Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun
      #338823 - 09/03/20 12:06 AM

NE Member 458Win, Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun

AN ALASKA MAN KILLED A CHARGING BROWN BEAR WITH A 9MM PISTOL
Alaska Man Kills Charging Brown Bear With a 9mm Pistol
BuffaloBore.com

Posted by John McAdams

September 6, 2019

It's a miracle this Alaskan fishing guide lived to tell the tale.
Phil Shoemaker, an experienced Alaskan hunting and fishing guide, was guiding a couple of clients on a salmon fishing trip in the Becharof National Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Alaska when they had a close range encounter with an angry bear.

Fortunately for everyone involved, Phil stopped the raging brown bear with a 9mm pistol at close range. Phil and his two clients walked away from the incident without a scratch.

Gun enthusiasts will likely debate the merits of his decision to carry a S&W 3954 handgun in 9mm for defense for years to come, especially considering the fact that he also owned a S&W 629 chambered in .44 Magnum but chose not to carry it. Regardless of what you think of his decision, this episode shows that with good ammunition, good shot placement, and a little luck, it is possible to stop a bear with a 9mm pistol, even though it is not known as a great cartridge for a bear defense gun.

One of the major limitations of using a cartridge like the 9mm Luger for bear defense is the lack of penetration of most 9mm bullets compared more powerful cartridges like the .454 Casull or .500 S&W. In this case, Phil was using 147gr hard cast bullets made by Buffalo Bore that are designed specifically for deep penetration, which mitigates some of the risk of using a 9mm against a bear. On the other hand, one of the benefits of using a 9mm for bear is that most 9mm pistols have larger magazines and offer the shooter the ability to take multiple rapid follow-up shots, which certainly came in handy in this case.

Below is the story of how it all went down in Phil's own words in a letter he wrote to Buffalo Bore ammunition:

Two days ago I was guiding a couple from NY on a fishing trip and decided to pack my S&W 3954 pistol. When we were approaching the stream we bumped into a large boar who must have been sleeping as we were talking loud just so we wouldn't suprise one. Over the past 33 years I have lived and guided here on the Alaska peninsula I have never had to kill a bear in defense of life, but this bear was different.

We were in thick brush and I was only 8 or 10 feet from the bear when he started growling and huffing. I began yelling and it eventually ran around, behind my two clients, into the brush. But within 15 seconds it came charging back from the area behind us and popped out of the brush 10 feet from me! I had the little S&W in my hands and was thinking I was probably going to have to shoot it but as it cleared the brush it headed toward my clients. The man had enough sense to grab his wife and fall backwards into the tall grass. The bear seemed to loose track of them, even though it was less than 3 feet away from them and it was highly agitated! It then swung toward me, I was 6 or 8 feet away, and I fired the first shot into the area between the head and shoulder. It growled and started wildly thrashing around, still basically on the feet of my clients. My next shot hit it in the shoulder and it began twisting and biting at the hits and I continued firing as fast as I could see vitals. Five shots later it turned into the brush and I hit it again and it twisted and fell 20 feet from us!

Brown bears are big, tough animals and it pays to be well armed and to shoot straight if you ever encounter one that's mad at you. I don't necessarily recommend carrying a 9mm pistol for defense if you're in bear country, but it will clearly do the job in the right hands.

Alaska Man Kills Charging Brown Bear With A 9mm Pistol 2
BuffaloBore.com
Have you ever heard of another similar event? If so, reach out on our social channels!

Like what you see here? You can read more great hunting articles by John McAdams on his hunting blog. Follow him on Facebook The Big Game Hunting Blog, Twitter @TheBigGameHunt and on Instagram The_Big_Game_Hunter

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-ma...oKlFQgVXktzwz00

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: NitroX]
      #338836 - 09/03/20 02:51 AM

I remember when this story was first posted on here last year... Buffalo Bore makes a hell of a round.. Having said that, it takes some real fortitude to stand and keep firing at a pissed off griz..with a 9mm.. Most could NOT do that..

Congrats and hats off to Phil.. Great job..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: Ripp]
      #338841 - 09/03/20 03:29 AM

Yes - that was a good story. Kudus for Phil.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #338842 - 09/03/20 03:35 AM

Congratulations Phil; you're a talented, bold and lucky man!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: Louis]
      #338870 - 09/03/20 10:01 AM

Well done Phil.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: Louis]
      #338887 - 09/03/20 04:57 PM

Quote:

Congratulations Phil; you're a talented, bold and lucky man!
Louis

Not wrong there - couldn't have put it any better!
Bloody brave there mate!

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #338907 - 10/03/20 07:07 AM

Quote:

I remember when this story was first posted on here last year... Buffalo Bore makes a hell of a round.. Having said that, it takes some real fortitude to stand and keep firing at a pissed off griz..with a 9mm.. Most could NOT do that..

Congrats and hats off to Phil.. Great job..

+1

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: Homer]
      #339063 - 15/03/20 03:55 AM

A little back story

Tim Sundles, the owner of Buffalo Bore ammo, had contacted me and said he was making 147 gr hard cars 9mm ammo that was getting 1100 fps for people who wanted something to carry for protection from bears but didn't wish to buy some sort of heavy, expensive hand cannon.
He asked if I would test some ammo and give him feedback. So I tested his ammo against known deep penetrating calibers ( 30 Tokarev, 357 & 44 magnums and a 475 Linebaugh and came to the conclusion that it possessed enough penetration to get the job done.
One week later I was guiding a family who had fished with us before and all day the weather had been rotten so we couldn't get out. By mid afternoon it got better and I offered to take them fishing on a creek close to our home.
We had lived there 30 years, had experienced literally hundreds of close bear encounters and never been forced to shoot a bear, and since we were only going to be out a couple of hours, I elected to carry my little S&W 3954 semi automatic 9mm rather than the heavier and bulkier S&W 44 magnum I normally carry.

When the bear charged from a close patch of thick brush I was regretting my decision but realized it was my only chance . the bear chose to attack the two clients, who grabbed each other and fell back in the tall grass. The bear was standing over them and I was cognizant that I did not want a bullet to pass through and endanger them so was "glad" I had the 9mm.

After six quick hits Everything eventually worked out.

I have received a lot of flack for carrying the 9mm but ANY handgun for bear protection is similar to wearing a life jacket in a boat or keeping a fire extinguisher in the home. It may not be perfect but it can save the day.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: 458Win]
      #339078 - 16/03/20 12:58 AM

Quote:

A little back story

Tim Sundles, the owner of Buffalo Bore ammo, had contacted me and said he was making 147 gr hard cars 9mm ammo that was getting 1100 fps for people who wanted something to carry for protection from bears but didn't wish to buy some sort of heavy, expensive hand cannon.
He asked if I would test some ammo and give him feedback. So I tested his ammo against known deep penetrating calibers ( 30 Tokarev, 357 & 44 magnums and a 475 Linebaugh and came to the conclusion that it possessed enough penetration to get the job done.
One week later I was guiding a family who had fished with us before and all day the weather had been rotten so we couldn't get out. By mid afternoon it got better and I offered to take them fishing on a creek close to our home.
We had lived there 30 years, had experienced literally hundreds of close bear encounters and never been forced to shoot a bear, and since we were only going to be out a couple of hours, I elected to carry my little S&W 3954 semi automatic 9mm rather than the heavier and bulkier S&W 44 magnum I normally carry.

When the bear charged from a close patch of thick brush I was regretting my decision but realized it was my only chance . the bear chose to attack the two clients, who grabbed each other and fell back in the tall grass. The bear was standing over them and I was cognizant that I did not want a bullet to pass through and endanger them so was "glad" I had the 9mm.

After six quick hits Everything eventually worked out.

I have received a lot of flack for carrying the 9mm but ANY handgun for bear protection is similar to wearing a life jacket in a boat or keeping a fire extinguisher in the home. It may not be perfect but it can save the day.

Thank you for that...crazy story

--------------------

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #339124 - 17/03/20 09:51 AM

What a great story. Congrats on successful shooting so you & clients are here to tell about it.

--------------------
RB

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: 85lc]
      #339129 - 17/03/20 12:18 PM

US Secretary of the Interior.......unbelievable. (Or actually totally believeable)

Edited from a news release:
Don’t Poke the Bear. Or Shoot it With a Paintball Gun. Really. .
Despite being from a place called Rifle, Colorado; the U.S. Secretary of the Interior has advised America’s outdoorsmen to use non-lethal, nuisance-based tools to shoo off pesky grizzly bears.

I’m not joking. Secretary David Bernhardt confirmed the new U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service guidance which recommends using “paintballs, noise-making projectiles, and visual deterrents” against bears. The Service also suggests using stones or marbles by way of a slingshot, as though it were a big furry Goliath.

I’m no wildlife expert, but let’s consider the ballistics here. At about 300 feet per second (the usual maximum FPS for a paintball marker), a paintball’s impact energy is about 12.5 Joules. Compare that to your typical 10 millimeter round, which would hit our furry friend with 960 Joules’ worth of energy. The problem is that if you poke the bear and don’t spook it, all you’ve got left is a very pissed off bear.

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: 3DogMike]
      #339132 - 17/03/20 02:25 PM

Quote:

US Secretary of the Interior.......unbelievable. (Or actually totally believeable)

Despite being from a place called Rifle, Colorado; the U.S. Secretary of the Interior has advised America’s outdoorsmen to use non-lethal, nuisance-based tools to shoo off pesky grizzly bears.

I’m not joking. Secretary David Bernhardt confirmed the new U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service guidance which recommends using “paintballs, noise-making projectiles, and visual deterrents” against bears. The Service also suggests using stones or marbles by way of a slingshot, as though it were a big furry Goliath.

I’m no wildlife expert, but let’s consider the ballistics here. At about 300 feet per second (the usual maximum FPS for a paintball marker), a paintball’s impact energy is about 12.5 Joules. Compare that to your typical 10 millimeter round, which would hit our furry friend with 960 Joules’ worth of energy. The problem is that if you poke the bear and don’t spook it, all you’ve got left is a very pissed off bear.

Going out on a limb here but guessing Mr. Bernhardt just got back from a Bernie Sanders rally..

As is often said about so many gov. officials, "You can't make this shit up" .. and yet, these are who we have in charge..

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: 3DogMike]
      #339145 - 17/03/20 07:52 PM

Quote:

That there demonstrates a total lack of knowledge and understanding of nature. It is also one of the most stupid things I could imagine the U.S. F&W Service putting out unless they also advise to carry a decent handgun in case those measures don't work.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: Rule303]
      #339148 - 17/03/20 08:39 PM

Cannot comprehend the results of that. Just WOW.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: DarylS]
      #339183 - 18/03/20 06:22 PM

I shot one stalking black bear with a glass marble from a pretty powerful wrist rocket sling shot. You could tell it stung him but he was agitated and it took another hit, backed by my aggressive actions - I had a 375 H&H in the other hand - before he grudgingly left.
A few days later, in the same campground at Llaird hot springs, a camper was killed by a black bear.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Phil Shoemaker shoots bear with a 9mm handgun [Re: 458Win]
      #379363 - 14/09/23 01:00 PM

Phil Shoemaker's account of a 9mm and a bear in Alaska.

Quote:

Phil:

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #379371 - 14/09/23 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Going out on a limb here but guessing Mr. Bernhardt just got back from a Bernie Sanders rally..

Good one Ripp, nothing surprises me that comes out of our current "Candy ass" administration. Is there any competent people working in the Admin?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4367

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com