Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser Sporter buttplate

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
K98
.224 member

Reged: 19/01/20
Loc: LA
Mauser Sporter buttplate
      #337116 - 28/01/20 03:40 AM

Hello all....new to the forum. I’m working on a Mauser sporter .275 project and have a question. I’ve seen several Mauser sporters with steel buttplates and some with the plastic (or looks to be plastic) buttplate with the Mauser logo. Can someone educate me on the subject. Did only certain models use the steel or was it certain years? The rifle I’m building will be a pre-war style and wondering which would be correct. I was able to find a reproduction of the Mauser logo style and it looks to be an exact copy of the originals I’ve seen. I also have a curved steel plate as well.
I do have the “Original Oberndorf Mauser sporter “ book on order and I’m sure it will answer a lot of questions. But until it arrives I appreciate any input.
A wealth of ideas and information on Mausers here, I have read over nearly every Mauser topic on the search list and I know I haven’t even scratched the surface on the Mauser sporter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Mauser Sporter buttplate [Re: K98]
      #337128 - 28/01/20 08:56 AM

Welcome to the forum K98
There is a wealth of info here, one of our European mates will certainly set you straight soon enough

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Mauser Sporter buttplate [Re: 93x64mm]
      #337130 - 28/01/20 10:06 AM

For a post WW1 rifle, the plate would be horn or plastic with the "MAUSER" logo on it unless a metal one was specified.
Pre WW1 sporters usually had one made of horn with a stylized WFM logo.
Some had horn or plastic with simple horizontal lines cut in the middle section.
Metal plates could be ordered with a trap, some had the MAUSER logo and some had the horizontal cuts.

If your desire is to replicate a Mauser factory sporter, the plastic one you have should be fine.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

K98
.224 member

Re: Mauser Sporter buttplate [Re: Huvius]
      #337134 - 28/01/20 11:27 AM

Mauser logo plastic it is....thank you

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #337138 - 28/01/20 05:03 PM

I understand your desire to try and replicate an original sporter but your project will never create a true original. For practical use I personally would go with a recoil pad, a Silvers or a red Pachmayr Old English if wanting a little bit of period correctness.
I have an original Oberndorf Type A Mauser in 404 which was fitted with a ventilated pad (in Africa I presume) but I have since fitted a red Pachmayr pad to it. Much more shootable than a plastic/horn/steel butt plate. Went off them in a big way when shooting the SMLE 303 battle rifle with a brass butt plate as an army cadet at High School.

Your Mauser logo plastic plate will fit the bill though. Please post some photos of your project.

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
      #337144 - 28/01/20 11:52 PM

As a rule of thumb :
Pre WW1 : Horn with Mauser Logo as alphabetic character
Post WW1 starting with horn til the end of production plastic with "ton" Mauser Logo
The buttplates for the .22 Sporting rifles nearly identical in dimension but were flatter.
The classic sporting rifles had a greater radius.
Some of reproduction buttplates had no "diamonds " around the screw holes.
Steel buttplates with trap mostly found on Type M Stutzen ( But also some on semi stocked rifles ).
Steel buttplates without trap but with Logo relatively seldom.

For a reproduction rifle I would follow eagle27.

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: Mauser Sporter buttplate [Re: justcurious]
      #337146 - 29/01/20 12:02 AM

Supplement:

K98
.224 member

Re: Mauser Sporter buttplate [Re: eagle27]
      #337151 - 29/01/20 06:20 AM

Quote:

I understand your desire to try and replicate an original sporter but your project will never create a true original. For practical use I personally would go with a recoil pad, a Silvers or a red Pachmayr Old English if wanting a little bit of period correctness.
I have an original Oberndorf Type A Mauser in 404 which was fitted with a ventilated pad (in Africa I presume) but I have since fitted a red Pachmayr pad to it. Much more shootable than a plastic/horn/steel butt plate. Went off them in a big way when shooting the SMLE 303 battle rifle with a brass butt plate as an army cadet at High School.

Your Mauser logo plastic plate will fit the bill though. Please post some photos of your project.

Absolutely no question, nothing would compare to an original. But no reason a rifle built to the same specs and style could not be a reasonable substitute. I have had the pleasure of handling and shooting a couple pre War Rigbys. They are my dream rifle. I doubt I will ever spend the required money for one and if I do I don’t know if I would want to bring it into the woods. I would instead prefer to use the money on hunting.
As for recoil pads I personally cannot own a rubber recoil padded rifle. Before my Mauser addiction set in I was a diehard Pre 64 Winchester fan. I’ve had over a dozen in various calibers. I have not found the steel buttplate to be anything but a pleasure on a rifle, quick to shoulder no chance of hanging up on clothing like a rubber pad. Recoil is very subjective and it doesn’t seem to bother me at all. I do not have recoil pads on my shotguns either. I’m not sure when the rubber recoil pad became standard issue for rifles but the Pre War era seemed to do just fine without them. I cringe everytime I see a Vintage Winchester or Mauser that has had the original stock sawn on to install a rubber pad or the receiver drilled for a scope.
Really like the steel Mauser logo buttplate haven’t seen many of those.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #337166 - 29/01/20 01:07 PM

With commercial Mauser sporters, the term "pre-war" really needs clarification! There were 2 world wars during their production run.

Not wishing to side-track this interesting thread, I nevertheless feel compelled to point out that rubber recoil pads were not uncommon on sporting rifles from well before WWI. By way of example, the .275 sporter in my custody left Rigby's in January 1911 with "A-R Pad" listed as one of the 'remarks' in the ledger.

Otherwise agree that rubber pads are not necessary on light to mid-weight sporters of course, but hell, red ones sure look great! Leather-covered pads even better!

...and agree fully with K98 on vintage commercial Mauser actions drilled for American scope mounts. Argggh!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mauser Sporter buttplate [Re: Marrakai]
      #337168 - 29/01/20 02:05 PM

Just to add...

This mob are great to deal with, at least from this side of the pond:

https://vintagegungrips.com/shop/mauser-buttplate-curved-5-14-x-1-2132/

Used to be called Vintage Gun Grips, now Triple K Manufacturing apparently. Used them as recently as late last year for Colt revolver and Browning auto grips. I'm a happy repeat customer going back maybe 20 years or more!

Presume they were the source of your plastic butt-plate, K98?

Unfortunately they don't appear to list the earlier-logo butt-plate. Perhaps someone should send them an original to copy!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

K98
.224 member

Re: Mauser Sporter buttplate [Re: Marrakai]
      #337169 - 29/01/20 04:00 PM

Yes to clarify when I say pre War I mean World War 1.
I picked up the plastic reproduction at a gun shop, no information on its origin.
I’m sure rubber pads have been around a long time I just personally don’t care for them. Especially on something as mild as a .275. Id sooner put a plastic stock on my rifle....just the thought makes me want to take up golf lol.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4637

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com