Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Browning BSS/double rifle conversion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
JRightmier
.224 member

Reged: 24/01/20
Loc: California
Browning BSS/double rifle conversion
      #337087 - 27/01/20 03:14 AM

Good morning everyone. I'm toying with the idea of converting my 12 ga BSS to a double rifle. I've always loved the idea of having one and this would be my first. I do already have one fairly significant rifle in a 375 Ruger that I purchased for a trip to South Africa last year.
So here are my questions, I'm looking for suggestions on potential caliber (I've been thinking about 450 NE or 577 2 3/4" NE but I'm open for suggestions), gunsmith recommendations, and a ballpark idea of price so I know if this is even feasible. I don't ever see elephant in my future but hopefully Buffalo some day. And forgive my ignorance but do you end up with a set of shotgun barrels and rifle barrels or do they build it using your shotgun barrels? Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
transvaal
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/13
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Browning BSS/double rifle conversion [Re: JRightmier]
      #337117 - 28/01/20 03:49 AM

As a person who has built doubles using shotgun actions, please allow me to respond to your question with more information than you asked.

First, the BSS action was used by Butch Search decades ago to build double rifles and I have not heard of any failures with these actions, and I have read that in some of his later double rifles that he built on the BSS he added a "dolls head" extension from the barrels into the top of the action to hold the barrels more securely upon firing the rifle.

Your shotgun barrels would be used to make the double rifle barrels, generally.

Having said this, my recommendation to you is to purchase one of the well made less expensive double rifles such as the Rizinni

You will then have a double rifle that was built on an action proved and proofed to be used with large bore double rifle cartridges and importantly will be much easier to sell later in your hunting career, if you decide to do so. The Rizinni double rifle can be purchased at a discount below the retail price. A year or so back I was talking with a Rizinni shotgun dealer and he told me that another Rizinni dealer (Gun Sport in Odessa, Tx) had sold a number of these Rizinni double rifles and that the purchasers had been well pleased with them. I recommend that you call this dealer in Odessa, Texas and talk to him about these rifles and if he is like a typical "good ole boy" Texan he will likely give you a contact of a person who has bought one, if you ask him. Note: I can say this because I had the good fortune to live, work and hunt in Texas for 8 years--what a wonderful country to live in.

http://www.rizziniusa.com/double-rifles/rhino-express

There is another Italian double rifle of lower priced in the market--the Sabatti, but it reputation has been questioned in the market place, and therefore the purchase of one unless it is a give away price is not something that you may want to do. You can find all about this issue by search the WWW.

Of course, there is the used double rifle market where any number of large bore double rifles can be found at a reasonable price as the the double rifle market is a bit stagnant at present.

All-in-all since I gather that you cannot build a double rifle on a shotgun action yourself but would require someone to build it for you, you will be better served, satisfied and financially better off to do as I propose.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen

Edited by transvaal (28/01/20 03:51 AM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Browning BSS/double rifle conversion [Re: transvaal]
      #337118 - 28/01/20 04:13 AM

Quote:

my recommendation to you is to purchase one of the well made less expensive double rifles such as the Rizinni

You will then have a double rifle that was built on an action proved and proofed to be used with large bore double rifle cartridges and importantly will be much easier to sell later

This is basically what I would recommend

When I saw this subject title, I immediately opened a Google search for 500 NE double rifle, and also searched gunsinternational with the same term.

No gamble that way, and there are good guns in 470 and 500 that sell for well under 10k USD

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Browning BSS/double rifle conversion [Re: tinker]
      #337122 - 28/01/20 06:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

my recommendation to you is to purchase one of the well made less expensive double rifles such as the Rizinni

You will then have a double rifle that was built on an action proved and proofed to be used with large bore double rifle cartridges and importantly will be much easier to sell later

This is basically what I would recommend

When I saw this subject title, I immediately opened a Google search for 500 NE double rifle, and also searched gunsinternational with the same term.

No gamble that way, and there are good guns in 470 and 500 that sell for well under 10k USD

IMHO, between those two, after having shot both a fair amount, I'd go for the 500.. advice is worth as much as you have just paid for it..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JRightmier
.224 member

Reged: 24/01/20
Loc: California
Re: Browning BSS/double rifle conversion [Re: Ripp]
      #337136 - 28/01/20 01:30 PM

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice and information. There's seems to be a common theme.... Don't mess around with a conversion, just but a double. I'll do some shopping around and see what I can come up with. My next Africa run will be a few years down the road so I've got time. Thanks again guys

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Browning BSS/double rifle conversion [Re: JRightmier]
      #337177 - 30/01/20 01:07 AM

JRightmier,

If you are interested in a good deal on a .500 NE send me a PM.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Mvick
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/20
Loc: South Dakota
Re: Browning BSS/double rifle conversion [Re: CptCurl]
      #338491 - 28/02/20 12:34 PM

I have one of the Searcy BSS conversions in 470. It has the doll’s head.
Inelegant, but it has never let me down.
The shotgun barrels were cut off just forward of the block, and rifle barrels attached.
Butch told me he used the BSS action because it is a good action and made from the right kind of steel for him to re-heat treat.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com