Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: bolt action rifles in 458 Lott: Kimber or Brno?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
bolt action rifles in 458 Lott: Kimber or Brno?
      #336878 - 22/01/20 06:09 PM

Gentlemen,

I would like to hear your opinion and your expertise about the pro and con of two bolt action rifles in .458 Lott from

a) Kimber model 8400
b) Brno Safari in 458 Lott

Reason is: I would like to have such a rifle for going on a buffalo safari in the very distant future.
The Kimber rifle is currently offered for 3800 €, the Brno should be available for around 1800 €.
I expect some work to be done on the Brno, which will amount for 500 - 1000 €.

Essential is:
- reliability in feeding and extracting/ejecting (slow and quick)

Nice-to-have:
- magazine capacity
Brno 6 / Kimber 4 (?)

The rifle barrel will be shortened to 22" and a very coarse sight installed (e.g. peep sight a la Jeff Cooper).
Also an Aimpoint red dot sight will be installed on a detachable mount.

I have shot big game rifles from Brno and Heym, but the Heym Express is unfortunately too expensive.

Here the question:
Which one would you select and why?
Advantages and disadvantages?

Thank you for your input!

best regards
Rolf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: bolt action rifles in 458 Lott: Kimber or Brno? [Re: Rolf]
      #336881 - 22/01/20 06:44 PM

Rolf,
I have a CZ550 Safari Classic in .404Jeffery, it did have a feed issue initially - but was solved by a tapered spacer block in the back of the magazine well.
Perhaps a stiffer magazine spring would have been as effective but it is a point to check.

Yes mine does easy 4 down (5 possible for the .458Lott)
Stock design is comfortable for me being just over 6' tall, my handloads are just over the 2320fps so not hot, but you certainly know they're not soft loads!
85gn AR2209 with 400gn Woodleighs shoot 1" high at 50m in my rifle

I got this red dot mount below from AHR in the US (They are very good to deal with & most helpful), I coupled it with a STSB-3.5 STS Red Dot Sight. This system works an absolute treat & is easy to load quickly without getting hung up on your scope; it can be removed very quickly & stowed in your pocket easily as it is rather small!
https://americanhuntingrifles.com/accessories/

I also have a Leopold 2x7 scope in Talley QD mounts for longer shots if required.
Longer barrels don't worry me, but I've never been in that dense a vegetation for it to be a problem.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer, so I have a different sighting system (red dot only)for different loads!
Hope this helps
93x64mm

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: bolt action rifles in 458 Lott: Kimber or Brno? [Re: Rolf]
      #336882 - 22/01/20 06:51 PM

I do not have a BRNO but do have a CZ550. I would go with the CZ550. Mag capacity in 458Lott is 5 in the magazine. Normally in the 458Lott they feed and extract well, no work need here. They are a lot of gun for the price. You can spend a little to tidy them up and make them very slick to a lot of money. I had my 2 CZ550 trigger lightened to 3lb and the hair trigger disconnected. They are very reliable.

I have not used a Kimber. I have shouldered them and they are a better fit and not as heavy. The stock is more slender than the CZ550 which from memory is heavier and beefier than the BRNO. So I can not comment reliably on the Kimber. I feel that as the stock shape is better for me the Kimber would have reduced felt recoil. I do believe they have fixed them up so you no longer have to play Kimber roulette.
Meant to add. With reducing the barrel length you will change the handling characteristics of each rifle, not necessarily for the better.

Edited by Rule303 (22/01/20 06:52 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1712

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com