austrian gunmaker August Orechowsky in Graz, trademark “Orea”, started to assemble the tooling necessary for making Heeren actions. From 1950 to 1970 Orea made about 350 Heeren rifles. Actions were also sold to Glaser in Zürich (after their supply of Omega actions was used up), Schwarz in Bern, Swiss also, and v.Hofe/Gehmann in Karlsruhe, Germany. Orea incorporated some improvements to the basic Heeren action, like a redesigned extractor and coil springs”.
This Heeren rifle is chambered for the versatile 7x65R calibre; she is to my personal taste an elegant stutzen engraved in the ‘eichenlaub’ style. Total length is 105 cm for a 65 cm barrel and weight is 3,4kg unscoped / 4 kg scoped.

Top line, from buttstock to front sight:

The Heeren action:

Additional markings under the wood line:

The scope is a Karl Kaps model Variabel 1,5-7:

When I got it one of the turrets was blocked, probably by dessicated lubricant, and after exhausting all means to unblock it without potential damage I sent it back to the factory in Asslar/Wetzlar (Germany) https://www.kaps-optik.de/en/sport-optics.html . They got it back in order and, what a great family-managed company that values customer relationship, refused to charge me; I therefore sent some wine to Herr Holger Kaps in order to thank him for his gesture.

With RWS factory ammunition, the KS 10,5 grams / 162 grains ammunition is the best match regarding accuracy:

I plan to take this Heeren rifle out for roe buck stalking this year, hopefully from early June 2020 if lockdown lifted by then!

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Heeren system [Re: Louis]
      #340667 - 03/05/20 02:41 AM

Very nice, Louis - it should be a smasher for them. What load/bullet weight will you use for roe deer?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Heeren system [Re: DarylS]
      #340678 - 03/05/20 09:43 AM

The workmanship & wood on this rifle is magnificent to say the least Louis!
While personally not my cup of tea (compared to you 9.3x74 example) I think it's more so the engraving that sways me slightly on this one.
Please don't get me wrong here mate, it is in a fantastic caliber & more than capable of taking out anything that get in its way!
Wonderful experience that you had with the scope & its maker, no wonder you sent him a fine bottle of wine!
But mostly it will be great rifle to carry through alpine areas with its full stock!
Looking forward to her range & hunting report
Keep us informed on both
93x64mm

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Heeren system [Re: 93x64mm]
      #340687 - 03/05/20 02:40 PM

Louis, magnificent rifle for sure with a superb piece of wood. Fantastic workmanship and in a great cartridge.

Great to hear about the scope as well, its service like that that makes you want to buy more of their product. I have spoken to them on the phone in the past and found them to be extremely helpful. They also have an interesting product range.

The Omega actions that you mention, is that the Omega watch company that you are referring too.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Heeren system [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #340693 - 03/05/20 03:13 PM

well thats such a fine rifle I would worry to take it out of the safe, especially the wood is an eye catcher from the distance.
I would hesitate to take it into the moutains for fearing it will be scratched.

if you order such a rifle today you can guess by the very high price how valuable this piece was also in the days when it leave the shop the first time. good it overcome the times in such fantastic condition and end in your hands

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Louis
.375 member

Re: Heeren system [Re: lancaster]
      #340716 - 04/05/20 12:53 AM

Daryl, 9,3x64, Waidmannsheil and Lancaster, thank you for your comments; below are, in bulk, answers to your questions:

- I do not reload; I must confess this almost capital sin! I have reloaded ages ago, when a teenager and young adult, and I have still most of my kit stored in a box at home. I stopped reloading when I joined the military as I never spent much time at home and the situation is pretty much the same now that I work on commercial projects. I am not sure I will start reloading one day as achieving good results requires a wealth of experience gained from time spent on the reloading bench; I therefore buy what I guess to be among the best on the commercial ammunition market i.e. RWS and Dorfner (the later for Mannlicher Schoenauer calibres) in order to put as much chances as possible on my side when hunting.

- This Heeren gives best results with RWS KS 10,5 grams / grains ammunition and is pretty accurate with 3-shot groupings below half-an-inch at 100 m and by c. an inch at 200 m. When I have a new rifle, I usually buy one box of every different type of ammo sold by RWS in that calibre and test the rifle on the range; from there I select which one is the best match between barrel and ammo. Result is often an issue of rifle twist but not only; kipplauf in 7x65R and Heeren in 7x65R have the same twist however the first one shots best with KS 8 grams and the second one with KS 10,5 grams. Don’t ask me why !

- Heeren actions made by the watch-maker Omega in Switzerland – From Axel / Kuduae in “Waidmannsheil” (Winter 2013): “ In 1947 the well-renowned Swiss gun shop of Wilhelm Glaser in Zürich, formerly a big customer of Heym and Kerner, took up making their own Heeren rifles. They had their actions machined by the Omega, Louis Brandt & Frere S.A. watch company in Biel, Switzerland and fitted, barrelled, stocked and finished them in their own shop. They also sold some actions in the white to other gun makers. All in all, 240 Omega- Glaser actions were made”.

- Hunting rifles are made for hunting, they must be treated with as much care as possible while on the field, and scratches can be dealt with when re-oiling the wood at the end of the season.

Louis

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

#340718 - 04/05/20 02:10 AM

One miss above, corrected hereafter: RWS KS 10,5 grams is 162 grains.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #340723 - 04/05/20 03:43 AM

That is quite excellent accuracy, even for well "built" (worked up) handloads, Louis.
The 7x65R is quite an accurate ctg. it seems. A friend of mine has an O/U with 16 bore barrel on top.
The 7x65R shoots sub 1/2" @ 100 meters with 160gr. TSX Barnes mono bullets.
Seems to me,(IIRC) they were doing better than 2,700fps - or very close to it.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Heeren system [Re: DarylS]
      #340729 - 04/05/20 07:07 AM

Thanks Louis, very amazing that Omega built actions. I have several books on Omega and have never seen that mentioned before.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Heeren system [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #340740 - 04/05/20 02:55 PM

Very nice rifle. That "schnabel" without any bayern -style butt stock looks in my eyes a little strange.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Louis
.375 member

Re: Heeren system [Re: Igorrock]
      #340744 - 04/05/20 06:27 PM

Thank you Igorrock; the combination of a stock with German cheekpiece and "schnabel" fore-end is indeed not common but can be found from time to time as on some Mauser Model S "stutzen" rifles (some examples on Jon Speed's book) or even earlier, see the below advert dated 1908.

Louis

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #340784 - 05/05/20 02:33 PM

Thats a fine rifle Louis, looking forward to seeing it and the Roebuck together !!

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Louis
.375 member

Re: Heeren system [Re: paradox_]
      #340853 - 07/05/20 06:29 PM

Thank you very much, Paradox!
Louis

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17842

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com