Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: plains game packing list

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: plains game packing list [Re: ducmarc]
      #338174 - 20/02/20 12:10 PM

can u ship ur ammunition ahead so u know it gets there?

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: plains game packing list [Re: Ripp]
      #338177 - 20/02/20 05:00 PM

Quote:

Possibly headed to Tanzania in Sept..If it turns out, will take the same...

And will take 2 rifles, my WR 470 Double and probably a .375 for PG..

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful trip coming up. Don't get eaten by a lion or squashed by an elephant or trampled by a buffalo before Oct/Nov! You can tell me all about it I hope.

Good to see someone is doing a safari! And take lots of photos and some stories. I imagine cape buffalo is on the menu from the choice of firearms. Elephant? Selous or somewhere else? How did it pop up with so little pre-booking, someone drop out?

I want to go to! One day I hope before the Human Extinction Crisis happens, international trophy hunting is banned, African wildlife areas all turned under the plow soon after ... I want to hunt the Selous for buffalo and plains game. And when lotto comes in a 21/28 day full bag safari.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: plains game packing list [Re: twobobbwana]
      #338178 - 20/02/20 05:07 PM

Quote:

I note the comments about "khaki" and recall Buzz Charlton's (?) aversion to it but cannot agree.

It works where I hunt in mostly dry Aus and it seemed to work quite nicely in wintertime Low veldt Zim............from Shamva,Lions Den, Zvishavane to Devuli.

I believe the vegetation colour to be similar given the climate so can't see the problem.

I could imagine that it would not suit wet season jesse - nor the rainforests of CAR - but I've never noticed any issue in dryer mopane country. I've not noticed game spooking due to me being highly visable.

I'm not about to bring into question Buzz's experience, loved his elephant hunting dvds, but just can't agree with him on this.............I'm sure Mr Charlton's sleep will not be at risk should he become aware of this.

I'd look forward to arguing the point over a few Castles, Bollingers, Zambesis or good duty free whiskey.............I'm sure I'd learn alot from him.

There is Khaki and Khaki.

British army Khaki is fine. It is more of a olive tan.

American khaki or online shop khaki can sometimes be a whitish colour. Sticks out like a sore thumb in the Africa bush especially in the South where the mopane forests give a background of black/dark trunks.

East African countryside/hunting in the old days was often on open grassy plains. So not so obvious.

The light green/olive/brownish tan colour is fine.

Olive drab/green is also good. US army olive drab is again not olive, but a dark forest green.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338179 - 20/02/20 05:14 PM

Quote:

thanks for all the help its a lot to digest. i'm not much of a camo guy i have a couple of old school green jackets post slant pockets and tan under shirts i use when i hunt here in fla.would like to go for a couple of larger animals like eland.so thought a larger bullet is in order wasen't really wanting to all the way to africa and hunt game the same size we have here. i have a 7mm ultra mag but not sure they make a bullet that's effective enough on bigger game.although it worked on elk a couple years back. ripp was looking at.the clothing u suggested might try some for around here.

250 or 270 gr Spitzer bullets of good construction are fine for any thin skinned African game including eland. Not need for a 300 gr. I use a 300 gr for anything because I was hunting buffalo. And have never developed a lighter bullet load for my .375 ... should get around to it oneday ...

A 7mm with a 175 gr projectile with proper aimed shots is fine for eland. If hunting small to large, I would use a very good 160 gr bullet. Better to stick to one bullet if possible. If they shoot to a similar point of impact well ...

I shot my eland with one shot (and an insurance shot) with my .30-06 with 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Used my .30-06 and either 180 gr or 200 gr Nosler Partitions for everything.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338180 - 20/02/20 05:16 PM

Quote:

can u ship ur ammunition ahead so u know it gets there?

Probably not. Why bother? .375 will be available there no problems.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: plains game packing list [Re: NitroX]
      #338188 - 20/02/20 07:39 PM

I am looking at going to Namibia myself in a couple of years and I am afraid that it will be 375 for me. I like the cartridge and all that goes with it, especially the availability should your ammo go missing. I decided to ring a number of gun stores in Windhoek and see what range of 375 ammo they had on the shelves and I was surprised at just how much choice they had. The most popular bullet weight however 300 grain. Most shops carried more 300 grain than anything else.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #338205 - 21/02/20 08:47 AM

Just remember if your luggage - other than rifles -is excess weight for the airlines you have packed too much for Africa.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #338207 - 21/02/20 10:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thanks for all the help its a lot to digest. i'm not much of a camo guy i have a couple of old school green jackets post slant pockets and tan under shirts i use when i hunt here in fla.would like to go for a couple of larger animals like eland.so thought a larger bullet is in order wasen't really wanting to all the way to africa and hunt game the same size we have here. i have a 7mm ultra mag but not sure they make a bullet that's effective enough on bigger game.although it worked on elk a couple years back. ripp was looking at.the clothing u suggested might try some for around here.

250 or 270 gr Spitzer bullets of good construction are fine for any thin skinned African game including eland. Not need for a 300 gr. I use a 300 gr for anything because I was hunting buffalo. And have never developed a lighter bullet load for my .375 ... should get around to it oneday ...

A 7mm with a 175 gr projectile with proper aimed shots is fine for eland. If hunting small to large, I would use a very good 160 gr bullet. Better to stick to one bullet if possible. If they shoot to a similar point of impact well ...

I shot my eland with one shot (and an insurance shot) with my .30-06 with 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Used my .30-06 and either 180 gr or 200 gr Nosler Partitions for everything.

--

175 GR Swift A-Frame would do an incredible job..I shot my last 2 Elands with A-Frames --one with my 300 Ultra-Mag... using 200 Gr A-Frames.. eland ran about 30 yards and tipped over.. 2nd one with a .375H&H --275 GR A-Frames, it was about a 125yard running shot..him him twice through the front shoulder, 2nd shot he flipped end over end..after the shooting was over there were 2 adult mail lions standing there, they were after him which is why he came running out of the brush... Years ago shot my first eland with a 400gr A-Frame out of my 416, dropped on the spot.. completely exploded his heart.. Think I posted a pic on this site somewhere recently..

Anyway, your 7mm RUM would work great... I have every RUM caliber invented.. have used my 7RUM on numerous elk, hammers them..If it tips over elk, it will tip over anything in Africa..

I have 175gr A-Frames laoded in my 28 Nosler right now.. used it last season.. performed perfectly.. with near 90% retention...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #338208 - 21/02/20 10:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Possibly headed to Tanzania in Sept..If it turns out, will take the same...

And will take 2 rifles, my WR 470 Double and probably a .375 for PG..

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful trip coming up. Don't get eaten by a lion or squashed by an elephant or trampled by a buffalo before Oct/Nov! You can tell me all about it I hope.

Good to see someone is doing a safari! And take lots of photos and some stories. I imagine cape buffalo is on the menu from the choice of firearms. Elephant? Selous or somewhere else? How did it pop up with so little pre-booking, someone drop out?

I want to go to! One day I hope before the Human Extinction Crisis happens, international trophy hunting is banned, African wildlife areas all turned under the plow soon after ... I want to hunt the Selous for buffalo and plains game. And when lotto comes in a 21/28 day full bag safari.

My hunting buddy I have told you about, who does about 6-8 hunting trips per year around the planet.
He is currently in Africa..Cameroon to be exact..Texted me on his way there as he had a layover ..said he plans to head back over to Tanzania later this year..Sept.... has been working on it and wanted to know if I can make it.. I told him I would let him know when he gets back.. hopefully he does as he took along my Swaro binos...

I have never been to Tanzania.. one of my bucket list places to go.. and yes, most of all, the Selous is where I really want to go to..

Yes, buffalo is certainly on the menu.. along with some PG species that can only be hunted there..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #338217 - 21/02/20 11:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I note the comments about "khaki" and recall Buzz Charlton's (?) aversion to it but cannot agree.

It works where I hunt in mostly dry Aus and it seemed to work quite nicely in wintertime Low veldt Zim............from Shamva,Lions Den, Zvishavane to Devuli.

I believe the vegetation colour to be similar given the climate so can't see the problem.

I could imagine that it would not suit wet season jesse - nor the rainforests of CAR - but I've never noticed any issue in dryer mopane country. I've not noticed game spooking due to me being highly visable.

I'm not about to bring into question Buzz's experience, loved his elephant hunting dvds, but just can't agree with him on this.............I'm sure Mr Charlton's sleep will not be at risk should he become aware of this.

I'd look forward to arguing the point over a few Castles, Bollingers, Zambesis or good duty free whiskey.............I'm sure I'd learn alot from him.

There is Khaki and Khaki.

British army Khaki is fine. It is more of a olive tan.

American khaki or online shop khaki can sometimes be a whitish colour. Sticks out like a sore thumb in the Africa bush especially in the South where the mopane forests give a background of black/dark trunks.

East African countryside/hunting in the old days was often on open grassy plains. So not so obvious.

The light green/olive/brownish tan colour is fine.

Olive drab/green is also good. US army olive drab is again not olive, but a dark forest green.

My experience is based on faded khaki cotton........don't think I've intentionally owned an "olive" shirt.

People should check the legality of camo clothing in the country where they are hunting. It wasn't legal when I hunted in Zim.

My last trip I shot solely with my 300 Wby takedown without complaint. Fantastic cartridge and the convenience of a takedown. I've never bothered with anything in .30 above 180gn.

As I've never shot over about 100 - 125 yds in Africa trajectory (.30/06,.300 wby, 375 H&H) has never been a consideration ............the Kalahari may present you with longer shots but remember even a 375 H&H shoots pretty flat.......even with 300gn bullets.

I've only ever carried one bullet weight per rifle (300gn .375 & 180 gn .30) I like to keep it simple.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6920

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com