Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: Rule303]
      #346043 - 22/10/20 01:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun."

Life is to short to hunt with a tomato stake.

Tomato stakes nowadays are usually black and plastic.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
      #346045 - 22/10/20 01:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Steady on, old boy! Just because the Savage is ugly, there's no need to relegate it to horticultural duty just yet. At least wait for the hideous plastic fittings to start breaking off first.

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: Ripp]
      #346046 - 22/10/20 02:14 AM

Quote:

Exactly.. would be impossible for me to care any less how it looks while I am out hunting. Apparently I am not alone, look at all the people out hunting with mausers..

And I'm sure you were referring to the current product line from "Mauser", and not the classic family of rifles that we all know and admire...

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: NitroX]
      #346055 - 22/10/20 09:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tomato stakes nowadays are usually black and plastic.

Nah, still made of sticks.

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: vykkagur]
      #346056 - 22/10/20 09:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Steady on, old boy! Just because the Savage is ugly, there's no need to relegate it to horticultural duty just yet. At least wait for the hideous plastic fittings to start breaking off first.

Just referring to the historical tomato stakes M98 and the like, not the current green friendly types like the savage

vykkagur
.300 member

#346062 - 22/10/20 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just referring to the historical tomato stakes M98 and the like, not the current green friendly types like the savage

Let this be a lesson, boys and girls, on the sad consequences of inhaling the toxic fumes given off plastic firearms.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #346065 - 22/10/20 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.. would be impossible for me to care any less how it looks while I am out hunting. Apparently I am not alone, look at all the people out hunting with mausers..

And I'm sure you were referring to the current product line from "Mauser", and not the classic family of rifles that we all know and admire...

I made that comment in jest, but actually no. And I will probably be banned off of all firearms sites for life.. But they do nothing for me. Never have. At this state of life, (I'm old) pretty sure that won't change. Fully agree there is nothing much nicer than a beautifully wood stocked rifle for Africa or other destinations. Have plenty of them but they mostly reside in the safe. For what and where I hunt, I'll take a synthetic every time.. no change on POI because of rain, snow, cold, or whatever.. don't care about scratches and niches, etc.. and I like how they look..

Look at it this way, me not liking them leaves more for everyone else...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

vykkagur
.300 member

#346066 - 22/10/20 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I made that comment in jest, but actually no. And I will probably be banned off of all firearms sites for life.. But they do nothing for me. Never have. At this state of life, (I'm old) pretty sure that won't change. Fully agree there is nothing much nicer than a beautifully wood stocked rifle for Africa or other destinations. Have plenty of them but they mostly reside in the safe. For what and where I hunt, I'll take a synthetic every time.. no change on POI because of rain, snow, cold, or whatever.. don't care about scratches and niches, etc.. and I like how they look..

True on all counts, my friend. I freely admit that synthetic is the way to go for a working rifle in harsh conditions, and I fully support your right to like the weapon of your chosing. If I were an Alaskan guide or someone else who depended on his rifle as a tool of his trade in all weathers, I'd definitely be carrying a stainless/synthetic. I don't argue the functional superiority; I just wish the skinny-jeans kids that "style" them wouldn't try so hard to make them not look "like granddad's rifle", that's all.

And we sure do appreciate that you're leaving more of the good stuff for us. We're returning the courtesy!

Don't worry if you get banned for not liking walnut and blued steel; you can always go over to the black rifle forums. Those junior G.I.Joes will welcome you with open arms. They were injection-moulded at birth.

Ripp
.577 member

#346080 - 23/10/20 05:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

True on all counts, my friend. I freely admit that synthetic is the way to go for a working rifle in harsh conditions, and I fully support your right to like the weapon of your chosing. If I were an Alaskan guide or someone else who depended on his rifle as a tool of his trade in all weathers, I'd definitely be carrying a stainless/synthetic. I don't argue the functional superiority; I just wish the skinny-jeans kids that "style" them wouldn't try so hard to make them not look "like granddad's rifle", that's all.

And we sure do appreciate that you're leaving more of the good stuff for us. We're returning the courtesy!

Don't worry if you get banned for not liking walnut and blued steel; you can always go over to the black rifle forums. Those junior G.I.Joes will welcome you with open arms. They were injection-moulded at birth.

Yes, been getting mailers daily from the PROUD BOYS..

Just so there is no confusion, I never said I wasn't a fan of walnut and blued steel, I just said most of mine stay in the safe .. but have many of that type including a WR double.. Actually have a custom in 416 on a mauser action (heaven forbid) .. that has never seen the field.. sad I know..

As to the black rifle club.. also have no problem with them.. love them actually.. a ton of fun and very handy should a group like ANTIFA show up in the neighborhood...

Fortunately we still have the ability to buy most of what we want here... which is a very nice option to have in today's crazy out of control world..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#346081 - 23/10/20 06:44 AM

Black rifles you say??

This just come across me email.. a good starter set..

https://www.eurooptic.com/armalite-ar-15...3073a-159862264

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#346088 - 23/10/20 01:43 PM

The main reason for all the plastic stocks by makers is simply cost. They are cheaper to make and cheaper for the buyer to buy.

Sad for beautiful walnut and blued steel.

I have my Mauser M03, one of them in plastic and not so nicely blued, supposedly less prone to rust etc. But if I could I would have all of those calibres and cartridges in lustrous blued steel and fantastic walnut, takedown M98.

The main reason it is what it is? Cost.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #346100 - 23/10/20 04:43 PM

Reduction in cost through plastic stocks, should allow more to be put into the barrels and chamberings - does it or is it just more profit due to the reduction in manufacturing costs?
They do seem to have increased the costs of these 'black guns' over the cost of wooden stocked guns of the same chamberings.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: DarylS]
      #346104 - 23/10/20 11:41 PM

When you drop your plastic rifle down a ravine, or the buffalo snaps it in half , there is no pain.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#346106 - 24/10/20 12:10 AM

Quote:

When you drop your plastic rifle down a ravine, or the buffalo snaps it in half , there is no pain.

LOT of truth in that...

I remember the first blued/walnut rifle I ever bought.. Was NOT an expensive rifle by any means..but at the time I had saved for 2 years to buy it.. put the first scratch's on the stock..was sick about it for a week..

I also feel the reason there are so many synthetic is demand as well as cost.. people like them.. impervious to weather, don't care if you drop them down a ravine , and lighter weight to name a few .. the MTN rifles of today compared to the "light" rifles of days gone by hold a vast difference to one another.. I'll take today's version.. for all the reasons mentioned above.

There isn't a whole lot of things prettier than a beautifully wood stocked rifle with polished blue steel.. no doubt.. but for the real world of hunting, just like in college, I'll take the so called ugly ones..

--------------------

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
      #346127 - 24/10/20 10:44 PM

I pretty much have them all. If my life depended on the rifle it would be Sako 338 Leopold. Thank god my life doesn’t depend on the gun (at the start of the hunt ) and British BEST bring me great pleasures in life.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: Ahmed577]
      #346128 - 25/10/20 01:05 AM

Sorry for being late to the party. Normally I let you guys just go ahead with these critiques and offer no comments. You guys actually do a good job with out my helpat pointing out possible faults.

But, or is this butt? You guys has sure failed in this one. You put Rosie in the seat of the Corvette when you should have put Twiggy there.

A 6 pound rifle in 308, 30-06, 300 WSM. Ouch. Sounds like this light gun is one you buy factory ammo and pay the gunsmith to sight in for you. I would not want to spend the day on the range, sitting at the bench developing loads for this gun. Did I say ouch.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: DoubleD]
      #346135 - 25/10/20 04:03 AM

6 pounds + scope, so a 7 lb. .308 or 6.5 PRC through .30/06 wouldn't be bad.
The magnum cases, no thanks.
A friend of mine has an older Savage .300WinMag that is very light - 7 pounds with scope, he says. It is brutal to shoot at the range until he had a brake made for it. Now of course it weighs a tich more and is some 2" longer.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Savage's new 6lb- Ultralite-rifle-w-Proof-Research barrel [Re: DoubleD]
      #346137 - 25/10/20 04:38 AM

Quote:

Sorry for being late to the party. Normally I let you guys just go ahead with these critiques and offer no comments. You guys actually do a good job with out my helpat pointing out possible faults.

But, or is this butt? You guys has sure failed in this one. You put Rosie in the seat of the Corvette when you should have put Twiggy there.

I watched Louis on TV do a doco on plastic surgery in LA and those broads I wouldn't want to ffff either ... as for the guys, well they probably do well in shade with the other lady boys.

That Savage is no Twiggy! Who is one of those uber ugly fat lipped modern "singers" of a sun tanned persuasion?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

vykkagur
.300 member

#346138 - 25/10/20 05:54 AM

Quote:

Reduction in cost through plastic stocks, should allow more to be put into the barrels and chamberings - does it or is it just more profit due to the reduction in manufacturing costs?
They do seem to have increased the costs of these 'black guns' over the cost of wooden stocked guns of the same chamberings.

You pretty much hit it dead on there. It's all about maximizing profits, not making a better product. Cost savings are NEVER put into product improvement, strictly into improving return to shareholders.

Rule303
.416 member

#346146 - 25/10/20 07:44 AM

Quote:

The main reason for all the plastic stocks by makers is simply cost. They are cheaper to make and cheaper for the buyer to buy.

The main reason it is what it is? Cost.

Yes and no. There are several other reasons, stock stability is one and lack of Walnut Trees is another. A good sized walnut tree can be over a 100 years old, there are not oceans of them and supply would not exist if all guns wore walnut. Now other timbers are used and dressed up to look like walnut or are laminates with a walnut outer.

So we can thank plastics for keeping the price of Walnut lower than it would be if it was scarcer.

Ripp
.577 member

#346169 - 26/10/20 12:01 AM

Quote:

6 pounds + scope, so a 7 lb. .308 or 6.5 PRC through .30/06 wouldn't be bad.
The magnum cases, no thanks.
A friend of mine has an older Savage .300WinMag that is very light - 7 pounds with scope, he says. It is brutal to shoot at the range until he had a brake made for it. Now of course it weighs a tich more and is some 2" longer.

Shooting mine in 6.5PRC ..recoil was not an issue.. ..very pleasant to shoot...have a Leopold Vari-X 3 4-14 on it with lightweight rings..I am guessing its about 7 1/4 lbs all in

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#346172 - 26/10/20 12:25 AM

Quote:

I don't buy too many factory rifles anymore..but the ones I do purchase in today's world seem to be incredibly accurate..

Remember the days when a rifle shooting 1" to 1.5" group at 100 yrds was thought to be very accurate..now that is generally held at .5 to .75" with many companies

The barrels today are better..better metal..better process ..better equipment..thus more accurate, in general, than 20 to 50 years ago

I'll put up with several non-perfect items in a rifle but accuracy is not ine of them..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (26/10/20 12:27 AM)

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #346174 - 26/10/20 12:54 AM

Back in the olden days when I had the shop open I could make good money, free floating, glass bedding and pillar bedding new guns to make them shoot. Not any more.

The last new factory gun I bought for me was Remington 700 VLS in .223. I was going to use the gun for Rock chucks and called coyotes.

I was going to glass bed it and break the barrel in but I had a hurry hunt coming up so I mount a scope and sighted the gun. It shot the factory 55 grain soft points under 3/4 inch.

I didn't touch the gun after that.

I did build a 52 grain Speer HP load for the gun and it would shoot under 1/2 inch when ever I managed to concentrate.

That was 20 years ago- guns and ammo are even better now.

The wife last year bought a new Winchester M-70 CRF in .7-08. I had the stock cut to 12 inches for her. I sighted it in for her. I struggled with that stubby stock, still manage to keep 3 rounds inside a 1 inch square on the sight in target.

Modern rifles are very accurate and so is modern ammo.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5641

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com