Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 6.5 X 53R cases

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
6.5 X 53R cases
      #339853 - 07/04/20 05:23 AM

I have been working on a Dutch Mannlicher for the past few months and since I am house bound to avoid the plague and waiting for the return of the stock from the checkerer thought I would work on making brass.
I know I am most likely preaching to the choir will post anyway.
I made a new stem for the 5C collet stop with a taper to center the cartridge and using a 7/16 collet can quickly load and shape the brass, turning the rim and putting a slight taper on the base this makes the cartridges slide much easier.
I have a RCBS form and trim die after forming and triming I anneal the neck prior to fire forming. Then resize check the lenght and reload with 6.5 x 54 die set. So far no split necks. I am using new Winchester brass.

Edited by Rolland (07/04/20 09:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: Rolland]
      #339861 - 07/04/20 09:50 AM

Yes, if the back edge of the rim is not rounded, they will jam in the clips.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: MikeRowe]
      #339863 - 07/04/20 10:32 AM

If we could solve the Australian import restriction, you would be contracted to make my next hundred cases Rolland!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: Marrakai]
      #339865 - 07/04/20 11:06 AM

Rolland, I like your setup. I made a similar device with a small three jaw chuck with a spring loaded center inside for machining case heads, works well.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rolland
.333 member

Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: Marrakai]
      #339877 - 07/04/20 01:45 PM

Quote:

If we could solve the Australian import restriction, you would be contracted to make my next hundred cases Rolland!

Wouldn't be wonderful if we could get rid of the insane rule makers and get back to common sense.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #339975 - 10/04/20 03:02 PM

common sense? in times of "corona pandemic"

must be a wonderful world but to quote frederic the great "I am like moses, I see the promised land from far away but I will never come into it"

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #339978 - 10/04/20 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't be wonderful if we could get rid of the insane rule makers and get back to common sense.

What's the story here? "Australian Import Restriction"? At which end, can brass not be imported into the USA from Australia? Or not exported from Australia to the USA?

All new to me.

I know it can be hard to "export" stuff from the USA to Australia or elsewhere if related to firearms. One of Obama's little creations wasn't it? When will Trump fix that one? He has had enough time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rolland
.333 member

Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: NitroX]
      #339992 - 11/04/20 03:54 AM

Ammunition and components of Ammunition
To import ammunition and components of ammunition into Australia, importers must obtain prior to importation, one of the following:

written certification from the police firearms or weapons registry in their state or territory
written permission to import from the Department of Home Affairs (small and large calibre).
Ammunition for use with firearms, also known as rounds, bullets, and cartridges, is controlled under the Regulations. This includes ammunition for paintball markers, soft air (BB) pellets as well as ball or shot projectiles for muzzle-loading firearms.

Components of ammunition include projectiles, cartridge casings, whether new or spent, and primers designed or adapted for use in ammunition are also controlled under the Regulations.

I got this off of the Australian web site

I did not find any restrictions for import in to the US but with the gobbly gook way they write the laws it is anybodys guess.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#339996 - 11/04/20 09:48 AM

Thanks Rolland. So the authoritarian bastards in Australia have put even more restrictions in without me realising it.

Even empty brass and projectiles .... scum bags.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #339997 - 11/04/20 11:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks Rolland. So the authoritarian bastards in Australia have put even more restrictions in without me realising it.

Even empty brass and projectiles .... scum bags.

Problem is that you do not know who is driving the regulations. Are they there because this is what the USA want before they will allow export from the USA i.e. proof of legitimacy of importer and use in Oz. What the USA wants it gets, you in OZ should know that by now, When the USA says bend over don't your PM's reach for the floor

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: eagle27]
      #339998 - 11/04/20 11:38 AM

Pretty sure you will find that Australia's import restrictions preceded US's export restrictions (Port Arthur preceded Nine-Eleven).
Nowadays our problem in Oz is related to some (most?) US retailers' outright refusal to export gun-related items/accessories that Australians could legally import, albeit some items may require a B709 import permit.

Ammunition components are probably a bit tougher for a private individual to import though.

I hope Bruce Bertram and Geoff McDonald are self-isolating with enthusiasm!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: eagle27]
      #340003 - 11/04/20 06:48 PM

Quote:

When the USA says bend over don't your PM's reach for the floor

Like when your PM gets down on her knees. Ha ha

But I would worried about those teeth on her, strip the meat off a leg bone in one go ...

To our American friends, Aussies and Kiwis rarely respect our PM's like you love your Presidents.

On the import restrictions. I used to bring in brass eg on trips no problem. Maybe 2001 or 2006 it was confiscated in Perth. 2006 I think. I got it back when supplying documentation. B709A I think from SAPOL.

It looks like there is extra documentation requirements. The Home dept or whatever didn't exist then.

Also projectiles have never needed a B709A or other docs. Looks like very new requirements.

Probably slipped in the back door to prevent terrorists or something buying projectiles for hand loading or some such BS.

USA connected, a possibility. I doubt it.

I most recently imported brass and projectiles when Rolf sent over the Mannlichers. I did need B709;s from the police and applied for after customs notified me, no other agency involved.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (11/04/20 06:49 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #340008 - 11/04/20 07:58 PM

I have found customs here to actually be very friendly and helpful, at least those that I have dealt with. Importing is generally not to problematic here so long you don't try and bullshit them or hide the goods inside tomato sauce tins etc. If you declare honestly what it is most of the time the goods goes through without any problems and other times Customs may require that you fill out a B709A form which is more or less a formality. At least that has been my experience.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #340044 - 13/04/20 01:48 PM

John

Matt is right here, B709A from your local WL is generally all thats required for all the above, nothing has chnaged here...except peoples propensity to become paranoid.....IMHO

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 6.5 X 53R cases [Re: paradox_]
      #340048 - 13/04/20 05:17 PM

I've had many dealings with customs.

For simple B709s for ammo even firearms never had any real issues. Cops were even speedy when they knew customs was already holding stuff.

Had incidents with the pricks over other stuff though. Knives. I collect them. I had a very rare antique confiscated and presumably destroyed when returning from India they said the hareem jamdhar punching two bladed knife was illegal. Gave me a form but said it had to be applied for before bringing to Australia, so presumably a waste of time. Later someone told me, no, you should still have applied for as they have to consider the application if it was confiscated at the airport. I even asked them to donate it to a museum rather than destroy it. There were TWO of those in Johdpur of that age, over 400 years old. That one and one in a museum.

And nowadays customs or border force, loves tobacco taxing. I hate tax collectors of any sort. It is a Biblical thing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
      #340069 - 14/04/20 05:32 AM

That's just pure low down dirty!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4001

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com