Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: Ripp]
      #338316 - 25/02/20 12:24 AM

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/brand-new-nosler-27-revives-the-277/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: Ripp]
      #338321 - 25/02/20 01:26 AM

What's up with that brass? Are the cases buldged?

I assume new brass so a manufacturing mark? Or FLS from new brass?

Ugly rifle as well.

Quote:

derives from the .404 Jefferies case

If writers could educate themselves on nomenclature and show evidence they actually know something about the subject.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (25/02/20 01:28 AM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: NitroX]
      #338324 - 25/02/20 02:29 AM

In the American market the idea is that all things need to be "new and improved" And for whatever reason, many American will buy anything new. In MOST cases it's new but not actually an improvement once we see the mission statement for the product. Faster doesn't always mean better and in many cases in the past, it's meant worse because the shell is developed, but no big step forward in the design of the bullets. Time will tell.

If the new shell is mated with a 1-8 twist and Nosler comes out with 180 grain bullets we may see something here, but considering the 7MM Mag has been made to use 175 grain bullet since 1961, and I have killed many an animal with both the standard 270 Winchester, the 270 Short Mag and the 7MM Mags (Remington and Weatherby both) and so far I have yet to see ANY difference in the way 7 mags kill and 270s kill (And I do mean NONE AT ALL)
I expect the Nosler boys will not set the world on fire with sales for long. I will want to see if I am wrong, and will be totally happy to admit it if I am.
But a "faster 270" was no big deal with the 270 Weather Magnum or the 270 Short Magnum and I seriously doubt it's going to be much of a deal with the 270 Nosler.

Will it kill the old 270? Well lets see.......

The 264 Win Mag was supposed to kill the 270. it didn't.
The 308 was supposed to kill the 30-06. It didn't.
The 30 TC was supposed to kill both the 308 and the 30-06. It didn't.
The 280 Remington was supposed to kill the 270. It didn't.
The Lazaroni cartridges were supposed to kill everything else. They didn't.
The Weatherby shells were supposed to kill the competition bore by bore. They didn't
The 300 Ultra mag was supposed to kill all other 300s. It didn't.
The Winchester 270 short mag, 7MM short mag and 300 short mags along with the Remington SAUMs, Ruger Compact mags and so forth--- were supposed to kill all the earlier magnums of the same bore sizes. They didn't.
The 375 Ruger and the 376 Steyr were supposed to kill the 375H&H. They didn't.
The 458 Lott was supposed to kill the 458 Winchester. It didn't.

And I may have missed a few. But ALL of these have been in my life time, and ALL of them were shoved hard by the gun-rags to try to make the buying public jump on the bad wagon and sell a lot of products for the companies that brought them out. In every case some frenzied buyers were quick to believe the tripe told to us all by the authors writing for the gun-rags, all of which get paid to say good things by advertising companies. Now and then a new shell comes out that has real merit, but not often. And those that do have something of true value sometimes do not become commercial successes.

SO when a given set of 50 to 70 year old ballistics are re-packaged into a new shell and then fit into a gun that it would not fit into before we often have a lot of merit to look at.
Like giving 257 Roberts ballistics to us and fitting into an AR15 (called the 6.8 SPC)
Or fitting 300 Win Mag ballistics into an M14 NATO length mag.(called the 300 Win Short mag)
Or fitting 6.5 Jap ballistics into an AR15 (called the 6.5 Grendel)
But a bolt action is not likely to be one of those cases.

Fitting a new shell into a bolt action with ballistics that are not all that new and do nothing in the real world we have not had available to us for 50 to 100 years is only going to impress those that are easily impressed, and soon enough the 97% of the shooters in the market will just ignore them and leave the companies and gun-rags to do the next job...........do it again.

Sell the next New and Improved do-dad to those that are easily impressed.

Not that there is a thing wrong with any of this either..........there is not! Other then one fact---
The outright lie that their new bla bla bla is going to kill off those shells that fit hundreds of millions of rifles all ready out there.....and that "intelligent shooters" (ooooo awhaaaa......look at how pretty the emperors new clothes are) will simply throw out their old guns because their 100 year old shell with it's 100% success rate just died over night because of the invention of the .297-superduperimprovedneverbeforeseenorimagined magnum.........or some other such thing.
Like maybe the Nosler shells.

I'll smile and watch, but I'll spend my money on powder and primers and the bullets I like to use in my old, worthless, can't hit a thing or kill anything, and should now be "dead" guns that have served me perfectly for all my life.

Edited by szihn (25/02/20 09:22 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: szihn]
      #338327 - 25/02/20 04:47 AM

It's all about marketing hype and creating something that will make money.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: DarylS]
      #338333 - 25/02/20 07:57 AM

The 7x57 was dead but is making a resurgence in select circles.

The .270 and .30-06 are US classics and will outlast the pretenders as well.

Cartridges that were effective a hundred years ago are still as effective today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #338342 - 25/02/20 09:42 AM

At least with these new rifles, you no longer have to carry a camp saw.
You can just remove the scope, turn it upside-down and use it to cut firewood.

I'm all for 'cutting down' on having to carry extra gear...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #338348 - 25/02/20 11:32 AM

Quote:

What's up with that brass? Are the cases buldged?

No bulges, just marks from a tray or some-such.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #338351 - 25/02/20 02:00 PM

Quote:

The 7x57 was dead but is making a resurgence in select circles.

The .270 and .30-06 are US classics and will outlast the pretenders as well.

Cartridges that were effective a hundred years ago are still as effective today.

Don't think anyone has stated they are not effective.. however, there is more than one way to skin a cat..

I remember the same BS being said about your favorite cartridge the 6.5CM when it arrived on the shooting scene.. naysayers everywhere finding fault like there was a reward for it.. WELL, those chicken little's were wrong.. The 6.5CM is here to stay.. thousands sold per year for LR competitions as well as hunting..offered in as many rifles or more than the 270 or '06.. not that there is anything wrong with those.. Also worth mentioning is the fact the 6.5CM has been adopted by a few branches of the US Gov.

Contrary to much being spun out of control, there have been improvements in cartridge design, efficiency, scopes being currently offered, bullets, powders, rangefinders, etc. all because these LR competitions have started.. with a lot of people enjoying shooting firearms and just plain having fun..

As competitive as the LR shooting comps. are, do you really think if there was a cartridge out there that offered something better than what they are currently using they would not use it?? If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you as well.. Based on this logic alone, that addresses several other comments made about the "good old cartridges"..

As to marketing new products, the last I checked, unless your a Bernie Sanders supporter, THAT is how business works.. you look for new clients.. you want to sell a product.. its crazy but capitalism kinda works that way.. if the product is bullshit, the market will decide that.. not by someone going on about how great the old cartridges are, were and will be.. If they were so great they would be used now.. but, they're not..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6485

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com