Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: clark7781]
      #34038 - 29/06/05 08:53 AM

Some quotes from the horse's mouth.

All are taken from Death and Double Rifles by Mark Sullivan, copyright 2000, Mark Sullivan Nitro Express Safaris:

"My cameraman and I had been very successful in getting great footage of everything except a buffalo charge. Needless to say, we knew what we needed and fully appreciated that without a great charge, the movie would not be completed ." (Emphasis added) p. 29.

Hmmmm...is it his safari or the client's?

"As luck would have it, the perfect situation occured. My client, Hector Gonzalez from Puerto Rico, could not have been more perfect for what was about to happen. Upon arriving [Hector] had expressed his desire to be involved in a charge and with that the events seemingly rolled into place." (Emphasis added) p. 29.

"Contray to popular belief and the myths spread by a lot of professional hunters and clients, buffalo seldom charge on their own. Rather, one must go after them and make it happen." p. 26.

How do you make it happen, Mark?

Buffalo charge on demand. I wonder if he serves up fries and a large Coke with each request?

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: Maineguide]
      #34042 - 29/06/05 09:55 AM

In reply to:

Dugaboy1,

As stated in previous posts, is it more ethical to wait out a wounded animal, let him "stiffen up" for an hour or more before following up? Wounded animals happen in hunting, I don't think MS's way is anymore wrong than waiting an animal out to suffer and bleed to death.

MainGuide, The sittuation you site of not following up too quickly, and allowing him to stiffen up, or bleed to death is only done by Bow hunters, and it is a neccessary thing to do. With an arrow poked deer, if you follow up too soon you will likely loose him , because he will run till he's out of blood, and hence no blood trail, Equals a lost deer. The only time a Cape Buffalo is not followed up quickly, is when light is failing,and you have to wait for daylight, or when he gets into bush so think it is unsafe to go in till you can be sure how bad he's hit. Both times this is consideration for human life!

You know as well as the rest of us, your example is not valid, because there is a large difference in standing within fifty feet of an animal you can see, and watch him suffer, when you could simply shoot him, and end it, and one in the long grass where someone may be killed, or an arrow shot deer, that you may loose if you act too soon! There is also a very large difference in standing a charge of a buffalo that is in plain sight, and going into that long grass after him! MS always chooses the open to be brave, standing a charge that didn't have to happen in the first place, except for film footage, not to give the bull a choice bull shit he spouts! It's dollars, nothing more! I suspect you knew all this anyway, and simply like sinsationalism, and like MS don't care how you get it!

In any event, I will never have to worry about it, because I could never afford one of his induced charges, even if I thought it was ethical, which I do not! If you enjoy his antics, be my guest, you are in the minority in the African hunting community in your opinion of this subject, but then you, and a few others, may be right, and the rest of the hunting world wrong. MS himself said publicly that "HE IS THE MOST HATED MAN IN AFRICAN SAFARI INDUSTRY" I agree with him on that point!

PS: What makes you think what I said about the film SUDDEN DEATH is an exaggeration? all you have to do is watch the film for yourself!If you need the footage count, I'll get it for you. With the animal dragging himself plainly in the background, MS stops twice while walking to the wounded buff, to talk to the camera a string of his unending pontification, and to proclaim his concession to be the best. Then to stand, and talk to the client about how he made the wounding shot, while the buff draggs himself toward them, while every muscle in his body trimbled in nearvous convulsion. His films are a PeTA dream come true!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #34048 - 29/06/05 12:03 PM

How many buffalo have you taken? They are not deer or elk that wander away and stiffen up or die. They don't as a rule charge, but do charge at unpredictable times. It seems odd that MS can "predict" all these charges.

If the ratio of charges to hunt were as high in general as in his hunting camps, there would be PH and hunter bones scattered all over Africa, knee deep.

I've said my piece. We each have every right to our opinions...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: luv2safari]
      #34052 - 29/06/05 12:25 PM

I would like to point out that to the extent Mr. Sullivan is criticized in the safari industry, it is because of his tactics not because of his fame. John Sharp is a very high profile guy, but he is well respected and considered to be a very fine hunter.

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #34063 - 29/06/05 04:33 PM

Hopefully not inflammatory and I do not mean to upset anyone, but...

Setting up a charge with a large animal is easy. No skill involved there.

If he gets charged that often, by anything, he is either incompetent or he is intentionally causing it.

I'm starting to wonder if there if are there any farm kids on the forum who grew up working large animals...Charges from stuff bigger than that Cape Buffalo occurred on occasion when you screwed up, and if you grew up working large animals you remember very well you were very unarmed at the time, and if you were armed you couldn't shoot because it would have been a huge economic loss. When working in a lot or at a sale barn you had the same mess to deal with 20 or 30 times per day.

This guy is doing it in the open with a Cape Buffalo that is half the size of a small Brangus bull and he's armed with a .500 NE. That makes it a non event compared to normal work for farmers and ranchers.

Richard.

EDIT...

He also gets paid specifically to kill it...whereas everyone else with the exception of clients on safari usually is legally required to do everything to avoid killing it...there is a difference there. RGP

Edited by rgp (29/06/05 06:06 PM)

Maineguide
.275 member

Reged: 09/03/05
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: rgp]
      #34074 - 29/06/05 09:22 PM

MK does force a charge or a retreat. He admit's that, the point is whether or not its unethical to do that?

Maineguide

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #34082 - 30/06/05 01:09 AM

If he forces a charge from a non wounded buff and the client knows and wants this then it is as humain as any other form of hunting.

I'm not sure about this gut shooting theory, but if thats the case he's a pure ass. It is the hunter responsibility to put the game down as quickly and humanly as possible, period. Any divergence from this and you are not a sportsmen.

PS I can think of no insult to a hunter lower then being called a non sportsmen.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: Rell]
      #34105 - 30/06/05 07:38 AM

I have never seen anything on Mark Sullivans films that suggests that he or any of his clients have ever deliberately gut shot any animal.
Perhaps some people are confusing a gut shot with the quartering away shot using solid bullets where the shot will enter the paunch and then continue to travel forward into the vital chest area.

Nor have I ever seen any time where he has taken anywhere near TEN minutes to finish an animal off that could have been killed sooner.
Maybe I have a different "Shot to Death" than others as in my copy the final shot is delivered in well under 2 minutes.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: 4seventy]
      #34119 - 30/06/05 12:24 PM

I think that Sullivan just takes out really lousy shots.

I had a conversation with Guy Jobert when the first couple of MS tapes came out. He said that in 30 plus years of hunting he had less than a dozen Buff charges. He said probably 50 Ele charges when hunting and cropping.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: 4seventy]
      #34128 - 30/06/05 03:55 PM

My son had a video production company (PlayMore Production, or PMP as we called it) and shot stock hunting and fishing footage that he sold to various large production companies for fill in back in the days of the large commercial Beta-Cam and 3/4 inch tape. These 30 second and two minute sequences take anywhere from 10 minutes to hous to set up and shoot. What we see is highly edited and is only what the producer wants shown. Also, things are not taped in sequence as we see the finished product.

I guess this is all well known to you, Moony, but many people don't realize that what they just saw may be a compilation of various hunts or days from one hunt.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

rgp
.333 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: luv2safari]
      #34131 - 30/06/05 04:38 PM

lu2safari,

Even before editing, if the film is done by a professional crew, it can still look completely different to the actual events.

Editing just makes that easier to accomplish.

I've also worked in the film and publishing businesses, and personally I won't believe anything I see on film unless the film was done by a complete amateur.

Richard.

Maineguide
.275 member

#34134 - 30/06/05 07:47 PM

Rap,

I have not seen MS provoke a charge from anything but a wounded animal. The reason other even more experienced PH's haven't had as many charges is that they don't give the animal the choice. That is MS's method of hunting, he gives the wounded animal the chance to charge or run. Since no one has yet to convince me that he guts shoots animals on purpose, or that he lets animals suffer longer than they would under other hunting circumstances. Let's answer the question {giving lack of proof otherwise}, is MS's method of hunting unethical or not? I don't think so,

Maineguide

clark7781
.375 member

#34137 - 30/06/05 10:22 PM

Ok, let's take a look at the sequence of events in "Death on the Run." In the video, Hector, MS' client, shoots his .375 at a buff.

It's followed up with a few more shots until the buff runs away (with two or three other bulls with it).

MS and Hector follow the wounded animal.

They come up to the group NUMEROUS times where MS talks to Hector and the camera and says "there's your bull."

Why isn't he telling the client to follow up with shots to but the bull down for good? (From the footage that I can actually see, there are NUMEROUS times where I would have taken a follow-up shot.) He wants a charge.

MS contines to talk and walk towards the buff with Hector.

They walk right up to the old boy. Again, no shots.

The guns start shooting when the bull gets up and charges.

Now, I ask any ethical hunter out there this: If you are in the same situation (the Hector Gonzales scene in "Death on the Run"), would you shoot at your injured buff to put it down at each opportunity, or would you continue to walk to towards it and prolong its agony?

These are majestic beasts and some of the toughest SOBs on the planet. It is not honorable to prolong suffering of any kind, let alone the king of dangerous game.

This my opinion and my opinion only. But I do not think that MS is an ethical hunter is any sense of the word.

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #34141 - 01/07/05 12:44 AM

Excuse my late entry, but this comes up again and again when discussing Sullivan and I think there's a pretty simple explanation.

We all agree that Sullivan sells videos featuring "Charges." Right?

As a means to that end...

1. Do you think he's the most unlucky PH EVER? (I think not, or he would have surely been "scratched" by now.)

2. Or do you think he knows what TO DO - or perhaps more accurately - he knows what NOT TO DO in order to capture the charge he wants on film?

Either by active means or passive means on his part, I have to go with the latter explanation. And IMO, that is unethical.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

45s_save_lives
.224 member

Reged: 12/11/05
Loc: west by god virginia, currentl...
      #41559 - 15/11/05 12:28 PM

I dont really see what all the fuss about mark Sullivan is about. I agree with him fully, although I do think some of the dialogue is a bit over dramatic. As for as ethics go, arnt we as responsible hunters supposed to end the suffering as soon as possable? So in that case wouldnt it be more ethical to immediately follow up a wounded animal instead of leaving him be for an extended period of time so he can "stiffen up"? The practice of leaving them alone for a while came around as a safety percaution, IMHO. So to put him down because he gets a kick out of humanely killing the animal and at the same time gives these noble creatures the chance to fight back is silly to me. And I have never seen or heard anything that would lead me to believe that he intentionally gut shoots anything. And it cant be argued that he can find good trophies. As for shooting the animal himself, people book with him because they want an experience like that and if they cant handle it (which im sure most cant) its his job as a PH to prevent them from harm. Most of the people grumbling about him are jelous I think.

--------------------
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Maineguide
.275 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: 45s_save_lives]
      #41607 - 15/11/05 10:14 PM

I agree with you whole heartedly. Many of Sullivan's distractors have never seen the films. If you watch his film In the face of death, he explains his method of hunting and the safety of his way. I makes perfect sense and was well thought out. While not for everybody it is probably a more ethical way to hunt.

Maineguide

rgp
.333 member

#41609 - 15/11/05 10:47 PM

I spent most of my life doing two things, working with large animals and being a corporate pilot. I started working he ranch gig when I was about 5 years old.

Sulivan could just as easily have set those hunts up for a clean kill. He didn't do that.

Go work on a farm or a ranch or a cattle station for a year and come back and answer this thread. Work the job unarmed like everyone else has to do it. You might learn a lot more than you think you know.

Then decide what you think of Mark Sullivan and all the other concrete cowboys who are always on the receiving end of a charge from an animal.

This is worded a lot less strongly than it was before I edited it...

Richard.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #41636 - 16/11/05 04:41 AM

Sullivan has more charges in a single season than most PH's in a lifetime. It is not because he is a more humane hunter rather because he allows clients to take shots that have a larger chance of being non fatal. A lot of long shots in his videos and, to be honest, a lot of pretty lousy shooting by clients.

He is a nice guy to talk to and he will tell you right up front that he makes far more money selling videos than PHing. It is in his financial interest have as many charges as possible on tape.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: mickey]
      #41652 - 16/11/05 06:49 AM

In reply to:

"My cameraman and I had been very successful in getting great footage of everything except a buffalo charge. Needless to say, we knew what we needed and fully appreciated that without a great charge, the movie would not be completed ." (Emphasis added) p. 29.

From the horse's mouth - only one thing is important to that man.

I love the picture in Mark's book of him holding the lion on his shoulders. Classic chest thumping.

The greatest thing that could happen to that man is for him to die in his own arms...

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

Maineguide
.275 member

#41666 - 16/11/05 09:04 AM

Guys, what don't you get here, he wants the animal to charge, that's why he walks in on a wounded buffalo. It either charges or runs away. The same with Hippo's and they are not wounded when he walks into their flee or fight zone. Nothing unethical about that, just plain ballsy.

Maineguide

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #41668 - 16/11/05 10:10 AM

In reply to:

Guys, what don't you get here, he wants the animal to charge, that's why he walks in on a wounded buffalo. It either charges or runs away. The same with Hippo's and they are not wounded when he walks into their flee or fight zone. Nothing unethical about that, just plain ballsy.

Maineguide

Perhaps it hasn't been stated clearly enough in the other posts, so I'll take a stab at it.

Ethically, most of the guys here are real hunters and share an obligation to put the animal down as quickly as possible with as little suffering by the animal as possible.

At least that's how most of us were taught to hunt.

The problem with the argument above has nothing to do with "balls" it's about intentionally overlooking that obligation to minimize the animal's suffering in exchange for monetary gain.

In effect, profiting from the animal's unnecessary suffering.

With all due respect, what don't you get about that simple principle?

As for standing in the way of anything that's not wounded, although that sounds more like intentional "trick shooting" I see nothing unethical about that. Smart? Not really, but not unethical either.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: new_guy]
      #41673 - 16/11/05 10:44 AM

In reply to:

Ethically, most of the guys here are real hunters and share an obligation to put the animal down as quickly as possible with as little suffering by the animal as possible.

Amen.

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #41714 - 16/11/05 03:37 PM

In August this year I am pretty sure I could have "engineered" a charge by a scrub bull.

I shot the bull perhaps with an unwise shot. I shot it with an acute angle from behind into the gut aiming for penetration to the chest. Perhaps the bullet never made the chest!

The bull turned and I immediately hit it in the chest with the second barrel.

The bull was above me on the hill, maybe seventy metres away. It had the advantage of the higher ground. It came running down the hill looking for me, maybe ran about 20 to 25 metres down the hill.

I was behind a tree.

Graham the guide and another client were about twenty metres behind me. Graham filmed the hunt with my videocamera. At this point Graham said "Wal, get your .416 ready!"

I reloaded one barrel and decided to forgo the second barrel as the bull was perfectly positioned. I hit it again this time in the shoulder and into the heart/lungs. Sprays of blood shot metres into the air. The bull collapsed.

What would have happened if I reloaded and stepped out from behind the tree and out into the open so the red scrub bull could see me?

Perhaps it would have turned and run away.

Perhaps it would have charged and the charge caught on film.

Perhaps I would have got squashed!

As I said before even a lung shot buffalo could probably be induced to charge. Normally hunters do not expose themselves to the wounded dangerous beast. They keep covered if possible and shoot again. If you let the buffalo both see you and also smell you, and then approach it to close range, in my opinion the chances of it charging will be considerably increased.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Maineguide
.275 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: NitroX]
      #41732 - 17/11/05 12:03 AM

New guy and NitroX,

Newguy, Sullivan does not let animals suffer, he follows them up and dispatches them immediately. If that is what I saw or had evidence of, I would agree with you. I have not seen this. Clark stated he watched a scene where Sullivan waxed on for ten minutes before dispatching a buffalo. In fact it was 84 seconds. As for trick shooting a hippo in full charge with a double, well he's shooting backup to his clients in most videos. I don't see the trick. It's just his method of giving the animal a chance at you that seems to bother some of us.

NitroX, whether you steped out and shot him in charge or retreat or as you did "shot him from behind the tree" it matters not to me. I just don't find any of those methods unethical. If Sullivan chooses to risk his life more than others that's up to him, but don't say its unethical.

Maineguide

Once again I'll try to respectfully explain.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #41741 - 17/11/05 02:23 AM

In reply to:

NitroX, whether you steped out and shot him in charge or retreat or as you did "shot him from behind the tree" it matters not to me. I just don't find any of those methods unethical. If Sullivan chooses to risk his life more than others that's up to him, but don't say its unethical.

Maineguide

I don't remember making anything but neutral remarks regarding Sulivan.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16731

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com