Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury -

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: tinker]
      #335935 - 29/12/19 05:31 AM

That FG42 is some gun!

Up until about 1968, we could buy them too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: DarylS]
      #335938 - 29/12/19 06:25 AM

The FG42 must be a fantastic rifle to control in full auto or that guy shooting it is super experienced, only trouble is the mag capacity I would say !

Hell if I shot a burst of half a mag from the SLR, I'm near on my Ass, full mag is wastefully off the target !

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #335940 - 29/12/19 07:03 AM

Quote:

That FG42 is some gun!

Up until about 1968, we could buy them too.

What happened in 1968? Other than the laws must have changed, but what precipitated that?

In the US a lot changed in 1968 as well after Robert Kennedy was assassinated...handgun laws, etc.. changed..because as we all know, it was the guns fault.. f*cking idiots...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: NitroX]
      #335944 - 29/12/19 09:49 AM

Quote:

For a military cartridge a 3000 fps, 135 gr bullet of around 500 BC is pretty potent.

Can those rounds be fired from a full auto assault style rifle? Whatever design might replace the M16/M4?

This is what I am wondering as well. Might simply be an AR10. I am also wondering how seriously the US is looking at this round for full replacement of 5.56. After all they went to 5.56 as it is more controllable than a 7.62X51 case sized ammo as well as a lighter rifle.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: Sarg]
      #335945 - 29/12/19 09:53 AM

Quote:

The FG42 must be a fantastic rifle to control in full auto or that guy shooting it is super experienced, only trouble is the mag capacity I would say !

Hell if I shot a burst of half a mag from the SLR, I'm near on my Ass, full mag is wastefully off the target !

Not wrong. Standing firing an M60 you had to really lean into it to stop the rounds climbing.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #335948 - 29/12/19 07:16 PM

Quote:

its realy the rifle, watch the M 14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAABMvmaGWQ

if you choose the 1942 para trooper rifle today you were not completly wrong

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: lancaster]
      #335951 - 29/12/19 09:43 PM

Haha, yeah he is pretty good at handling the M14 still, but keeping it on a target would be hard by the looks, same as the SLR/FN in 7.62 !

That FG42 was bloody awesome & your right lancaster, modernize that FG in 7.62, maybe move the feed position/angle & reissue lol !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #335954 - 30/12/19 12:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jexf8A462jM

A surprisingly honest assessment on US military rifle choice on the M14 and the 7.62 NATO vs the FN FAL and other cartridges. Mainly deals with the FN FAL.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #335955 - 30/12/19 12:27 AM

the FAL was a combination of the Para trooper rifle and the Sturmgewehr 44

the first FAL was chambered for the 8x33 kurz

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: lancaster]
      #335957 - 30/12/19 03:34 AM

A good friend of mine stopped by yesterday for a Saturday morning Jiu-jitsu workout..He is currently an active SEAL Team member...

After working out we sat around for a cup or 10 of coffee and discussed firearms.. he brought up the contract the US DOD make with Barrett this past year... had nothing but glowing praises of this rifle and its abilities.. can switch the barrels to 8 different calibers.. its not a secret about the contract as it was all over the news earlier this year.. he did mention calibers they are currently training and experimenting with.. which I will not reveal at this time along with other details of our conversation.. It appears the US is actively pursuing replacement models for various uses on the field..

Based on the info provided earlier in this post, I do NOT believe this is/was originally intended to be a hand held firearm similar to the M4 chambered in 5.56.. as stated it was to be used for a belt fed fully auto machine gun of some sort..I will leave it at that..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #335960 - 30/12/19 04:48 AM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jexf8A462jM

A surprisingly honest assessment on US military rifle choice on the M14 and the 7.62 NATO vs the FN FAL and other cartridges. Mainly deals with the FN FAL.

Now THAT was an excellent video. Thanks for posting it John.
The FNFAL was quite a 'piece'.
Our 'boys' liked theirs.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

#336923 - 23/01/20 07:15 PM

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/arti...t-action-rifle/

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: tinker]
      #336946 - 24/01/20 08:58 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeGyFwIhGuE&feature=youtu.be

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: Ripp]
      #336949 - 24/01/20 10:33 AM

Quote:

A good friend of mine stopped by yesterday for a Saturday morning Jiu-jitsu workout..He is currently an active SEAL Team member...

After working out we sat around for a cup or 10 of coffee and discussed firearms.. he brought up the contract the US DOD make with Barrett this past year... had nothing but glowing praises of this rifle and its abilities.. can switch the barrels to 8 different calibers.. its not a secret about the contract as it was all over the news earlier this year.. he did mention calibers they are currently training and experimenting with.. which I will not reveal at this time along with other details of our conversation.. It appears the US is actively pursuing replacement models for various uses on the field..

Based on the info provided earlier in this post, I do NOT believe this is/was originally intended to be a hand held firearm similar to the M4 chambered in 5.56.. as stated it was to be used for a belt fed fully auto machine gun of some sort..I will leave it at that..

As I understand it, here goes...feel free to critique if I'm way off in the boonies on this...

Generally, the direction we seem to be going is the direction Russia went about 20 years ago {except as with everything, we will do it better}.

Just as they kept 5.45x39, we'll keep 5.56x45, but....they re-adopted {is that the right word?} the 7.62x39 to be issued for various purposes/operations and similarly we have been heading the direction of adopting a somewhat heavier caliber for certain units/operations as well. In fact, various special forces have been using a variety of calibers on what used to be called "trials" bases for a long, long time.

Problem with our current issue is that the 5.56 SAW provides essentially not much greater advantage to a fire team than an extra coule/three M4's in that it is NOT really a sustained fire weapon and its cartridge does a poor job of handling "MG jobs" like wall breaching, vehicles, and penetration of "soft" obstacles like dirt, wooden barricades and...guess what...concrete and block houses which we seem to encounter fairly regularly these days...

I remember some really disheartening videos of operations in Iraq demonstrating the latter thing all too obviously as suppressive fire was laid down on typical home structures in Iraq and you could just see the little bullets putting a little divot in the building and nothing much more. Contrast with Ancient History and a simple German squad circa 1944 with a 1200 round/minute MG42 launching 198 grain bullets at about 1500 fps. Literally give time and a couple cold barrels, you can saw a house down. I've shot one of those things and it is a thing to behold...

Further, for us today, we only have one other standard option, the M240 which is really a big thing not conducive to typical small unit operations,. so something better than the M249 and not so...much...as the M240 is needed. Anyway, the 5.56 will be around for a long time, but so will some of these other developments, including no doubt soon, polymer case ammo which will suck for us handloaders who rely on mil technology to keep our hobby up...as if Uncle cares about me and my Dillon Progressive presses...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: 9.3x57]
      #337160 - 29/01/20 09:08 AM

More info from the 2020 Shot Show..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r36hBmzf3A&feature=youtu.be

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #337162 - 29/01/20 11:37 AM

Quote:

Oh No, it is blocked from the freedom Loving US end Thanks very much & so are many other sites !!

I asked them, they block it !!

Same as heaps of stuff on Ebay, lots of US sellers seemed surprised to hear there is other country's out side the US lol !

Works for me here in Queensland, GunsAmerica.

PS: .270 Winchester rocks :P

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10297

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com